Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N Roses Chinese Democracy Single Released

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I'm a massive fan of Slash, but I think even he would be proud of the solos on If The World, There Was A Time, Sorry and Madagascar. They are as soulful as you can get. If anything its a shame he didn't get more solos. His original solo on Riad N' The Bedeouins is better than Bumblefoots. I'd also love to hear Buckethead's original solo on Shackler's Revenge, and I'd like to have seen him take on the This I Love solo.

Anyone who thinks Buckethead has no soul hasn't a clue about guitar playing, or hasn't listened to this album or his solo stuff - even on the weaker songs like IRS he saves the day. I have no problem preferring Slash but its still wrong to say he has no soul. Its just a stupid thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The first song is gripping but the rest is a bit ehhhh.... This is an album you have to want to like and have to listen to,to let it grow on you. I'll give it a week and then it'll probably go to the back of the cd cabinet where it can spend many happy years with death magnetic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

LOVING Chinese Democracy the single! :)

Pity no Slash but considering I didn't expect anything great to come out of this comeback, I'm very pleasantly surprised.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

That Chuck Klosterman young fella reviews it over there at AVCLUB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Ardent

Anyone who thinks Buckethead has no soul hasn't a clue about guitar playing, or hasn't listened to this album or his solo stuff - even on the weaker songs like IRS he saves the day. I have no problem preferring Slash but its still wrong to say he has no soul. Its just a stupid thing to say.

Not really. I've listened to a lot of Buckethead's stuff and, while he's a technically gifted guitarist, the majority of his work comprises of shredding and multi-fingered tapping. Some have called his style "robotic" - I'd call it unimaginative.

His style undoubtedly appeals to some but, for me, shredding lacks emotion. Typically, the solos that get the top awards and recognition and those that add to the song melodically and structurally. Sometimes less is more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Ardent wrote: »
    Not really. I've listened to a lot of Buckethead's stuff and, while he's a technically gifted guitarist, the majority of his work comprises of shredding and multi-fingered tapping. Some have called his style "robotic" - I'd call it unimaginative.

His style undoubtedly appeals to some but, for me, shredding lacks emotion. Typically, the solos that get the top awards and recognition and those that add to the song melodically and structurally. Sometimes less is more.

You call the outro solo on the Blues and the solos on If The Word, There Was A Time, Scraped Sorry and Madagascar shred? Hell, I can't play very fast but I could easily take on those.

Admittedly, he does shred on four songs: CD, Better, IRS and Prostitute. It works for CD and Better and his IRS solo is the highlight of the track. Prostitute is probably his most disappointing moment on the album The solos don't fit in really.

Bear in mind he also co-wrote two of the best songs - Shackler's Revenge and Sorry.

I admit I'm curios what Slash would have brought to some of the songs, especially This I Love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Eh, have you heard There Was a Time?

Just because Buckethead can and does shred frequently, doesn't mean he does it all the time, that he has no feeling or whatever. You've just looked at Buckethead narrow-mindedly and dismissed him as a mindless shredder with no imagination (You say you've heard a lot of his work, but I can't really believe that if you think he's unimaginative, I mean, you can't get a more versitile, varied and creative guitarist than Bucekthead), when he's one of the most imaginative and soulful guitarists of our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Buckethead has plenty of soulful stuff on youtube if you could be arsed looking them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

That Chuck Klosterman young fella reviews it over there at AVCLUB.

Good if long-winded review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Slash is not a patch on buckethead, Slash is good, but not great as most people think, MTV2 rate him higer than eddie van halen:eek:(but then again on their greatest guitarists show they played JUMP to show van halen i mean WTF!!)

his contribution to the joke that is VR kinda proves the point to me.

As for the hype, how can you say there was no hype, all that was talked about for the past decade about GnR was chinese democracy, it was appearing in tabloids every few months for years. Its the most hyped album ever, it was well advertised(on music channels, I mean lets not target the right audience here:D) with the intro to sweet child, then onto the chinese democracy opening.

