Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggars at the bus station

Options
  • 22-10-2008 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Today a young girl possibly of scobish descent went around looking for money because she and her bf were stranded in cork and had to get back to dublin. i told her I spent it all on the kebab I was munching :) but I have seen someone do this before, and i don't trust them as far as i could throw them. has anyone else been approached by this sort?

the boyfriend is of course nowhere to be seen. probably because someone might say "i`m going to dublin as well and have a free travel pass". if she ran into a couple of people with a free travel pass she could just say "hang on i`ll get my boyfriend" and then leg it.

I had some "friend" from school ask me for money for a ticket, so I got her a ticket with my travel pass and just before I got on the train she went outside "for a fag" never to be seen again. she was actually a nice girl when I knew her before but probably turned bad around the time she left school..

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Its Rampant at the Luas ticket machines in Dublin too, asking you for change as the machine gives you your change from your ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yeah, I've often seen bums begging around the bus station, it's nearly a local attraction now because it's been going on for years. there's not much you can do about it, OK get a cop to summons them? Sure a lot of them have nothing to start with and the scumbag ones will always get away with it, claiming to be 'victims of society' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

The park across the road is a right scum hole, seen plenty of punch ups over there while waiting for my bus home. Some seem to drift into the station for a wander about tapping cash for a bag of smack.

That coffee stand in the station must rake the dosh in, not bad tasting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Hardrain wrote: »
    The park across the road is a right scum hole, seen plenty of punch ups over there while waiting for my bus home. Some seem to drift into the station for a wander about tapping cash for a bag of smack.

That coffee stand in the station must rake the dosh in, not bad tasting either.

Are you on about andersons quay.Ive been staying in the jurys inn every summer for the past 6 years and while you do see bums hanging around there i never saw any fights.

Are you on about andersons quay.Ive been staying in the jurys inn every summer for the past 6 years and while you do see bums hanging around there i never saw any fights.

In the last 4 months Iv seen 5.

• Advertisement

Hardrain wrote: »
    In the last 4 months Iv seen 5.

Well theres a homeless shelter across the road.Last july i only saw bums around that area on 3 occassions heck a lot of the time you see visitors sitting on those benches.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well theres a homeless shelter across the road.Last july i only saw bums around that area on 3 occassions heck a lot of the time you see visitors sitting on those benches.

I worked in Penrose Quay across the way for a few years and in summertime it was something chronic, there'd almost always be a few of them around either at lunchtime or at the end of the day. Most of the time they seemed harmless enough, just having a few cans and cigs, but I'd say at least a half-a-dozen times a year I'd have seen a couple of them scrapping, and that would just be wandering out on my lunchbreak or on my way home. Not exactly confidence-inspiring stuff, sadly...

Fysh wrote: »
    I worked in Penrose Quay across the way for a few years and in summertime it was something chronic, there'd almost always be a few of them around either at lunchtime or at the end of the day. Most of the time they seemed harmless enough, just having a few cans and cigs, but I'd say at least a half-a-dozen times a year I'd have seen a couple of them scrapping, and that would just be wandering out on my lunchbreak or on my way home. Not exactly confidence-inspiring stuff, sadly...

Well in summer seeing that theres a hotel nearby you sometimes see visitors sitting on those benches.Is it true there was a huge brawl there once and they ended up throwing each other into the river?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

castie wrote: »
    Its Rampant at the Luas ticket machines in Dublin too, asking you for change as the machine gives you your change from your ticket.

This is one of the reasons I use a monthly pass.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Do see the odd few around the bus station alright. I remember one time a woman came up to me asking for money, you could smell the alcohol off her breath a mile off. When I told her I didn't have any change she stood there repeating herself for a few minutes before moving on.

As for the homeless, do see them along Anderson Quay, as Simon Community is located there. Some of them hang around the back of Jurys Inn aswell at times. Haven't seen any fights break out, but then again, I wouldn't be around that area regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

A woman approached me outside the Metropole and asked me for some change. Strange thing was that she was digging into a tasty tin of pedigree chum at the time.
    I was so shocked I placed 2 pounds on the floor and ran down the street flailing my arms in the air like a mad man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Bill-e wrote: »
    A woman approached me outside the Metropole and asked me for some change. Strange thing was that she was digging into a tasty tin of pedigree chum at the time.
    I was so shocked I placed 2 pounds on the floor and ran down the street flailing my arms in the air like a mad man.

:D hilarious! I hope she was on a lead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

Yeah ive seen a couple of fights on those seats as well, i also used to get a lot of beggers come up to me while i waited for my bus , i just asked them for money when they came up begging and that threw them off.

Twice this week Iv been asked for "A euro for the payphone" chavvy couple, girl has hoopy earings and the fella has a front tooth knocked out. Charming looking couple! That being said when I didn't give them a euro they were quite polite!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Theres a fellow from the north that sleeps at the back of the bus station and I remember one morning it must have been the head bus conductor dude and that old cleaner man were both telling him to get out of it and the language that was cuming out of your man was unreal threatening to kill them and everything eventually he pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Theres a scobe from (i presume) dublin thats asked me for change twice for the bus to dublin. The first time i foolishly gave him a couple of euro but the other day i just basically told him to fcuk off. So be wise...don't give the scumbag money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Fysh wrote: »

Oh I recall those animals, yes, the ones who were sitting with their cans beside the river, occasionally stopping to urinate in front of all the whole world into the Lee. I've been asked for money for buses to "Limerick" a couple of times in the station. I just ignore them. I'm guessing they are from the shelter but maybe not, seems to be a congregating point. Filthy crowd, give the city a really bad image. Not that old either, some seemed fairly young.

I have also been approached by a (possibly Romanian though unsure) beggar in Douglas Court car park. There are quite a lot around at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

shoegirl wrote: »
    Oh I recall those animals, yes, the ones who were sitting with their cans beside the river, occasionally stopping to urinate in front of all the whole world into the Lee. I've been asked for money for buses to "Limerick" a couple of times in the station. I just ignore them. I'm guessing they are from the shelter but maybe not, seems to be a congregating point. Filthy crowd, give the city a really bad image. Not that old either, some seemed fairly young.

I have also been approached by a (possibly Romanian though unsure) beggar in Douglas Court car park. There are quite a lot around at the moment.

Wow. Lets get rid of these people, we are the only city in the world with these mongrels.

They would most likely be Roma Gypsies, not Romanians. Romanians despise them and the name they give to the "normal" Romanians. Who by the way are extremely nice people in general!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Wow. Lets get rid of these people

I'm down

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Let's crack out the zyklon B on these moe foes!

• Advertisement
Advertisement