Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the greatest Corkonian of all time?

Options
  • 22-10-2008 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Christy Ring

Jack Lynch

Roy Keane

Rory Gallagher

Sonia O Sullivan

Denis Irwin

Seán Óg Ó hAilpín

Cillian Murphy

Michael Collins

Brendan O'Connor

Frank O’Connor (writer)

Jonathan Rhys Meyers

Ronan O'Gara

add more please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭corkfella

you forgot Jack Lynch who wins hands down. I thought us cork people agreed to disown Brendan Oconnor as d4 tosser he is....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

You forgot to mention the Real Taoiseach Jack Lynch !!!! as corkfella said , on that list there are only 2 real contenders in my opinion , Michael Collins and Frank O Connor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

That list is piss poo tbh, Jack Lynch gets my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

corkfella wrote: »
    you forgot Jack Lynch who wins hands down. I thought us cork people agreed to disown Brendan Oconnor as d4 tosser he is....

Jack, yes.

Roy Keane :eek: Almost drowned in my tea. Unless by Corkonian you mean thug.

What about Rory Gallagher, wasn't he from Cork?

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Jack, yes.

He sure was, neighbour of a family friend. Jack is the winner for me.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

What about Sonia O'Sullivan on the list? Not saying she would get my vote though...

Missed this, get that tosser BOC off there pronto, a blemish on the list really.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭DIRTY69

Michael Collins, who else has had more of an impact on our existance on this island than him!

I can't believe Roy Keane and Sonia O Sullivan are the first names out of the hat!! Shame I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Jack Lynch - great Taoiseach and hurler.

I'm a fan of Michael Collins, but he's too divisive a figure to be considered as the greatest Corkonian.

Roy Kean is flippin brilliant as well, but he hasn't lead a country (yet!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 PurpleLily

I'd go with Dave Barry!!!! Dowtcha Davy Boy!!!!

REBEL ARMY!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

From a literary point of view - in addition to Frank O'Connor, we could also consider William Trevor (breathtakingly good), Daniel Corkery, Sean O'Faolain, agus Sean O'Riordan!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Unfortunately, Rory is not actually from Cork, he was Born in Donegal, raised in Derry for a while then his family settled in Cork.

Ronan O' Gara is a prick. I work at some munster matches have said Hi and he just walks on without saying a word. I know he must get it all the time but when it is one person trying to exchange Plesantries he could at least be a bit courteous.

Michael Collins is the greatest true Corkonian on that list!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Nano Nagle
    Terence MacSwiney (hunger striker)

Rory Gallagher.. born in Donegal............O`Gara, not even close.... gimp!

Collins all the way

DIRTY69 wrote: »
    Michael Collins, who else has had more of an impact on our existance on this island than him!

He certainly had an impact, but it would be a pity if the greatest corkman we could think of was a terrorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Really could have done with a poll...

And Roy Keane, hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

The two Williams Beamish and Crawford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Malari wrote: »
    He certainly had an impact, but it would be a pity if the greatest corkman we could think of was a terrorist.

Whoa whoa whoa, stall the beans there..... Terrorist? what put that idea in your head.

PS. what about Kevin Roche? one of the most renowned architects in the world... And he grew up in Mitchelstown!!!

markok84 wrote: »
    Whoa whoa whoa, stall the beans there..... Terrorist? what put that idea in your head.

PS. what about Kevin Roche? one of the most renowned architects in the world... And he grew up in Mitchelstown!!!

Would you prefer guerrilla? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Would you prefer guerrilla? :)

Would you prefer the whole of Ireland to be under British rule?

• Advertisement

markok84 wrote: »
    Would you prefer the whole of Ireland to be under British rule?

Can't say it would bother me that much.

Get your pitch forks lads and lasses, were havin a witch hunt!

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 23 trynabe

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Jack, yes.

roy keane went on to great things , why begrudge a fellow corkman who became success no matter how you look at it ,he reached the top of his profession made bucket loads of money and is respected and recognised worldwide ,,,what makes him a thug ? ,his past ,,what about his work for charities nowadays and does he not help cork football clubs by bringing his premiership team here to play ,generating cash and publicity for cork football and cork city ,,
    enjoy your tea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Lads would ye cop on. It's Cathal Coughlan an' we'll have no more about.
    The person should be living so they can improve. Peoples memories can be fierce suspect.
    Is that lad with the horn on his bike still going. He used to cheer me up no end any time I was down there.

Lads would ye cop on. It's Cathal Coughlan an' we'll have no more about.
    The person should be living so they can improve. Peoples memories can be fierce suspect.
    Is that lad with the horn on his bike still going. He used to cheer me up no end any time I was down there.

Long gone I'm afraid.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Back in the early 90's. Fond memorys.
    Like then, "penury will set us free"

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

JP Liz wrote: »
    Christy Ring

Jack Lynch

Roy Keane

Rory Gallagher

Sonia O Sullivan

Denis Irwin

Seán Óg Ó hAilpín

Cillian Murphy

Michael Collins

Brendan O'Connor

Frank O’Connor (writer)

Jonathan Rhys Meyers

Ronan O'Gara

add more please

I dont belive sports persons should be on the list of the GREATEST Cork people. Unless they played with a Cork team.

Brendan O'Connor: Why??

My vote will go to Michael Collins as he fought for his country and what he belived in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 niallo1

Jack Lynch came to mind before even reading the candidates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭rexusdiablos

Perhaps if you indulged in the rich history of our country, province and county then you'd realise what was sacrificed to define the nation as it is today.

Its tough to stand by and witness uneducated and uncultured pigs squatting over the flag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

Nobody did more for this country than Mick Collins..and as Tommy Tiernan would say, "more importaintly, he's from Cork. And to another big fella.. is Ben Dunne not from Cork? His father certainly started here

Advertisement