If rumours are true about a follow up, then maybe this album is all promotion for the second one and it will snowball from there??:)

In anyways who cares its a good album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mike0048

Hi All

Do you Think Guns N Roses will tour next year maybe come to ireland i missed them the last time round.

Thanks Guys

mike0048 wrote: »
    Hi All

Do you Think Guns N Roses will tour next year maybe come to ireland i missed them the last time round.

Thanks Guys

I hope not, its 'Axle Roses' not Guns n'Roses... I wish him all the best with his new album - but its not the same as seeing guns n roses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

mike0048 wrote: »
    Hi All

Thanks Guys

doubt it, were in a recession, no more big event junkies to shell out the e80 or so to go see them in a half arsed venue. That and the fact they cant pull the motley crue trick again:D:D:p

id give e40 max to see them(considering priest feast is e40 and you get 3 high profile bands)

Now what are the bets for donnington??:D

motley crue, GnR, priest, kiss, whitesnake, def leppard, tallica, ACDC. all on in one festival, which at the minute is entirely possible!!! now id pay e500 to see that.

Monsters of rock 2009!!!!!!!!!

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I hope not, its 'Axle Roses' not Guns n'Roses... I wish him all the best with his new album - but its not the same as seeing guns n roses...
    Why do you care so much about a name?

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Why do you care so much about a name?

I care about the band, I invested my early teens in them...

I went to see Velvet Revolver this year and they wear **** hot - really good gig in a very intimate surrounding. It was lucky that the Point was closed down, coz I could stand at the bar in the Ambassador & still only be a few feet from the band... I'm not VR's biggest fan & hate Scott Weilands voice, but they were amazing live.

The current Guns N Roses is just a collection of good musicians - music is more than that to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jax2006

Take a minute or two to read this review of Chinese Democracy by Guns n' Roses and you will see what makes it a great potential for album of the year.

This year seems to be a year for great bands making there comeback. Metallica done it with death Magnetic and ACDC done it with Black Ice, but one band have stood taller than the rest, Axl Roses 'new' Guns n' Roses. Forget about Slash, izzy and co. because what Axl has reinvented is not a disgrace or a let down to the GNR name. All of these musicians can really play and play well on this album.
    Metallica, for example, reinvented themselves this year but in a way they had to take a step back in time to do it. They have gone back to there trash metal style of music. Dont get me wrong because I love the album, but its nothing new. ACDC on the other hand have been the same for years and never changed there style. In a way it works but on the other hand it does get old.
    Guns n' Roses on the other hand have always been a band to try different things. Some people may have liked the old band still together throwing out record after record of Appetite For Destruction remakes but that too would have gotten old. Use your Illusions brought a different strength to the band with powerful songs like 'Estranged', 'Civil War' and 'Dont Cry' but all of these are brilliant songs by any standards.
    Axl Rose has again done this with another change in direction. He keeps the band fresh. Chinese Democracy may have been a 13 year wait but its worth it. There are tracks here that will live forever to become all time classics. In my view this album stands up there with the giants like 'Appetite' or the 'Illusions', some may disagree but thats life.

Everyone will find a song or two they like on this album. For 5 minutes put aside your talk about waiting too long or saying that it would have been better years ago. A great album is great no matter when its released. Would the 'Black album' or 'Back in Black' be a hit today? I think so. The music world is stale. There is no killer band out there with an great album. But GNR 'Chinese Democracy' could be it.
    A few reasons are as follows. Axls vocals are still great, Buckethead is one of todays all time best guitarists and will be a legend in time for the work he does, the album is a fresh breeze in this stagnant era of musical waste, there are many different styles of music on the album and something for everyone.

I am going to go through the set list and give you an overview of each song.

1. Chinese Democracy - a great opening track, with cinema-esque type intro which smashes into a heart pounding all out attack from axl and co. A great riff and with lyrics like falun gong and masturbation the song doesnt hold back.

