Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom makeover

Options
  • 22-10-2008 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

I'll be doing a job on the bathroom overthe weekend. The biggest issue I have will be trying to seal between the bath and wall. The problem is that it is a cast iron roll top bath. The tiling that was there before was not that successful. I am considering not sealing it at all and putting a drain under the bath. Any thoughts on if this is advisable or not?? How much of a fall would one require on the floor? The bath is also used for showering and is in the corner of a small bathroom. No room to rearrange anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Assuming that the bath is "tight" against the wall, I'd fill the space with silicone.

Fit the tiles so that there is about 1/4" from the lower edge of the tile to the bath.

AND run another bead of silicone (neatly) in this space.

That should give a good seal.

I wouldn't be in favour of a drain that will be damp a lot of the time and that you cannot access easily to clean. Just my tuppence worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Thanks for the reply but that will not work due to the fact that the bath is the old roll top that has curved corners. Effectively the bath is not designed to be used as I have described. It is a free standing style bath that you can mop up underneath. My wife does not want a new plastic square shaped bath that would fit tightly into the corner. I have to come up with a solution to this and time is running out I'm afraid. There is bound to be someone that has come up against this before???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

ok I get your drift.

The only other thing I can think of would be to curve the corner to match the curve on the corner of the bath. Use small tiles to follow the curve.

I still wouldn't be on for a drain under the bath.

I take it you don't have the space to have the bath "free standing"?

If you cannot fit the bath properly into the space, then you may have to accept that its not suitable and either get a bath that suits the space, alter the space to suit the bath or end up with a botched job.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

The only solution for using this bath as a shower bath is to use an oval or circular traditional shower ring to suspend a curtain from. I know this is not what you are looking for but its a freestanding roll top no other choice but to change the bath

Regards
    Builditwell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

The only solution for using this bath as a shower bath is to use an oval or circular traditional shower ring to suspend a curtain from. I know this is not what you are looking for but its a freestanding roll top no other choice but to change the bath

Regards
    Builditwell

agreed.
    you would be just messin, trying to get a seal to the wall or some class of drain with this type of bath.

• Advertisement
Advertisement