Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N Roses Chinese Democracy Single Released

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Since when was Paul Huge an important member? He's a key factor in the almost self destruction of the band! :)

He co-wrote 4 of the songs which is more than anyone else on the record (apart from Axl, obviously). 4 of the best songs on the album, in fact. He also played on 10 songs, compared with his replacement and current guitarist Richard Fortus and current drummer Frank Ferrer, who each played on just 5 songs. Thats important enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Ardent wrote: »
    Is this a joke? The album is being promoted everywhere.

I'm a big fan of AFD and Slash. I despise Axl Rose and everything he has come to represent. I wanted this album to be one big fail. But it's not, musically it's got a lot going for it.

Not my cup of tea - too soft, overproduced and pop-ish in places - but credit where it's due, possibly one of the best albums this year.

Did anyone else catch that idiot muso journalist Una something-or-other from the Sunday Tribune on Today FM this morning? She's a self proclaimed The Killers fan (this immediately makes anything she has say redundant TBH) and was slating Chinese Democracy saying it had nothing to offer to today's generation of music fans and that it was one of the worst albums she's ever heard!

wtf?! I hate the press, all they ever go on about it indie rock! (simplification but they do publicize it). If anything Chinese Democracy brings back the concept of musicianship to this generation, of unashamed musical ambition and musicality, despite its mediocrity imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm not sure Axl wants this album to be a success; he turned down every request for an interview; I've heard of letting the music do the talking, but the lack of promotion for one of the most talked-about albums in history is incredible - once it was finally released it just happened with minimal fuss - I have loads of GnR fans who have no idea the album has been released. Compared to AC/DC and obviously, Metallica, whom everybody knew about.

tbh i think the decision to put it out now was out of axls hands. to the best of my knowledge the album was handed in to the label a few months ago. i reckon the label just couldn't sit on it any longer especially given the expenditure on it over the years. maybe axls pissed off with them for releasing it now,hence the silence or he's just being his usual enigmatic self.:rolleyes:

outside of most rock/metal fans who use the internet regularly there's been no awareness of this album being released. most of my mates in work who would've been into the original band had no idea it was coming out. i've seen a tv ad twice for it,haven't seen any posters anywhere for it or even an online viral marketing campaign. in the states it was being sold exclusively by best buy and from what i can see that was the only promo for it and even that was poor by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

TheGingerOne will grace our screens when he feels like it. MTV asked him for an interview and he told them to **** off. :pac:

The nuttier he gets the better. Makes things interesting unlike The Killers :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

superweld wrote: »
    totally mind blowing album.

the funny thing is that everybody seems to like different songs more than others. some peoples worst songs are other peoples favourite songs.

that is nuts!!

if the world is such an unexpected surprise. what a song!!!

Yeah its such a diverse album like that everone has different favourites. But theres also the fact that some are hearing the songs for the first time and others have heard them over the past few years and the songs that grow on you have got to them :D

I hated better first few times I heard it but now I'd say its one of the best songs. Though I'd still take Riad (or just about anything else) over Sorry ATM

On the topic of awareness, my mate that got me into GnR back in the day wasn't aware this was out. Came as a total shock to him, though he's too "old for the google-box" (Read internet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Ardent

Re: promoting the album - I was watching the Villa v Man Utd game on TV at the weekend and the advertising hoardings around the pitch were all screaming Chinese Democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I hope this record does really well.

I am not the worlds biggest GnR fan but given the time it has taken to be released I would like it to get the recognition it deserves.

Considering the polluted over produced muck that is made available these days it is refreshing to think crazy Axl spent the guts of 15 years in the making of this.

Realistically he probably spent 14 years firing people, settling lawsuits and pooning supermodels, and 1 year making the record.....but the guy is a character and rock n roll is richer for having him in it.

The original line up are much less interesting. Slashs' book was good fun but nothing you wouldn't expect from a 70s LA punk....Duff is kind of dull.......Sorum is a session musician and Adler, while interesting, is a washed up junkie.Izzy is back on board, really he is just ahead of the game..We all know the classic line up (likely without Adler) will perform some day...it's too good a rock story and the elements are too showbiz for it not to happen.

Therefore, the current members are irrelevant. They cannot tell us anything interesting or even something we don't know. They are hired pros'.

The only one with anything to say is Axl, and to be honest, I would rather wait for the guys memoirs than promotional answers to questions fielded by Zane "cock shmoker" Lowe........

I really hope this record smashes it.....I really do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Realistically he probably spent 14 years firing people, settling lawsuits and pooning supermodels, and 1 year making the record.

Wouldn't go that far, but you're on the right track
    We all know the classic line up (likely without Adler) will perform some day...it's too good a rock story and the elements are too showbiz for it not to happen.

It will take a lot of money. They need Axl more than he needs them, the fact this is better than both Velvet Revolver albums, better promoted and a lot more memorable proves that point quite nicely I think.

"According to a Dr Pepper press release, ex Guns N Roses guitarists Slash and Buckethead “are not eligible for free soda.”"

I laughed at this! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

"According to a Dr Pepper press release, ex Guns N Roses guitarists Slash and Buckethead “are not eligible for free soda.”"

Actually, Axl has gone on record to say he will share his Dr Pepper with Buckethead, since he features so heavily on the album.

And in the wake of this mysterious Finck problem, we could see Buckethead return to the band, if for nothing else simply because it will give the lineup some kind of stability. Axl doesn't seem to be able to hold onto them much these days.

• Advertisement

itunes chart figures from around the globe.

http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/top10albums.html

Looks like Axl is doing quite well considering the lack of a proper single or video or interview.

Also I think GNR fans are more likely to want to buy this album in its physical version considering the long wait.

Was in HMV today and they had it at number 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Picked it up in HMV last weekend, I think it's really really good.
    It's a pity there arn't any epic songs on it though, like estranged / coma etc.
    That said the high quality of the songs make me wonder how much the rest of the band actually ever contributed?
    I just hope we don't have to wait another 15 years for the follow up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It's not that bad at all, very different from what I was expecting (don't bother with ****ty bitrate leaks and the rest) but, fair play to him, it's a decent album.

Prostitute, in particular, is a belter of a tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Actually, Axl has gone on record to say he will share his Dr Pepper with Buckethead, since he features so heavily on the album.

And in the wake of this mysterious Finck problem, we could see Buckethead return to the band, if for nothing else simply because it will give the lineup some kind of stability. Axl doesn't seem to be able to hold onto them much these days.

Yeah what an embarrassment for Dr.Pepper, saying Buckethead wouldn't get a copy of the album. Really makes them look stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Doctor J wrote: »
    It's not that bad at all, very different from what I was expecting (don't bother with ****ty bitrate leaks and the rest) but, fair play to him, it's a decent album.

Prostitute, in particular, is a belter of a tune.

It's a bloody good album. Axl has surprised me. I was expecting a load of *****. My faves at the moment are Catcher In The Rye and This I Love.

Does anyone have a link to the Kerrang review,btw? Apparently, it only got 2 K's.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Kerrang is such a joke.
    They probably still give good reviews to Metallica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

This is a stunning album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

It's a bloody good album. Axl has surprised me. I was expecting a load of *****. My faves at the moment are Catcher In The Rye and This I Love.

Does anyone have a link to the Kerrang review,btw? Apparently, it only got 2 K's.....?

That's not really a surprise, I'm sure they are probably still bitter over the whole 'Get in the Ring' song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Poor album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

That could have been saved for a PM instead of polluting the forum with it.
    Thrown on ignore for being a spanner.

So could this comment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 begoodkindtrue

If one more person comes to know the plight of Falun Gong in China (arrest, re-education camps, torture, organ harvesting and subsequent sale) then Axl will have done a very good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

$lash wrote: »
    Never thought I would see this day but it looks like this album is finally coming out !

The new single 'Chinese Democracy' has been delivered to radio stations this morning and it has been played on many US stations and UK stations already ... still haven't heard it on an Irish station yet.

here is a link to it:
    http://www.q1043.com/pages/news/gunsnroses/

Opinions ...?? Personally I think its brilliant and blows away any previous leaks of this track.

have the album since the 21st ( thank you hmv, nice one for stocking the shelfs early and leaving price tags on :) )

of the 23-24 tracks leaked over all its the best, or tied for first,

lovely start to the song also... love the sound of the guitar and it seems guns n roses are actually improving :eek:

This i love: who knew axl wqas an opera singer ??? F*** me, had to listen roughly 10 times straight as t was just that enjoyable

prostitute is The track of the album though....

shacklers revenger.... Eww :|

Catching in the rye isnt half bad, very aero smith'esk which makes a very good mix between axl's vocal talent and they guitarists at his disposal...

having seen them at down load 2 year ago... they have come a long way much tighter of a sound...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Heard ''You Could be Mine'' on the radio in the car last night, can't beat the old GNR! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I bought this album outa curiosity, i knew it would never ever, sound like appetite.

For the people saying its ****, its not.

Its a excellent album, I can appreciate the music on it, much better than the drivel thats produced by these modern rock bands.

Do i like it?? NO!! Its good but essentially there is no energy, no edge to it.

If you dont understand, give it a spin, then play appetite, appetite blows the **** outa chinese democracy.

Problem is, axl is expected to make money and have a number 1, this album was a guaranteed number1 and "album of the year" no matter how good/bad it was.

when GnR made appetite they didnt give a **** and were mental, they were a hairmetal band.

so old GnR is hairmetal.
    New GnR is soft rock.

I dont like it, but unfortunatley like metallica, and most other HUGE 80s bands they have grown up, and are producing ****e, pity the younger bands are doing the same.

If you want a album thats like appetite with a modern sound get motley crues saints of LA.

If you like your music to have no edge then id say you will love chinese democracy.

If one more person comes to know the plight of Falun Gong in China (arrest, re-education camps, torture, organ harvesting and subsequent sale) then Axl will have done a very good thing.

:rolleyes:
    WTF, axl doesnt give a bollix boul falun gong, he also metions masturbation as the song as much as the falun gong.

He shuda made a real album, bout sex drugs and rock and roll, if i want to hear about politics and bull**** i turn on the news tbh:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

kona wrote: »
    when GnR made appetite they didnt give a **** and were mental, they were a hairmetal band.
    When GnR made Appetite for Destruction they were a rock band and the inept term hairmetal (what the **** does that mean anyway?) was still a good 14 years away from being created by a lazy Kerrang journalist.

Doctor J wrote: »
    When GnR made Appetite for Destruction they were a rock band and the inept term hairmetal (what the **** does that mean anyway?) was still a good 14 years away from being created by a lazy Kerrang journalist.

hairmetal/hardrock whatever, appetite was released in 1987, when it was released nobody noticed.

GNR were a hardrock/hairmetal band in 1987.
    now they are soft rock.

also around in 1987 was, motley crues girlsgirlsgirls, ratt, warrant, poison, hanoi rocks,cinderella, britny fox, faster pussycat, vixen, wasp the list of LA metal bands goes on and on and on. amongst these bands who ALL started out on sunset(guess where the bus leaves axl at the start of the welcome to the jungle video??) was the band guns N roses, who were formed from members of LA guns, London, hollywood rose, all 80s hairmetal bands.

slash even auditioned for poison but was told he wasnt good enough! IMO C.C DeVille is a better guitarist(SHOCK I did say it)

GnR started getting big when they toured with the crue, then mtv played welcome to the jungle and now the rest is history.

The inept term hairmetal may have been coined 14 years later, but it still describes to everybody the period im talking about, its derogatiry IMO about proper rock but its a description everybody can relate to.

if you still dispute, look at the video to welcome to the jungle, which was the fiorst video off appetitie, axls hair is jacked up along with duff etc, the song sounds hairmetal because it is.

Kona you are so completely waaay off man :pac:

RonMexico wrote: »
    Kona you are so completely waaay off man :pac:

they are the facts dude:pac:

im entitled to my opinion, i threw in the term hairmetal just to see if somebody took the bait:rolleyes:

just seems people cant accept the fact.

not that it matters.

good album, but a bit of a odd direction for GnR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

kona wrote: »
    hairmetal/hardrock whatever, appetite was released in 1987, when it was released nobody noticed.

This made me laugh. Appetite was one of the albums that smashed away from the whole Poison, Winger era. To say nobody noticed it silly.

Lol, what, you trying to say GNR Lies was the album that got them noticed? Because people had heard of them long before Use Your Illusions were released!

You seriously underestimate that album. GNR had a fairly large following before they toured with Motley Crue, just for your information, if they hadn't toured with Motley Crue, it would have happened on the subsequent tour with The Cult.

Advertisement