2. Shacklers Revenge - Again like a punch in the gut this song hits your ear drums hard. Great intro and solo, guitar players will love this track and axl shows his vocal styles from start to finish, catchy chorus to suck ya in.

3. Better - one of the best tracks on the album, Better starts calmly with a lullaby type song which then blasts into an assault of distorted guitar and hard but melodic vocals from axl.

4. Street of Dreams - this takes the album into its first of many ballads. Piano intro for a change. this song still sounds fresh but it could have been in the Illusion era and hit big.

5. If The World - one of my favourite songs on the album. This brings us in a completely different direction. With a mixture of flamenco style and distorted guitar it has a cheesy 70s feel off it but holds strong from start to finish without being too in your face. Solo on this is worth a listen.

6. There Was A Time - two words, A Classic. This is a song that will live forever. Choir intro with blasts into a memorable verse 'broken glass and cigarettes'. The verse is the catchiest part and the soloing is next to none.

7. Catcher In The Rye - This is the only song for me that disappoints . Sounds extremely dated and doesnt really draw you in. Perhaps axl should have stuck with brian may and released this 10 years ago.

8. Scraped - After a mind boggling intro of vocals over vocals this song kicks in. With schizophrenic type lyrics from axl it really makes you listen. Another show of guitar magic here.

9. Riad N' The Bebouin - alien type intro and the movement from verse to chorus is different but this song hits hard. Great opening delay riff.

10. Sorry - slows the album down again with this mournful type song. Axl is backed up by Bach on this track and it is a tremendous effort. buckethead shines through in this song with a very melodic and technically brilliant guitar solo.

11. I.R.S - Flamenco brought back but then the song hits hard. Axl blasts out a great display of vocal ability but the solo steals the song. Hard hitting and one of the best tracks on the album.

12. Madagascar - another change of direction with horns playing and bongos beating to the verse. This song is a very catchy song and possible single. This is again a change of direction to what Guns n' Roses were about in the 90's. Features quotes from films and speech from Martin Luther King, perhaps a kind of way to put One in a Million right.

13. This I Love - Axl Roses solo song, piano ballad with a well fitted guitar solo from Finck.

14. Prostitute - The grand finale to the album. Prostitute is again a ballad type song but the chorus hits heavy at times. This song uses everything from beat box to heavy double bass in the chorus. Again one of the best songs on the album and worth the listen.

Recommended Songs - Better, TWAT, Sorry, Prostitute.

A truly brilliant album and worth the money. listen to it with an open mind and forget all the hype and you will truly see this album for what it is. A Masterpiece in modern music.

I care about the band, I invested my early teens in them...
    You didn't answer my question. I love the old band too, but I don't really care that Axl calls his current project GNR, especially since this new band have produced some very good music.
    I went to see Velvet Revolver this year and they wear **** hot - really good gig in a very intimate surrounding. It was lucky that the Point was closed down, coz I could stand at the bar in the Ambassador & still only be a few feet from the band... I'm not VR's biggest fan & hate Scott Weilands voice, but they were amazing live.
    I'm not sure how this is relevent. Are you trying to say that VR are better than the new GNR live? If so, you're probably right, but then again the vast majority of VR's songs are utter shíte, and new GNR's stuff is very good. There's also the fact that new GNR haven't toured with the new album yet...
    The current Guns N Roses is just a collection of good musicians - music is more than that to me...
    I don't know what you mean by this at all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I'm not VR's biggest fan & hate Scott Weilands voice, but they were amazing live.

Slash was Amazing live but that was it. i was right up the front for the first date and the gig was half-assed. Duff, Dave and Matt looked like they did not want to be there, Scott looked coked off his head. Slash looked like he was the only one enjoying himself at that gig. Unlike Guns N Roses at The RDS in 2006, where everyone looked like they were enjoying themselves.

