Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista Exam - 70-620

Options
  • 22-10-2008 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm booked to do this exam in over a week days. I've worked with Vista for about 6 months, and just finished reading the MS Press book on 70-620, and the included MeasureUp (also lot's of XP experience prior to this and an XP/2003 MCSA).

Basically wondering if anyone has done the exam recently? and what to expect? Topics covered, what to look out for and so on.

Also, I understand that there were no simulations in the initial phase of this exam, but that they've added a lot of them since?

All advice and experience welcome!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

You should be fine

The exam isnt that overly difficult. How are you scoring currently on the MeasureUp exams???

With prior experience of XP and Windows 2003 you will find the exam ok, just need to really read the questions, as if you are too quick you will invaribaly choose the XP/2003 version rather than the Vista way if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Getting around 90% in the MeasureUps. Unlike previous MS exams I done, this one seems like more of a promotional tool than a test of technical skills. Even the XBox360 gets a mention in the MS book!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Just passed this exam. Found it harder than I expected. 64 questions, about 6 simulations - never seen that many on an MS exam. Thought there was a higher level of ambiguity in the questions than I'd ever experienced before.

And one serious gripe, compared with the XP MS training material, and exam - this does not really reinforce or test skills which would be required in a typical workplace.
    For example, in the XP exam a novice IT user would get some grasp of these fundamentals:
    Printing - Local, server, ip.
    Share Permissions
    NTFS Permission
    FAT v. NTFS
    Disk Types
    Trouble shooting boot up and driver issues
    And would easily be able to make the transition to working with Windows Server 2000/2003.

This exam moves away from the idea of it being a workplace "workstation" OS, and focuses on all the multiple versions - from Home Starter to Ultimate whatever.
    And all the various features of the OS, Windows Mail, Windows Sidebar (that essential tool of every business), Windows Sideshow, Windows Media Centre, Windows Media Centre Extensions (e.g. the XboX 360), Meeting Place, Defender, RSS Feeds, the IE7 Search Bar, and least we forget a LOT of questions on the swishy Aero interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I think the 70-621 exam is more enterprise focused whereas the 620 exam is a general overview. I passed the 620 exam a while back and found it hard to know which answer they were looking for since sometimes it looked like it could be either of 2 or so. That seems to be the way it is with MS exams though. I found the Cisco CCNA exams much clearer in what they asked. Maybe MS's point is that in the real world nothing is ever really laid out clearly, i dunno.

Were there any simulations?

Anyway, well done on passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

Hi there

What % do the simulations count for?

Thanks
    Noel

• Advertisement

If you fail the sims you fail the exam.. you need to pass both the question and sims to get the exam..

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

Ginger wrote: »
    If you fail the sims you fail the exam.. you need to pass both the question and sims to get the exam..

thanks where would i get some sample sims?

Noel

By using Vista.. its a case of doing a task... for example.. create a user name X with a pasword Y who is allowed to install software but not change system settings...

So mainly its a task within the environment

Advertisement