Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Play ordinary DVDs on a Bluray?

• 22-10-2008 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I bought a bluray dvd player (Samsung BD-P1500 1080p Blu-ray Player)
    and watched two ordinary DVDs on it (I haven't bought a bluray dvd as yet) and the quality was really good with no issues. The next day I tried to watch another and when I placed the DVD in the machine I got the message LOADING on the display - which didn't change so eventually I thouhgt it might have been the dvd. I tried the original dvd I had watched and it too didn't get past the LOADING message.
    So I got the player replaced today but whe I was opening it there was a sticker I hadn't previously noticed saying not to play ordinary DVDs (or some such words - am not at home right now).
    s there some difference in the laser layout o something that may have caused damage when I played ordinary dvds in it? I got it as part of a package and wouldn't have bought a blu ray machine otherwise, so don't have any plans to go buying bluray discs as yet.
    Lomg and short of the question: Was this a coincidence or can I or can I not play ordinary DVDs on a Bluray player?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

who007 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I bought a bluray dvd player (Samsung BD-P1500 1080p Blu-ray Player)
    and watched two ordinary DVDs on it (I haven't bought a bluray dvd as yet) and the quality was really good with no issues. The next day I tried to watch another and when I placed the DVD in the machine I got the message LOADING on the display - which didn't change so eventually I thouhgt it might have been the dvd. I tried the original dvd I had watched and it too didn't get past the LOADING message.
    So I got the player replaced today but whe I was opening it there was a sticker I hadn't previously noticed saying not to play ordinary DVDs (or some such words - am not at home right now).
    s there some difference in the laser layout o something that may have caused damage when I played ordinary dvds in it? I got it as part of a package and wouldn't have bought a blu ray machine otherwise, so don't have any plans to go buying bluray discs as yet.
    Lomg and short of the question: Was this a coincidence or can I or can I not play ordinary DVDs on a Bluray player?

Blu-ray players are backwards compatible with DVD so you shouldn't have an issue playing back DVDs bought from a store. You might find an issue with home-made DVDs due to authoring or disc compatibility issues e.g. DVD-RW, DVD+RW etc, but on the whole you shouldn't have any issue with any Blu-ray player regarding DVD playback.

Advertisement