Same could be said for Velvet Revolver. A bunch of former GNR guys TRYING to be Guns N Roses but being nothing more than a glorified supergroup.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Stella89

jax2006 wrote: »
    Take a minute or two to read this review of Chinese Democracy by Guns n' Roses and you will see what makes it a great potential for album of the year.

This year seems to be a year for great bands making there comeback. Metallica done it with death Magnetic and ACDC done it with Black Ice, but one band have stood taller than the rest, Axl Roses 'new' Guns n' Roses. Forget about Slash, izzy and co. because what Axl has reinvented is not a disgrace or a let down to the GNR name. All of these musicians can really play and play well on this album.
    Metallica, for example, reinvented themselves this year but in a way they had to take a step back in time to do it. They have gone back to there trash metal style of music. Dont get me wrong because I love the album, but its nothing new. ACDC on the other hand have been the same for years and never changed there style. In a way it works but on the other hand it does get old.
    Guns n' Roses on the other hand have always been a band to try different things. Some people may have liked the old band still together throwing out record after record of Appetite For Destruction remakes but that too would have gotten old. Use your Illusions brought a different strength to the band with powerful songs like 'Estranged', 'Civil War' and 'Dont Cry' but all of these are brilliant songs by any standards.
    Axl Rose has again done this with another change in direction. He keeps the band fresh. Chinese Democracy may have been a 13 year wait but its worth it. There are tracks here that will live forever to become all time classics. In my view this album stands up there with the giants like 'Appetite' or the 'Illusions', some may disagree but thats life.

Everyone will find a song or two they like on this album. For 5 minutes put aside your talk about waiting too long or saying that it would have been better years ago. A great album is great no matter when its released. Would the 'Black album' or 'Back in Black' be a hit today? I think so. The music world is stale. There is no killer band out there with an great album. But GNR 'Chinese Democracy' could be it.
    A few reasons are as follows. Axls vocals are still great, Buckethead is one of todays all time best guitarists and will be a legend in time for the work he does, the album is a fresh breeze in this stagnant era of musical waste, there are many different styles of music on the album and something for everyone.

1. Chinese Democracy - a great opening track, with cinema-esque type intro which smashes into a heart pounding all out attack from axl and co. A great riff and with lyrics like falun gong and masturbation the song doesnt hold back.

2. Shacklers Revenge - Again like a punch in the gut this song hits your ear drums hard. Great intro and solo, guitar players will love this track and axl shows his vocal styles from start to finish, catchy chorus to suck ya in.

3. Better - one of the best tracks on the album, Better starts calmly with a lullaby type song which then blasts into an assault of distorted guitar and hard but melodic vocals from axl.

4. Street of Dreams - this takes the album into its first of many ballads. Piano intro for a change. this song still sounds fresh but it could have been in the Illusion era and hit big.

5. If The World - one of my favourite songs on the album. This brings us in a completely different direction. With a mixture of flamenco style and distorted guitar it has a cheesy 70s feel off it but holds strong from start to finish without being too in your face. Solo on this is worth a listen.

6. There Was A Time - two words, A Classic. This is a song that will live forever. Choir intro with blasts into a memorable verse 'broken glass and cigarettes'. The verse is the catchiest part and the soloing is next to none.

7. Catcher In The Rye - This is the only song for me that disappoints . Sounds extremely dated and doesnt really draw you in. Perhaps axl should have stuck with brian may and released this 10 years ago.

8. Scraped - After a mind boggling intro of vocals over vocals this song kicks in. With schizophrenic type lyrics from axl it really makes you listen. Another show of guitar magic here.

9. Riad N' The Bebouin - alien type intro and the movement from verse to chorus is different but this song hits hard. Great opening delay riff.

10. Sorry - slows the album down again with this mournful type song. Axl is backed up by Bach on this track and it is a tremendous effort. buckethead shines through in this song with a very melodic and technically brilliant guitar solo.

