Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found cavalier

Options
  • 22-10-2008 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Yesterday in Portarlington i found a youngish male cavalier, not sure if chipped yet going to vet tomorrow. He is a beautiful boy, great with kids very good with other dogs, walks brill on lead. I have contacted everyone i can think of, police, vets, warden, sites and local radio station etc. The prob is that the poor dog is skin and bone, the only thing i have got him interested in is ham, apart from this he is fine, in good form and very lively. Any one any ideas how to get him interested in food. As i said he is going to vets in the morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

People here are a lot more qualified than me to give advice, but in the intrim I'd suggest that its more important to have him take fluids and rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Hi Mary123,

You should contact Karlin on info@cavaliertalk.com she runs the Irish Cavalier Rescue. In the mean time regarding food I would give him something bland like boiled chicken and rice.

Good luck, let us know the outcome...

Leah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Had him at vets thought better not to wait till morning. They think he is only about 8 months at the most. cant find nothing wrong with him. Will do further tests in a few days if not eating. I really dont think he is sick as such as he is full of life. He is a lovely boy.

Ownerws have been found.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sam_mom1

awww i like a happy ending.... i bet they were sick with worry...

• Advertisement

sam_mom1 wrote: »
    awww i like a happy ending.... i bet they were sick with worry...

Well they seemed to be, but coouldnt give me a proper answer how the poor little thing his name was Tiger could be so skinny, he was only missing over night. I really wish the owners didnt come forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

mary123 wrote: »
    Well they seemed to be, but coouldnt give me a proper answer how the poor little thing his name was Tiger could be so skinny, he was only missing over night. I really wish the owners didnt come forward.

Hmm.....doesn't sound good. Is there anyway someone like the SPCA can do an inspection of the conditions the animal is kept in?

Noopti wrote: »
    Hmm.....doesn't sound good. Is there anyway someone like the SPCA can do an inspection of the conditions the animal is kept in?
    Well i have reported the state he was in when i found him to the laois dog warden and also ispca. Have reported back to them that he was found by owners and gaver them his name and address so hopefully they will follow up. Also what is annoying is that even though he was found early the evening before, he didnt know till the following eve the pup was gone. His excuse he thought his wife had fed the dog, she thought he had. :mad:

Well i have reported the state he was in when i found him to the laois dog warden and also ispca. Have reported back to them that he was found by owners and gaver them his name and address so hopefully they will follow up. Also what is annoying is that even though he was found early the evening before, he didnt know till the following eve the pup was gone. His excuse he thought his wife had fed the dog, she thought he had. :mad:

Unbelievable. So basically the poor Cav is being kept outdoors with what seems like barely any interaction with his "family", and isn't even been fed properly (explains the skin and bones). Aside from the feeding issue, for many dogs to be separated from their family is torture, for Cavaliers who are lapdogs, this is a nightmare for them.

I feel so sorry for this poor dog, we have a Cavalier and the thoughts of her being treated like this turns my stomach. I really hope something can be done for this poor animal, although I fear not much can be done at all. :(

Noopti wrote: »
    Unbelievable. So basically the poor Cav is being kept outdoors with what seems like barely any interaction with his "family", and isn't even been fed properly (explains the skin and bones). Aside from the feeding issue, for many dogs to be separated from their family is torture, for Cavaliers who are lapdogs, this is a nightmare for them.

I feel so sorry for this poor dog, we have a Cavalier and the thoughts of her being treated like this turns my stomach. I really hope something can be done for this poor animal, although I fear not much can be done at all. :(

I know how u feel i have cavs myself. Even when i put mine out the back in the mornings for 20 mins while i wash and dry my floors they hate it. apparently this guy is their daughters who is in Australia so hopefully when she comes back he will be takin better care of.

• Advertisement

I know how u feel i have cavs myself. Even when i put mine out the back in the mornings for 20 mins while i wash and dry my floors they hate it. apparently this guy is their daughters who is in Australia so hopefully when she comes back he will be takin better care of.

Hopefully. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I'm grasping at straws here - but you said you couldn't get him to eat yourself and that they seemed very worried about him. Maybe he is reasonably well taken care of but is just a bad eater? He could be pining for the daughter?:confused:

MsFifers wrote: »
    I'm grasping at straws here - but you said you couldn't get him to eat yourself and that they seemed very worried about him. Maybe he is reasonably well taken care of but is just a bad eater? He could be pining for the daughter?:confused:

He might not eat due to the stress of the situation. Over the long term if he isn't eating with the family, and he is skin and bone, then they should really have it looked into. Anyway, the OP stated that when asked they said they only realised the dog was missing after a day because both of them thought the other had fed it. Which means:

1. They don't know what the dog is doing/eating - so probably out in a shed
    2. They don't know who is looking after it

MsFifers wrote: »

The reason he wouldnt eat for me is that they feed him tinned Brandy s**t. Which i do not/would not keep in the house. As the dog is only 8 month daughter in Australia for the last 6 i dont think this would be the case. Apparently Tiger is fed 1 can a day in the evening. I did tell him what i thought of Brandy, i showed him what i feed mine on, Arden Grange, and i showed him my cavalier,who he couldnt believe the dif between his and mine.

Advertisement