Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the greatest Corkonian of all time?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ulick-magee

Cathal Coughlan and Michael Collins

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Perhaps if you indulged in the rich history of our country, province and county then you'd realise what was sacrificed to define the nation as it is today.

Its tough to stand by and witness uneducated and uncultured pigs squatting over the flag.

Oh dear, I just saw this post today.

Interesting that because I express an opinion that isn't the norm you assume I am uneducated in the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

George O'Callaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I was at the ploughing championships in 07 in Hectors tent, he was asking a twenty something fella from cork a few questions. When he asked him where he was from he said west cork so Hector asked him who was the most famous buáchil to come out of west cork? Your man thought for a few seconds and replied with Mick McCarty Hector looked at him as if he had two heads and walked away. It was of course Michael Collins. I know the irish for boy is spelt wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭corkandproud

Ronan O' Gara is a prick. I work at some munster matches have said Hi and he just walks on without saying a word. I know he must get it all the time but when it is one person trying to exchange Plesantries he could at least be a bit courteous.

What a stupid comment. Would a pilot in final descent talk to you, would a surgeon talk to you mid-surgery.

It show's the limits of your mind when you expect the world to revolve around you. Should I conclude tht you are a prick because of one post.

Working at the game you should know better. If you're Branch staff you'll know better, if you're hired help then learn your place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rigel

I would also include Traolach Mac Suibhne and Tomas McCurtain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

JP Liz wrote: »
    Christy Ring

Jack Lynch

Roy Keane

Rory Gallagher

Sonia O Sullivan

Denis Irwin

Seán Óg Ó hAilpín

Cillian Murphy

Michael Collins

Brendan O'Connor

Frank O’Connor (writer)

Jonathan Rhys Meyers

Ronan O'Gara

add more please

Dancing Dave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

What about Billy Coleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Without a doubt the best driver by a country mile.Too dedicated to his farm and missed out on the chance to go professional.Still a god in true rally fans eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

kcb wrote: »
    George O'Callaghan

He'd certainly agree with you anyway.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Thinking outside the box....

Jackie Lennox - Feeding the southside for years
    Billa O'Connell - Entertaining us for years
    Niall Tiobin - Raconteur and wit
    Finbarr - Founder of city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Christy Ring

Jack Lynch

Roy Keane

Rory Gallagher

Sonia O Sullivan

Denis Irwin

Seán Óg Ó hAilpín

Cillian Murphy

Michael Collins

Brendan O'Connor

Frank O’Connor (writer)

Jonathan Rhys Meyers

Ronan O'Gara

add more please

Most people in Europe have never heard of most of the above of the above. The greatest person / family to come out of Cork was Ford. He had roots in west Cork. Everyone in the world has heard of Ford cars....not to mention all the valuable manufacturing employment Ford gave to Cork for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

Malari wrote: »
    He certainly had an impact, but it would be a pity if the greatest corkman we could think of was a terrorist.

Could you be anymore ungrateful? I am not even from Cork but I think not alone is he one of the Greatest Corkmen, but he is one of the Greatest Irishmen. You can walk around with freedom, equality and rights because of this man and his comrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

My vote is for Jack Lynch.
    The Tunnell was named after him sure!
    A role model for anyone.

Father Matthew however, was born in Tipp.

Gruffalo wrote: »
    Could you be anymore ungrateful? I am not even from Cork but I think not alone is he one of the Greatest Corkmen, but he is one of the Greatest Irishmen. You can walk around with freedom, equality and rights because of this man and his comrades.

You're right. I'll send him a thank-you card and a bunch of flowers :rolleyes:

Are you saying no-one in the 6 counties walks around with freedom, equality and rights? I'm saying there's more than one way of getting to that point and I don't think it's terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Are you saying no-one in the 6 counties walks around with freedom, equality and rights? I'm saying there's more than one way of getting to that point and I don't think it's terrorism.

I have just seen one of the most astonishing posts EVER on boards.ie.

NO...not the above one...that side issue is just laughable and bordering on trolling it is so unbelievable...but the OP!!!

Brendan O'Connor getting a mention on a list of the greatest Corkonians????
    Dear god OP...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I'm really really surprised not to see Sam Maguire mentioned, he was born in West Cork right ?

I know that we in Kerry claim his cup as our own, but he was a Cork man.

Are you saying no-one in the 6 counties walks around with freedom, equality and rights?

Well if you learn your history you will see that they tried walking for freedom, equality and rights in Derry and a bunch of them got shot for it. Is known as Bloody Sunday.

I do not approve of murder under normal cirucmstances, but Mick was a great man who did what he had to and you and I are still benefitting from it today.

Ludo wrote: »
    I have just seen one of the most astonishing posts EVER on boards.ie.

NO...not the above one...that side issue is just laughable and bordering on trolling it is so unbelievable...but the OP!!!

Brendan O'Connor getting a mention on a list of the greatest Corkonians????
    Dear god OP...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?????

Is that c*** actually from Cork? That must make you proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

dh0661 wrote: »
    I'm really really surprised not to see Sam Maguire mentioned, he was born in West Cork right ?
    Yeah, near Dunmanway.

He recruited Michael Collins into the IRB fwiw. A little more historically noteworthy than being chair of the London county board and captaining the team.
    Bishopstown so it doesn't count. Mind you, as bad as he is, I haven't seen lowering himself to calling anyone a c*** in text lately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

no such thing as a great cork anything

Well if you learn your history you will see that they tried walking for freedom, equality and rights in Derry and a bunch of them got shot for it. Is known as Bloody Sunday.

I do not approve of murder under normal cirucmstances, but Mick was a great man who did what he had to and you and I are still benefitting from it today.

Stop assuming I know nothing about it just because I disagree with his methods. I know about the history (and not from watching that dreadful film) and I know about the North first hand. I'm surprised so few people can look at it objectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

How did that idiot get on the list? :o Surely a great embarrassment to the good people of Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

I can't believe that Jimmy Barry Murphy isn't on the list. More achievements than most and very low key and humble guy. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

Cant believe nobody mentioned Graham Norton:(

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

John Creedon . Pure Cork like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Ronan O'Gara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Ronan O'Gara

Yeah, with
    1. Stringer,
    2. O' Leary,