11. I.R.S - Flamenco brought back but then the song hits hard. Axl blasts out a great display of vocal ability but the solo steals the song. Hard hitting and one of the best tracks on the album.

12. Madagascar - another change of direction with horns playing and bongos beating to the verse. This song is a very catchy song and possible single. This is again a change of direction to what Guns n' Roses were about in the 90's. Features quotes from films and speech from Martin Luther King, perhaps a kind of way to put One in a Million right.

13. This I Love - Axl Roses solo song, piano ballad with a well fitted guitar solo from Buckethead.

14. Prostitute - The grand finale to the album. Prostitute is again a ballad type song but the chorus hits heavy at times. This song uses everything from beat box to heavy double bass in the chorus. Again one of the best songs on the album and worth the listen.

A truly brilliant album and worth the money. listen to it with an open mind and forget all the hype and you will truly see this album for what it is. A Masterpiece in modern music.

JAX 2006 I love your review !!!! thank you !!!! :). I agree with everything you say!!!!! *one small thing , Robin Finck plays the solo on "this i love" *:p . I love that this album is so diverse and I also believe it will stand the test of time . It's a great shame that no members of the band were available to promote the album however . I Really Really hope that we will get to see these songs played live some day soon................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Onkle wrote: »
    I think it's a pile of poop. The guitarsound was going through my head. It's such a shame that Guns N' Roses name is attatched to it

I could'nt agree with you more. Not only is the title song terrible and uninspired but the rest of the album is also forgettable and horrible.

• Advertisement

I don't understand how anyone could call There Was a Time forgettable and horrible.

Each to their own I guess....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I don't understand how anyone could call There Was a Time forgettable and horrible.

Each to their own I guess....

What I meant was, that I found the whole album to be forgettable, with just a mere couple of songs that were alright, but not anything to make you say afterwards that they were astonishing, just quite average at best. Overall its just sickening to see that Axl made such an average album, that cost absolutly millions, its a complete waste of money and time. This album will soon be forgotten and end up in bargain bins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Ardent

Forget about Slash, izzy and co. because what Axl has reinvented is not a disgrace or a let down to the GNR name.
    Some people may have liked the old band still together throwing out record after record of Appetite For Destruction remakes but that too would have gotten old.
    In my view this album stands up there with the giants like 'Appetite' or the 'Illusions', some may disagree but thats life.

Let's not get carried away.

Here comes the rant:

While not a bad album, don't even try to compare it to AFD. Instant fail right there. It may fall under the GNR umbrella for you, but for millions of others it does not. It's GNR by name only, musically it couldn't be much further removed.

I can see why Slash finally left GNR. What you hear on Chinese Democracy reflects the direction in which Axl Rose was ultimately trying to steer the band. This change of direction started with the UYI albums (which, apart from a couple of good tunes**, were largley forgettable). I'm with Slash: f*ck the synths, pianos and strings - old school blues-based rock is where it's at.

**= the best songs for me included Don't Cry and Civil War which were penned during the AFD days, funnily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

Let's not get carried away.

Here comes the rant:

While not a bad album, don't even try to compare it to AFD. Instant fail right there. It may fall under the GNR umbrella for you, but for millions of others it does not. It's GNR by name only, musically it couldn't be much further removed.

I can see why Slash finally left GNR. What you hear on Chinese Democracy reflects the direction in which Axl Rose was ultimately trying to steer the band. This change of direction started with the UYI albums (which, apart from a couple of good tunes**, were largley forgettable). I'm with Slash: f*ck the synths, pianos and strings - old school blues-based rock is where it's at.

**= the best songs for me included Don't Cry and Civil War which were penned during the AFD days, funnily enough.

not totally true. when slash left they had been trying to make a 'slash' record which axl said years ago. he also said recently he has the tapes to prove that there was nothing but blues based rock. the problem was slash wouldn't let axl get involved in lyrics and melodies and wanted him to shut up and sing or **** off.

the new album is a progression from the illusions and i love it. i would never want repeated attempts at trying to recreate appetite beause that could never happen and the band would have been just going through the motions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

13. This I Love - Axl Roses solo song, piano ballad with a well fitted guitar solo from Finck.

Good review man, completely agree with most of what you said, the only things I'd really disagree on is your thoughts on Catcher In The Rye, personally I think it's one of the strongest songs on the album. Lyrically well written, great little solo about 2:30 in (although I kind of wish they had left May's on it, was blown away first time I heard that) and my second favorite song on the album. Don't think it feels dated at all top me. The other thing is TWAT, love the solo but other than that it isn't a song I'd listen to over and over (like I would with Better, Sorry, CITR) I really can't see what other people see in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

slipss wrote: »
    Good review man, completely agree with most of what you said, the only things I'd really disagree on is your thoughts on Catcher In The Rye, personally I think it's one of the strongest songs on the album. Lyrically well written, great little solo about 2:30 in (although I kind of wish they had left May's on it, was blown away first time I heard that) and my second favorite song on the album. Don't think it feels dated at all top me. The other thing is TWAT, love the solo but other than that it isn't a song I'd listen to over and over (like I would with Better, Sorry, CITR) I really can't see what other people see in it.

were did you hear may's solo? i'd love to hear and compare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

With all the talk about chinese democrary, now's a great time to go listen to what might have been:
    Slash's Snakepit - It's 5 o'clock somewhere - the material originally intended for the follow up to UYI
    Izzy Stradlin and the JuJu Hounds - guns main songwriters' first solo effort
    Gilby Clarke - Pawnshop Guitars - replaced izzy, but never got a chance to write with the band unfortunately.

some real top class stuff in there that could have lead to some classic guns records.

You're not serious?

Slash's Snakepit was awful, and Izzy's stuff wasn't much good either.

I need to read up on this more, but apparently a lot of stuff is coming out now about the demise of the original GNR that doesn't paint the other band members besides Axl in such a good light. Since the cessation of the court case involving the ownership of the Guns N' Roses name, Axl's been able to say a lot of stuff about the other members that he had to keep quiet about until now (Mainly through internet forums as of now, AFAIK).
    I'm with Slash: f*ck the synths, pianos and strings - old school blues-based rock is where it's at.
    Yawn. Estranged is GNR's best song.

Funnily enough, one of the things Axl has said in the last while is that Slash and Duff both really liked My World, and that while Axl wanted to add guitar tracks over the top, but they both persuaded him to leave it as it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

You're not serious?

Slash's Snakepit was awful, and Izzy's stuff wasn't much good either.

I need to read up on this more, but apparently a lot of stuff is coming out now about the demise of the original GNR that doesn't paint the other band members besides Axl in such a good light. Since the cessation of the court case involving the ownership of the Guns N' Roses name, Axl's been able to say a lot of stuff about the other members that he had to keep quiet about until now (Mainly through internet forums as of now, AFAIK).

Yawn. Estranged is GNR's best song.

Funnily enough, one of the things Axl has said in the last while is that Slash and Duff both really liked My World, and that while Axl wanted to add guitar tracks over the top, but they both persuaded him to leave it as it was.

problem is a lot of people are taking axls story as the definitive truth. as the old adage goes-"there's 2 sides to every story",most likely we'll never know the whole truth and people will believe who they want.

music is subjective,there's no definitive "best" GN'R song,it's a matter of taste.

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    problem is a lot of people are taking axls story as the definitive truth. as the old adage goes-"there's 2 sides to every story",most likely we'll never know the whole truth and people will believe who they want.
    True, but we've only been hearing one side of it for over a decade.
    lord lucan wrote: »
    music is subjective,there's no definitive "best" GN'R song,it's a matter of taste.
    Heh, I know, and it changes for me every now and then, just thought I'd throw it out there. I think many of GNR's piano-y, synth-y things are excellent.

Advertisement