Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics (again)

Options
  • 22-10-2008 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone modding the Politics forum, or are they all on their holidays?

There are several thread on there that have run their course and are just getting plain daft.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its like kids with Sugar and Pillows - you just have to let them keep hitting eachother until they pass out from boredom.

edit: 4 Politics Mods seems a low number, doesnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Just the one reported post in the last 5 days? Thats the fastest way to bring it to a mods attention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Jeebus, if they lock something or ban anyone there's a 200 post thread here about free speech and nannyism.

Now they're letting stuff run without a ban or a lock and there's a rant....:confused:

WTF do you guys want?????

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

There are several thread on there that have run their course and are just getting plain daft.

Have you reported them?

It's all gone to pot since me and Gandalf left :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which threads? A thread dies when it dies. If someone wants to add something then fine, no?

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Have you reported them?

at times, but nothing seems to happen when I do. I have asked for feedback but never get any, hence my question on the helpdesk.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Which threads? A thread dies when it dies. If someone wants to add something then fine, no?
    Mike

its the usual ones with the usual suspects (Me included:o).

Anything to do with Britain and the North etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Learn to ignore! I have.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

at times, but nothing seems to happen when I do. I have asked for feedback but never get any, hence my question on the helpdesk. its the usual ones with the usual suspects (Me included:o). Anything to do with Britain and the North etc etc.

NI threads (and my involvement in them) always have the same lifespan. I was expecting the current ones to be locked by now - as is usually the case - but there is no need really. Just drift out when it becomes circuitous. One thing you can guarantee is that another will be along soon enough. :D

stovelid wrote: »
    NI threads (and my involvement in them) always have the same lifespan. I was expecting the current ones to be locked by now - as is usually the case - but there is no need really. Just drift out when it becomes circuitous. One thing you can guarantee is that another will be along soon enough. :D

the ones on there at the moment seem to be going around in circles though.

Its difficult to ignore sometimes, its almost like there is an action outstanding on you to reply. I'm sure some people get sexually aroused by the whole thing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be honest anytime I see a thread relating to NI I ignore it. The arguements are the same, the trenches are dug on either side and there is no discussion on it just mantra spouted.

SteveC wrote: »
    Jeebus, if they lock something or ban anyone there's a 200 post thread here about free speech and nannyism.

Now they're letting stuff run without a ban or a lock and there's a rant....:confused:

everything my own way of course :confused:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Any chance of the mods knocking out a good Friday agreement for politics? I myself may be willing to decommission some of my rhetoric beyond use. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

gandalf wrote: »
    To be honest anytime I see a thread relating to NI I ignore it. The arguements are the same, the trenches are dug on either side and there is no discussion on it just mantra spouted.
    +1

I don't even read the OP anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'd rather get waxed from head to toe than post in the Politics Forum :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Can CuLT knock a script together that will randomly lock threads and ban users? Keep the users on their toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Can CuLT knock a script together that will randomly lock threads and ban users?
    I thought that's what we had mods for? :confused:

/runs and hides :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

...or do an idiot test that anyone who posts in the politics forum, gets banned immediately (<4 seconds perhaps?)

Then the user just sees the message "Welcome to the politics forum, and goodbye. You have entered a civil war, and failed."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Guanyinamobay has gone to the dogs.

I think its been quite evident: Me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Overheal wrote: »
    I think its been quite evident: Me.

On a rope?

You don't deserve that....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

+ 1

Nobody is getting nasty per se, it's a heated debate but we have a choice, we can censor you because it is heated or we can let it run.

It appears you can't please all of the people all of the time.
    the ones on there at the moment seem to be going around in circles though.

Its difficult to ignore sometimes, its almost like there is an action outstanding on you to reply. I'm sure some people get sexually aroused by the whole thing :D
    I can't MAKE someone agree with someone else. I can't MAKE someone string together a coherent arguement.

For the most part, the new NI thread has been civil and hasn't quite gone the way of the other thread, which we locked (which prompted several PMs complaining about the fact we locked it :rolleyes)

Gandalf nails it on the head here.
    gandalf wrote: »
    +1

There are times when I might lock a thread because there isn't actually debate or discussion but I don't quite see the need yet.

BTW, just because someone reports a post, it doesn't mean the post was worthy of a reprimand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I wonder is there a pattern in the frequency of forum feedback threads. Usually there are lots of soccer ones and then it stops, then maybe a few PI, a few AH, then a few Politics and then back to Soccer.

Maybe we could create some kind of boardsian calander based on what feedback forum season it is.

On a rope?

You don't deserve that....:pac:
    BDSM isn't really my thing, but I probably wouldn't say no.

The safeword is Purplemonkeydishwasher

Problem is G, one guy gets banned, tries to make a stunt out of it, gets poster's backs up. Then when they get banned, suddenly its not a Fair ban, and every ban in that category for a while is considered bogus cliqué bull on the weight of any recent publicity stunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Hanging is too good for them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

at times, but nothing seems to happen when I do. I have asked for feedback but never get any, hence my question on the helpdesk.

I read your reported post, looked at the post in question and couldn't see where the user had done anything to break any of the rules. Ergo, nothing happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You can report a post just because you get bored with the thread?

If you want your balls chopped off, sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

GuanYin wrote: »
    I wonder is there a pattern in the frequency of forum feedback threads. Usually there are lots of soccer ones and then it stops, then maybe a few PI, a few AH, then a few Politics and then back to Soccer.

Maybe we could create some kind of boardsian calander based on what feedback forum season it is.
    A:"what date is it?"
    B:"Oh its the fifth of politics."
    A:"already? My god it seems like only yesterday that it was the start of soccer."
    B:"ah yes, but at least the kids will be off for the AH holidays, which'll be a nice break."

I, for one, approve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Guanyinamobay has gone to the dogs.

How many useless posts do you have amongst your 1800? 75%? 85%?

Advertisement