Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dumb Question - how to scrap a car ?

• 22-10-2008 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Guys I have a really dumb question about scrapping a car, my dad has an old knackered out car that needs to be scrapped as it's just parked outside our house. How do you go about scrapping it...?

Is it as simple as cal;ling up a scrap yard and asking them to come and take it away? Does it cost money? or do they give you a few bob for the scrap metal ?

thanks in advance
    B

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

All car manufacturers have to have free disposal schemes for End Of Life vehicles set up with approved "Authorised Treatment Facilities" (scrap yard). You have to bring the car to the approved Facility, though. You'd need to contact the manufacturer to find out where their treatment facility is in your area.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/how-to-dispose-of-an-end-of-life-vehicle

Obviously if the car isn't running and you don't have access to something that can tow or transport the car, then this isn't much use.

I'd say you'd have to pay for someone to come and take the car, unless it's something unusual that people would want to buy for parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

phutyle wrote: »
    All car manufacturers have to have free disposal schemes for End Of Life vehicles set up with approved "Authorised Treatment Facilities" (scrap yard). You have to bring the car to the approved Facility, though. You'd need to contact the manufacturer to find out where their treatment facility is in your area.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/how-to-dispose-of-an-end-of-life-vehicle

Obviously if the car isn't running and you don't have access to something that can tow or transport the car, then this isn't much use.

I'd say you'd have to pay for someone to come and take the car, unless it's something unusual that people would want to buy for parts.
    +1
    I know of people who dump their cars outside a scrap yard over a given weekend, remove plates etc. But if they could only make it to the scrap yard, they could get €100 for their pride & Joy.
    Guys charge for the removal of cars, and then go to the scrap yard and get more money for the same car. People are of the belif that it will cost a fortune, but it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

excellent advice, thanks lads. I'll contact Ford about getting where to bring it to. I think it may move under it's own steam, but if not we can tow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

here's Ford Ireland's web page on EOL vehicles:

http://www.ford.ie/OwnerServices/EndOfLifeVehicles

they have a document linked on the page with the addresses of their Authorised Treatment Facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Is it a Granada?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah that is one way above.

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown CoCo will also come out with a tow truck and take any car you want away for 50 quid. You just have to be able to give the the Vehicle Registration Cert when you go into their offices in Dundrum and pay. You will also then be able to claim back any full months of road tax you have left on the car off of Revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Drive it in to Tallaght, and take the registration plates off. One of the locals will scrap it free of charge :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 snork

I scrapped a car earlier this year and as it was driveable I took it to the ELV centre for VW which is Thornton's :

You can look up the ELV for each manufacturer as I think was mentioned above.

Anyway once you get your Cert. of Destruction keep a photocopy and mail the cert to the motor tax office to get any tax owing and to get the vehicle taken out of your name.
    I don't think you absolutely need to do this but it's not done automatically so if you want the car out of your name etc. you have to diy.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭granadamad

Biro wrote: »
    Is it a Granada?

dont scrap it if it is! il buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 snowman6416

hi

was wondering,

what is the procedure now for scraping a car?

i have a scrap in my garden the last two years
    and was wondering how about getting rid of it,
    and what way will that work with tax office,
    as they need a certification to say it was scraped

and if i got her scraped will that take her of the tax system?

thank you
    thomas

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 151 ✭✭greenermetals

snork wrote: »
    I scrapped a car earlier this year and as it was driveable I took it to the ELV centre for VW which is Thornton's :

You can look up the ELV for each manufacturer as I think was mentioned above.

Anyway once you get your Cert. of Destruction keep a photocopy and mail the cert to the motor tax office to get any tax owing and to get the vehicle taken out of your name.
    I don't think you absolutely need to do this but it's not done automatically so if you want the car out of your name etc. you have to diy.
    Cheers.

The procedure for scrapping a car is as follows

1. You either deliver the car to a licenced Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF), or you
    can have it collected by someone with a Waste Collection Permit (We have one and we offer
    the collection facility free in the Greater Dublin Area, no matter what the state of the
    car is, as long as it is accessible)

2. On presentation of your log book, either to the ATF or the driver of the ATF and
    verification of chassis number etc a Certificate of Destruction is filled out in
    triplicate. You retain one of the copies (the green one) as proof of scrappage.

3. The licenced ATF retains your logbook for a period of 7 years, they send away the
    yellow copy to the Department of Transport. This deregisters your car and takes it off
    the tax register. NB The CoD is the ONLY document that can deregister a scrap car in
    Ireland, and only licenced ATFs are allowed to issue them.

4. the last copy of the CoD (the white one) is retained by the ATF for 7 years during which time we are subject to audit without notice.

There is a new online system of which we are the first to join, this means that instead
    of notifying the Dept of Transport at the end of every month, we can inform the
    Department that the car is scrapped on the day it is scrapped.

You dont have to DIY as the ATF should notify the Department Of Transport.

There is a more comprehensive summary of the process in a flow chart on our website, as well as links to reclaiming motor tax and reissuing of vehicle registration certs, but im not sure im supposed to put it up here,

What do the mods think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Can I take the car to a scrapyard/ breaker, and return the registration cert myself so I can claim back tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

madtheory wrote: »
    Can I take the car to a scrapyard/ breaker, and return the registration cert myself so I can claim back tax?

Please feel free to start a new thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement