Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Ramsay Cook Along

• 22-10-2008 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Anyone doing the cook along with Gordon Ramsay this Friday at 9?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Hi Victor,

I'm going to do it, just did up my list of ingredients as have some of the stuff already.

Am doing it for two so hopefully I can divide everything ok, not sure how that will work with the egg but will try to improvise....

Menu sounds nice I think, the ingredients are working out quite expensive although defo cheaper than heading out to a restauraunt and getting taxis etc....

Anyone else doing it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Hi Victor,

I'm going to do it, just did up my list of ingredients as have some of the stuff already.

Am doing it for two so hopefully I can divide everything ok, not sure how that will work with the egg but will try to improvise....

Menu sounds nice I think, the ingredients are working out quite expensive although defo cheaper than heading out to a restauraunt and getting taxis etc....

Anyone else doing it??

Forgot it was on. What are the ingredients, or what is the dish?? I tried to google it but the C4 website is blocked in work.

If it's appealing i'll give it a lash..

Starter:

Warm goats cheese salad with an apple and walnut vinaigrette

Mains:

Salmon en croute with herbed new potatoes and garlic sauteed broccoli

Dessert:

Caramelised rhubarb and ginger crumble with clotted cream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Sounds delish, I've no TV in the kitchen though so I'll just have to watch it and try to recreate it later :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

I did last years menu a few weeks afterwards (I think its all on the channel 4 site) and it was good. Not sure that I could be bothered doing the live cook along as its a lot of hassle but I will definately check out the menu and might give it a go at a later date (works as well that you see the feedback on the menu and prep of same before you try!)

• Advertisement

Finding it hard to get my hands on any rhubarb, anyone any ideas of what I could substitute it with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Finding it hard to get my hands on any rhubarb, anyone any ideas of what I could substitute it with?

Superquinn used to always have it but that said I havnt come across it recently (havnt been looking either though). Alternatively if you are in Dublin try a group of stores called Get Fresh (one in Sundrive and another in Rathfarnum) that might well have it.

Also ask around as some very strange people (inc relatives of mine) grow it in their gardens and are unsually proud of the fact!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Substitute apples for the rhubarb in the dessert crumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Apple.

But there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get some. Go to a fruit and veg shop and not a Tesco...
    Remember not to cook rhubarb in an Aluminium pot, cause you'll die* from the toxins.

*You may not actually die, but it's not advisable.

Really? I never heard that before, I think all my pots are aluminium..... I don't want to die mid cookalong :D

Will apple be nice with ginger? Or would some type of berry crumble be nicer?

Tried a fruit and veg shop, no rhubarb to be found, is it even the season for rhubarb??

• Advertisement

I was surprised to see rhubarb on the menu, isn't it out of season, or at least past it's best? I haven't seen it around much lately, Tesco had it a couple of weeks ago, but it didn't look great. I made a crumble around a month ago, with rhubarb I got in Lidl, but the rhubarb didn't cook nicely.

Meant to say I couldn't find clotted cream anywhere last night, any suggestions for alternatives?

I'd say double cream would be fine, it's just to serve alongside the crumble. I found clotted cream in Fresh supermarket on Malahide Road, think there's a few of them about if that's any help....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I think it's on too late at 9pm to cookalong... it will be 10pm before you eat/ finish eating a 3 course meal...
    I will tune in anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Meant to say I couldn't find clotted cream anywhere last night, any suggestions for alternatives?
    I've seen it in Dunnes at Cornelscourt occasionally.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm in Limerick though so can't try any of the shops mentioned, I remember looking for it before and not being able to find it. I got some regular cream so I'll probably just whip that with a bit of sugar instead.

I agree that 9 is a bit late so I'm just going to watch it tonight and make if over the weekend, 7 or 8 would be a much better time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Rhubarb it seems is completely out of season, I have been hunting for it all week, nobody has it, nor have they for weeks now. Surprising that its on the menu!

As for the comments about the lateness, I think (open to correction here) that you cook and eat as you go, i.e prepare the dessert, and main, make starter, eat it, as it's been eaten, main is in the oven, I get the impression that after the hour the dessert should be ready and you have it with a coffee and turn off the TV.

Just taken from the cook along website:

I haven’t been able to get hold of fresh rhubarb, do you have any suggestions for an alternative?
    Rhubarb

If you can’t find fresh rhubarb, why not try making the crumble with a different fruit. Plums would work particularly well, stoned and sliced into wedges before pan-frying. Aim to cook 2 medium plums per person. Or, how about giving some Bramley apples a go? They’ve got plenty of flavour and cook beautifully.

Peel, quarter, core and slice 2 large apples for four people. Pears could also be used – go for a traditional British variety such as Conference - and try tossing with a few blackberries before baking to make the filling extra juicy. If using plums or pears, reduce the caster sugar to around 75g - they won’t need sweetening as much as rhubarb or Bramleys.

Thanks for that Victor, I bought apples for the crumble....

It's a bit weird that he picked a fruit that's out of season, I rang every supermarket within 10 miles today! Can't get it anywhere.....

Looking forward to it now!!!

It is very late, I think 8pm might have been better? Anyway I can't wait. I won't be cooking along as I got too hungry and ate already but I'll definitely make it another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Well - Did anyone else try it? Bloody mental, all i can say is I don't know how anyone managed to keep up without sky Plus! Starter was a bit underwhelming, tasty but general consensus was that it didn't taste as good as the effort that went into it, if you know what I mean. We should have made more vinegarette, it was delicious though.
    Salmon was sublime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As was the desert.

All in all, it was a bit mental but we were cooking for 6 (boozers and chatters, so keeping everyone focused was the hard bit)

Good craic, but will need to be a bit more organized for the next one.

It was madness! No Sky plus so myself and the OH were running around like lunatics, at one stage he dropped the salad leaves on the floor, the toast burnt and the smoke alarm started going off (we had a few glasses of wine taken by the time it started)!!!

Would agree with you about the starter, wasn't great. The salmon and the garlic broccoli was fab and the dessert was very tasty, would have preferred rhubarb to apples though I think. Going to have my leftover salmon en croute for lunch now :D

Will probably do it again next week, was a really good laugh...

• Advertisement
Advertisement