Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking Supplies

Options
  • 22-10-2008 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

hey all,
    anyone recommend anywhere to get good supplies for deck building.
    Will need:
    concrete forms (sonotube type)
    post connectors (J bolts and post shoe)
    timber connectors (beam to post)
    joist hangers
    deck screws
    through bolts
    rebar

Any thoughts on whether Stainless steel is required or if galvanized are ok for a deck?

Ive looked in Brooks, Chadwicks, Woodies, B&Q and cant seem to find most of the above.

Also, a good supplier for Pressure Treated timber?
    Looking for 6x6 posts and 2x10 and 3x10 beams/joists

cheers all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

try mcmahons or buckleys. i posted in your other thread 6x6 10x2 thats way too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Your local builders providers will probably supply all the above, and help you out choosing materials/quantities. Mine did, anyway. You might even find them cheaper than some of the places you mentioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you do use Galvanised componentry, make sure it is real hot dip galv. not the faux shiny galv that is only microns thick.
    Otherwise S/s will last you for the next time you deck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If you do use Galvanised componentry, make sure it is real hot dip galv. not the faux shiny galv that is only microns thick.
    Otherwise S/s will last you for the next time you deck :)

yeah thats what I was worrying about. Any easy way to tell other than relying on the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hot dip is dull grey and rough feeling, shyte galv is shiny and smooth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement