Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Republican Ticket - Strategic??

Options
  • 22-10-2008 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Is it just me or does it seem like the Republicans have decided that they'd prefer not to be in power for the next 4 years?

They selected an old man with heart problems and very quirky woman, It's a big country......I'm sure that they could have done better. And then Powell backs Obama.

I would agree with their ?"strategy"?
    They may have seen some of the current day issues coming down the track and decided to let Democrats deal with them and get the blame for not sorting out? Economy, Withdrawls from Iraq and Afgan missions.
    Maybe they blame Clinton for current economic situation and want Democrats to have the hassle of sorting it out? Tax increases aren't going to be popular when the elections are due up again in 4 years time.

Could they be that smart?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

No way. McCain was the choice from the primaries, not the GOP think top brass, who I think preferred Giuliani for his 9/11 'credentials.' And no matter what the attraction of letting the democrats take the blame for the economic troubles to come, nothing is more attractive to Republicans (McCain especially) than being in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There's no way McCain would allow them to make him the fall guy, after wanting to be president for so many years (at least a decade, but I assume he's been power hungry for many years before that). Conspiracy theories forume is over there ---->>> (or is it? >.< )

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Their strategy was sound. I don't think they could have done any better than picking McCain. The problem was the execution of it, when it got hijacked by the conservative base and some idiots running the campaign (Maybe they were part of the conservative base, I don't know). The Republicans as a whole didn't screw up, but the campaign types did a wonderful number on it.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

it though the same when it was kerry v bush, how disappoint was I

• Registered Users Posts: 83,264 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh sure. Treat the Dems like America's Janitors. Sh!t on everything and then tell Clinton to go fetch the Sawdust like a dear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement