Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N Roses Chinese Democracy Single Released

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

where you see it mentioned about a 2nd cd with demos? i don't see it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just gots this, can't wait to listen to it.

And what's the latest on the Dr. Pepper thing? Are they actually going ahead with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Just gots this, can't wait to listen to it.

Just got my hands on this today. I'm actually enjoying it. It'll suck for those waiting for Use Your Illusion III, but for those who have faced up to the fact that most of their current line up has been Guns N Roses since 98-00 which is roughly four to five years twice the length of the Use Your Illusion lineup which makes them more of a band than a lineup that lasted for three to four years, then they're gonna enjoy this.

You may not enjoy every single song on the album, but there's definitely something for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Listened to it a couple of times now. Liking it a lot so far. Only songs I wouldn't be keen on are Street of Dreams and Catcher in the Rye. Actually Catcher in the Rye was alright, can see it somewhat growing on me.

I have to say I'm not all that keen on buckethead. Technically amazing yes, but I don't think he's much fun to listen to. Too disjointed and abstract for this kind of music. I'm not one of the Axl haters/Slash lovers, but I think Slash would have made a better job of a lot of the solos on here. Still, they're pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Listened to it a couple of times now. Liking it a lot so far. Only songs I wouldn't be keen on are Street of Dreams and Catcher in the Rye. Actually Catcher in the Rye was alright, can see it somewhat growing on me.

I have to say I'm not all that keen on buckethead. Technically amazing yes, but I don't think he's much fun to listen to. Too disjointed and abstract for this kind of music. I'm not one of the Axl haters/Slash lovers, but I think Slash would have made a better job of a lot of the solos on here. Still, they're pretty good.

I disagree completely - his solos on Better, IRS and Chinese Democracy are technical allright but still well structured and show how shred guitar can work really well for a song. His solos on There Was A Time and Sorry are not too technical and are two of the best solos by GnR ever. And I'm a huge fan of Slash. If The World has same wonderful guitar work too. His original solo in the Riad demo is good too but didn't make the album unfortunately.

I think its a bit harsh to dismiss him as just a technical minded guitarist - some people even say he is a mindless shredder but thats totally wrong - he is very diverse and his solos on this album are really well structured and quite bluesy at times.

He also co-wrote some of the best songs including Sorry the best song on here.

He is the star of this album.

Bumblefoot, on the other hand, is a mindless shredder - what was he thinking shredding over Catcher In The Rye, a piano ballad? Sounds crap. Bring back Brian May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

I am loving the album - heard all the leaks too so its not as impactful as it probably would have been but it is definately a great rock album.

standouts: Better, Shacklers Revenge (not going to be everyones cup of tea though!) and Prostitute :D

overall - quality.

Think this quote sums up what Axl was tring to do and how he wasn't trying to please anyone really - and fair play - at least he was being progressive if a little slow!

“I’m trying to do something different. Some people are going to say, ‘It doesn’t sound like Axl Rose, it doesn’t sound like Guns n’ Roses.’ But you’ll like at least a few songs on there.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I disagree completely - his solos on Better, IRS and Chinese Democracy are technical allright but still well structured and show how shred guitar can work really well for a song. His solos on There Was A Time and Sorry are not too technical and are two of the best solos by GnR ever. And I'm a huge fan of Slash. If The World has same wonderful guitar work too. His original solo in the Riad demo is good too but didn't make the album unfortunately.

I think its a bit harsh to dismiss him as just a technical minded guitarist - some people even say he is a mindless shredder but thats totally wrong - he is very diverse and his solos on this album are really well structured and quite bluesy at times.

He also co-wrote some of the best songs including Sorry the best song on here.

He is the star of this album.

Bumblefoot, on the other hand, is a mindless shredder - what was he thinking shredding over Catcher In The Rye, a piano ballad? Sounds crap. Bring back Brian May
    QFT.

Buckethead should not be confused with Bumblefoot on this album. Buckethead is one of the few shredders I know that is equally competant with slower, more bluesy stuff, and he really knows how to place his shredding phrases well, as opposed to mindlessly shredding everywhere. He really makes the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

has anyone got their hands on a physical album yet ?

Only some mexican dudes so far, as far as I know.

The most disappointing moment on the album is in This I Love. Great song, but when it comes to the solo, its crying out for Slash, I'm afraid, or even Buckethead. It's such a long solo spot and a great chance for any lead guitarist to show his worth. Unfortunately, what Robin Finck plays is fairly random, its fits the song, but its quite poor and completely uninspired. That could have been a great moment that would have capped the album off.

I like some of Finck solos; Better and the Blues in particular, but this solo is poor.

it really is crying out for Slash and something epic and bluesy although I think Finck's playing definately suits the song better than Buckethead's style ... which Im sure would be a more technical affair.

Anybody think tesco could be the option to get the album tomorrow night ??

• Advertisement

$lash wrote: »
    it really is crying out for Slash and something epic and bluesy although I think Finck's playing definately suits the song better than Buckethead's style ... which Im sure would be a more technical affair.
    Not really. Once again, he's not one of "those" technical shred guitarists. Listen to the outro solo in There Was a Time, that's Buckethead, and it's not a wanky technical solo with no feeling.

I know that and in fairness the outro on TWAT is nothing short of epic ... I just think that he lacks that feeling that slash had

Fair enough, but I disagree. Personally, I don't think Slash would have fitted in with the new band that well. On a few songs he might have done a better job of Finck or Bumblefoot's solos, but I don't think I'd replace anything that Buckethead did on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

any chance Tower or HMV in Dublin might have this tonight....
    i remember Death Metallic being available a little early....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Saw it for sale in the secret book and record shop yesterday, if anyone's looking for a place to get it. I didn't pick it up myself, just got Cynic's new release and I'll be listening to that constantly. I'll get Chinese Democracy next week probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

cheers Karl, town is worth a visit tonight i think...

whole album streamed on the GNR myspace page

http://www.myspace.com/gunsnroses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

my Play preorder shipped this morning, so hopefully will arrive mid week next week........been listening to the streams on the Myspace site - definitely gonna take a few listens - has a bit of an odd flow to it, but like it so far

Saw it for sale in the secret book and record shop yesterday, if anyone's looking for a place to get it. I didn't pick it up myself, just got Cynic's new release and I'll be listening to that constantly. I'll get Chinese Democracy next week probably.

Does it have the cd or just the vinyl? Is that the one on wicklow street? must go there later thanks for the heads up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It was the CD, A Primal Nut. And yeah, the one on Wicklow Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭finno

I got it today in finglas great album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Pretty decent album. Some of the stuff is better than I thought it would be. Street of Dreams was better live back in 2001, catcher in the rye and I.R.S are just crap, but everything else has something decent going on and some cracking solos. I've heard the demos, and where Bumblefoot overdubbed, tends to be the more grating parts of the album.

http://www.irma.ie/aucharts.asp

why is chinese democracy at number 32 when its not out yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

http://www.irma.ie/aucharts.asp

why is chinese democracy at number 32 when its not out yet?

That's the Singles Chart. The title track was released as a digital download about a week or so ago.

google tricked me! I typed in "album"
    :D

fooled again !

Got it this evening ... listening to the album is an emotional journey ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Nice to see Freebird had some promo's in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Is it on sale in HMV today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i feel younger and i feel a buzz

its not the buzz i felt aged 12 staring at the album cover and listening to appatite the first time but i'm not 12 any more

at work listening on tinny dell speakers but i'm looking forward to getting in the car at 6 and putting this on the alpines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Im liking this. Dont agree with other's favourites Better (too poppy) or Sorry (too slow. If you do slow you need whailing guitars :D) and I actually really liked Riad and IRS :D

Guess it shows theres something there for everyone!

Its not appetite but what else is? But it is a strong rock album which in todays plastic filled world is a nice glimpse back at better times :)

EDIT: For someone who once sung One in a million I cant believe Martin Luther is sampled on one of his albums :)

Advertisement