Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FEES (yes...again!)

• 22-10-2008 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hello all,

sorry i know this is old and stale and boring for some but ;

does anyone know when we will know for sure how much / if the fees are going to be brought in?

Where can we get info on this?

Do students who are already in College have to pay them?

thanks!

S

Comments

Max €1500 registration fee from 2009/10 academic year, but that was mentioned as being the start. Fees are still being discussed to come back in.

And yes, if you're in college you'll have to pay the fees.

Check out irishtimes.com, there are a good few stories (search for registration fee or just fees).

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Evangelion

is that a garuntee. isnt that 1500 a "government levy" and independent from fees?

Guarantee of what? The €1500 is the 'Student Service Charge' or 'Student Services Levy' or whatever hte offiical title. It's known as the Registration fee and basically goes towards the payment of exams, registration, and... something else I can't remember.

€1500 was mentioned in the budget so I assume it's a guarantee...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Evangelion wrote: »
    is that a garuntee. isnt that 1500 a "government levy" and independent from fees?

It's the maximum that colleges and universities are allowed charge their students as registration fees. They may charge less, but can't charge more.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Evangelion

What I mean is, isnt deliberatly not called Fees, so the Fees themselves could be reintroduced on top of that.

It's a while since I was in college, so im trying to reember, but wasnt the bit called fees the €80 one or so.

I know there's deff something in the name as I had to go through hell because of the names were similar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭smk135

jaysus this all seems very complicated.

Why couldn't they just leave things the way they were!

or at least let us know clearly and asap what the amount is going to be cause it will make the difference in budgets etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

smk135 wrote: »
    jaysus this all seems very complicated.

Why couldn't they just leave things the way they were!

or at least let us know clearly and asap what the amount is going to be cause it will make the difference in budgets etc...
    They did let us know. Its €1500 for next year, unless a college decides to charge less. Just budget for €1500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭smk135

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    They did let us know. Its €1500 for next year, unless a college decides to charge less. Just budget for €1500.

oh.

So we definitely won't have to pay the other 5k or whatever?

They've decided on one set of fees. That's the student service charge/registration fee. At the moment your tuition fees are completely paid for you and that is what they have yet to decide about. If tuition fees are brought back you'll have to pay the amount the college sets (at the moment it's several thousand per year - varies per course) plus the registration fee (max €1500).

Advertisement