Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

best insurer

Options
  • 22-10-2008 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I was looking around for prices for insurance. I rang my brother and asked him where's he insured and he told me quinn because they are good for younger lads. Any know what insurer might me good for me to look at. 26 year old female. It's my first car and a bit of advice would be helpful. I just did a quick search on the internet and hibernian seemed good, I'm still going to ring up the places and get them down.

You can probably ignore all that and just answer what insurers are good for 1st time female driver.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

I personally use an insurance broker...... they do the foot work and have worked out quiet well in the past price wise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i have used hibernian on line for the last 3 years. i call about 10-15 insurance companies/brokers every year and get quotes. i always find hibernian online cheaper, even cheaper than the quote that they post me every year by about 50-100 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,680 ✭✭✭Trampas

Zurich are good for women.

remember cheap isn't always best.

look at the extras you are getting also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭handbraker

I shopped around with about 10 companies last time and found fbd the cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I find Axa to be really good. They've always been really good to me and very helpful whenever I had a question. The one time I had a problem they were really quick to sort it and very apologetic. You also get a discount card with them for places like Halfords and DID Electical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Had been with Axa for a few years, but this year found Onedirect cheaper by over 150 euros, if nothing else worth giving them a shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Miharu

If you're with AIB and have internet banking they are giving a 25% reduction on car insurance at the moment.

I'm a 26 yr old female and it's my first car and this was the cheapest option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

best to ask a couple different brokers
    see if any broker from sertus is near you

http://www.sertus.ie/brokers.asp

down through the years we always insured with fbd until i looked for cover for my children

we shopped around & saved almost €2K on 5 vehicles by splitting the policies

I have 2 commerical with Setanta, car with hibernian, wife's car with quinn (son 17 named driver) & my daughter has her own cover with Axa,

f. 26 should get a competitive quote

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

FBD was cheapest for me last year but quinn this year, but i got a very good quote for a new car from First Ireland, you can apply for a quote online and they email you back a few days later

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm on a female only policy from Royal & SunAlliance, which I got through the brokers insure.ie. I'm still with them 2 years later as they keep offering the best renewal quotes.

Insure.ie have a really nice set of service agents as well - I haven't had a bad experience yet, touch wood.

Make sure to shop around, and make sure to try some brokers as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭zenit

I would urge everyone to avoid Hibernian as they plan to move 800 jobs to India. I have no VI, just hate to see Irish people lose jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

zenit wrote: »
    I would urge everyone to avoid Hibernian as they plan to move 800 jobs to India. I have no VI, just hate to see Irish people lose jobs.
    I'm with Hibernian, paying €475 comp on a Forester 2.5XT including protected bonus & open driving. The next lowest quote I got was €750 from Eagle Star, FBD wanted €1,200. Do you really expect me to pay €300+ extra to subsidise Irish workers? Even if so, where does it stop? Why not only give business to Dublin workers? Or ones within a 5km radius?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

OP Im with Quinn....they were the cheapest for me. Im a "young fella" and they were the cheapest. The extention to drive other peoples cars was also very useful.

Anyway I did a quick scan of this thread and as you can clearly see everyone has a different opinion. The best advice I can give you is to ring around and see whats the best you can get. As someone already said the best may not mean the cheapest, it depends on what your looking for - all policies are different.

It is up to you to do your research before you purchase your policy, there is no point in complaning to someone on the phone if you find out when you go to claim that your not covered for something. You can request a copy of a standard policy booklet from all of the insurers you ring and that may help you decide. Most people dont do this obvioulsy but it might be no harm to even give one policy a read :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'm with Hibernian, paying €475 comp on a Forester 2.5XT including protected bonus & open driving. The next lowest quote I got was €750 from Eagle Star, FBD wanted €1,200. Do you really expect me to pay €300+ extra to subsidise Irish workers? Even if so, where does it stop? Why not only give business to Dublin workers? Or ones within a 5km radius?
    I agree with you, the cheaper the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭zenit

Anan1 wrote: »

Would you still use Hibernian if Eagle Star quoted €475? Where it stops is other companies being unable to compete with Hibernian and being forced to outsource their jobs to low cost economies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

The best value company is the best...

Look at what you are getting and pay the least you can for it.

I have never stayed with the same insurance co for more than one year, other companies have always beaten my renewal quote considerably.

I'm with Quinn at the moment on the Focus, and Hibernian on the Capri. If I have an accident, neither company will be my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

zenit wrote: »

I have moved my business, home, & agricultural insurance to hibernian after 30 years plus with fbd

if I didn't make the move I would be forced to cut back even further & would have added another 3 or 4 names to the live register

I have moved my commercial insurance to setanta of malta

after almost 40 years of paying my taxes, got such a kick in the b******s in the last budget we have just decided "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

Advertisement