Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N Roses Chinese Democracy Single Released

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    True, but we've only been hearing one side of it for over a decade.

Heh, I know, and it changes for me every now and then, just thought I'd throw it out there. I think many of GNR's piano-y, synth-y things are excellent.

i prefer the piano-less tunes myself:D

in fairness,axl became a recluse for years so it's easy to blame the court case for saying nothing. slash and duff were out and about doing media stuff for snakepit/velvet revolver/loaded and the first question they were always asked was about the GN'R split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

You're not serious?

Slash's Snakepit was awful, and Izzy's stuff wasn't much good either.

Quite suprised by the reaction to be honest, I thought it was good stuff.
    But there's been any number of negative comments from band members about the direction axl was taking the band (a mixture of jane's addiction, pearl jam and nine inch nails), and I think it's interesting to hear what slash and co were writing at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭StiffLitlemicky

You're not serious?

Slash's Snakepit was awful, and Izzy's stuff wasn't much good either.

Snakepits first album was brilliant, second album could have been good if they had gotten a better singer, and a lot of Izzy's stuff was very good too.

CD is just alright but there's just way to many ballads on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

were did you hear may's solo? i'd love to hear and compare!

It surfaced on a leaked demo on youtube about a year ago, not sure if it's still up or not, if I come across it i'll post it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Slashes Snakepit was a good band. Saw them at Donnington and they rocked - don't think they were ever intended to be mainstream...

Velvet Revolver - even though I'm not a big fan of Scottt W's voice, they have some good tunes. They were ****ing fantastic in the Ambassador this year, it really is good to see great players like that with real stage presence.

Izzy Stradlin & the Ju Ju Hounds are a very underrated band & have gotten alot of good reviews - but they were never intended to be mainstream.

As for GnR, as far as I understand it, Slash would write allot of the tunes often with Duff as a jamming partner, Izzy would then take the raw elements and sculpt them into more coherant songs & Axl would come in after and write/record the vocals - Izzys role is particularly evident when you realise his role in the first VR album, which is a much more together album than the second.

Personally I think that GnR were a very gifted bunch of players & Izzy was the glue that made the band great.

I don't like Chinese Denocracy, the songs are average at best & I buy into the idea of a band being more than a bunch of musicians - fans like to feel a connection with the band on a personal level - and Axle Roses lineup doesn't do that - they may use the name Guns & Roses, but to me they are not.

• Advertisement

From the GNR myspace if saw Dizzy Reeds myspace with a few songs.
    Some ok some i liked. I found a better quality version of one song here:
    http://iacmusic.com/play2.aspx?songID=48178&source=The%20Still%20Life%20Soundtrack%20-%20The%20Air%20Song%20Page%20Single

I prefer it to alot on Chinese Democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Lets be honest it's more of an Axl solo record more than anything else.
    Having said that, i still think it's a good record. Everytime i listened to VR, i wondered what it would have sounded like, if Axl was the vocalist. That would have been GNR alright.

Never give up hope people......the true GNR will be back....someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Everytime i listened to VR, i wondered what it would have sounded like, if Axl was the vocalist. That would have been GNR alright.
    It was the quality of the songs, not Scott Weiland, that made VR shít. Contraband would have been an extremely disappointing album had the old GNR released it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

I'm sure Axl's vocals would have been completely different, and i don't just mean is voice....and is input in the record too.

I assume you don't like VR at all.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

About 3 songs off Contraband, anything else, nope :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

A lot of people criticise the new album because they consider it pretentious, over-the-top, over produced, has big long guitar solos, and a million things going on etc. But personally thats why I love it. Its so different to anything else being released right now and I'm delighted Axl didn't take the critic-pleasing route and write a load of four-minute pop rock songs which is the order of the day right now.

I liked Contraband too, Liberted was horrible though. And nothing Weiland could have done would have changed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

any chance of a re-union has been well and truly shot down by mr. rose in an interview with billboard magazine here:http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/specials/axl-speaks/interview.shtml.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Wow he finally bothered talking to the press...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Yeah read that interview on a gnr fan forum,one of them will die before theres a reunion something to that effect love it lol

Advertisement