Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Required

• 22-10-2008 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi There

I have put a deposit down on a 5.8m Tornado RIB with a 90HP Engine (nearly new), has a trailer, fish finder (not working) 3 seats. it has been used a bit and needs a little tidying (nothing too major a patch needs to be replaced) I got it for 5k. What I am looking to know is, Is this a good price? how do I trace the boat/engines history? What do I need about the boat to get it insured etc and how much a retubing would cost. The present owner bought it in a cash sale and seems a very genuine person. This is my first boat ( I have some experience on the water, sailed tall ships many times) so I am looking for some sound advice.

Many Thanks

Seán

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

try www.powerboat.ie as they have alot more knowledge about this type of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

Sean,

A Tornado is a very good hull. Only concern is you say it needs a patch replaced - how many patches have the tubes got? Where is it/they?

In regards to tracing the hull & engine's history then it's not like a car, if there's no history with it then it'll be near impossible to trace anything back. How old is the Engine, what make model?
    What age is the hull?
    Does she come with a trailer? if so what make model/ condition?

I've been pretty clued up over the last year as I too bought a rib. I stayed clear of anything that was patched or that the tubes were badly bleached. A bulk of the money on a rib is the equipment that comes with it (GPS, Radio, A-Frame, etc), The other bulk would be the engine. It's important that it comes with some sort of history cos if you buy one that's troublesome it'll soon flatten any enjoyment whilst using the boat and could leave you stranded. To replace it with a newish equivalent would cost around 7-9k.
    The boys at www.powerboat.ie/forums/ribs-ireland/ have been a great help to me!

Steve

Advertisement