Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hypnotherapy for phobias

• 22-10-2008 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

hi everyone, i was just wondering what your're opinion is on hypnotherapy for phobias? have any of you reduced or cured your phobia through hypnotherapy? i have a phobia which i would love to be free of! any recommendations for a hypnotherapist are welcome also (if thats allowed)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Donna Laban

My Daughter used a hypnotist in Coventry but he is miles a way from you may be he can recommend some one near you Carla was interviewed be a few magazines about her phobia see www.mirror.co.uk and search carla laban
    hope you get sorted Donna
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

zenzen wrote: »
    hi everyone, i was just wondering what your're opinion is on hypnotherapy for phobias? have any of you reduced or cured your phobia through hypnotherapy? i have a phobia which i would love to be free of! any recommendations for a hypnotherapist are welcome also (if thats allowed)
    I would be wary of hypnotists especially those that make great claims. One was claiming to cure the illness Chronic fatigue but when a journalist friend of mine whose sister had cfs contacted him he said he was only helping people to cure themselves. The cure did not come from him but the cash went to him and his advert soon disappeared, wonder why...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭doctor_gonzo

Actually I'm going for my very first session for panic attacks later today. I'm really hopeful that it'll make a difference, also very nervous!! Will let you know how I got on!

Just to update ye, I went for my hypnotherapy - it didn't do a thing. Very disappointing. Went for three (bloody expensive) sessions and it was completely useless. I'm as bad as I ever was. Now I'm just panicky and poorer!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Ugh, that sucks. At least you've experimented and have helped us all to realise that it's not for everyone. It was for the greater good, doctor_gonzo, the greater good.

• Advertisement

That's true! At least something positive has some out of it! :D My attacks mainly surround public speaking so what I've done instead is joined my local Toastmasters group, I figure if getting up in front of a room full of people and giving ten speeches doesn't knock my panic attacks on the head, nothing will!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Just to update ye, I went for my hypnotherapy - it didn't do a thing. Very disappointing. Went for three (bloody expensive) sessions and it was completely useless. I'm as bad as I ever was. Now I'm just panicky and poorer!! :D

yes, i went for one session with a hypnotherapist in north Dublin and i knew after 5 minutes he was a chancer. One of the first things he said is "your mind will try and trick you into not coming back" lol. When i mentioned that i was down on a waiting list for a Therapy clinic in D2, he scoffed at the idea by saying all they do is let you talk. It felt morelike scientology than clinical science. He was so full of bull****, and i could tell he just did a crash course in hypnotherapy and bought a cheap suit...then hey presto he can cure the blind. The session itself involves putting on headphones, closing your eyes, listening to ambient music and him repeating a script about you 'burning the leaves which represent your problems' and then he tells you he could tell you were hynotised - while in fact i was just trying not to laugh during the session.

In defence of hypnotherapy, i would say the chancer i encountered was probably not a real hypnotherapist, just a Tony Robbins wannabe.

Not sure if i should name the place i attended for legal reasons though.

I'm now trying CBT to see if this is any more effective, but i get the impression there are a LOT of chancers out there who don't have proper qualifications and prey on the gullibility of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭epictetus2009

Doctor Gonzo...

precisely the reason the don of PA [Freud] advised that the Irish are the only people who cannot be PA. This is due to the fact that we dont take it seriously. Hypnotherapy was abandoned by Freud and Breuer after limited success. He engaged the FA and the pressure technique. I suggest if your wish is to follow the psychotherapy route i can source a recommended one from my PA lecturer. I know one at least in dublin who calls PA the 'finishing school for life' and practices with only 3 years study. You do have to be choosey and do the research. One Therapist may suit one and not another. If you dont fit after a couple of session go to another one. What i mean by fit in PA is if you dont trust the PA and hide thoughts then they cant assist you. It is like a relationship not just a visit and a cure like an antibiotic [you give off that type of thinking which is normal] and this is really just from theory as I have never undergone this type of therapy. Would be interesting to keep us in the loop esp on the psychology board. PM me if you would like me to source that info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Doctor Gonzo...

precisely the reason the don of PA [Freud] advised that the Irish are the only people who cannot be PA. This is due to the fact that we dont take it seriously.
    where did freud say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭epictetus2009

good questions and i am checking but im thinking its psychopath of everyday life.. or studies on hysteria.. its in the same volume as him slagging off G.B. Shaw.. so maybe dreams... ill root it out its swirling around the precons. somewhere..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Pretty sure I read that Freud quote somewhere too.... I can see where he's coming from though!

Advertisement