Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrying subjects over..

Options
  • 22-10-2008 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I'm repeating this year and planning on getting my college course..

I want to carry over 2 subjects , Irish and English. I know that I'm not able to bring the points across , but am I allowed carry 2 subjects?

Also , I'm doing:

Art/Economics/Geography/Physics/Maths/French.

So next year when I get my results I will have 8 subjects done , but will only have the above six counted. Right so far?

Also, I need my English and Irish grades for my course , If I don't count these in my leaving cert points , will they still be accepted?

Educated answers only please...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Yeah, as long as you have the matriculation requirements in the subjects I'm almost sure you can carry them over.
    But yeah, the points only count for the subjects done in the one sitting.

Yah thats perfectly fine. You can carry over whatever grades, just not the points, you like from previous sittings. And as long as you sit 6 subjects in any one sitting I think it's fine.

And yah you can definitely carry over your English and Irish grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blahh89

Cheers for the quick replies guys , yeah I was hoping that was the case..
    Do either of you know how my put my English and Irish results in to next years results. I know I'm not counting them point-wise but how do I know they will come up on this years result and how do I know the college will see them and accept me?

Also, I kept hearing that it was only 1 subject you were allowed carry over.. Are you guys sure I'm able to carry two?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

There's LOADS of people repeating in the same school as me this year and they're after dropping 2 subjects too.
    Ask a career guidance person if you're still doubtfull but i'm almost sure that's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Blahh89 wrote: »
    Cheers for the quick replies guys , yeah I was hoping that was the case..
    Do either of you know how my put my English and Irish results in to next years results. I know I'm not counting them point-wise but how do I know they will come up on this years result and how do I know the college will see them and accept me?

Also, I kept hearing that it was only 1 subject you were allowed carry over.. Are you guys sure I'm able to carry two?

You can carry over as many subjects as you want from as many sittings of the LC as you want for matriculation but only count points from your best 6 subjects in any one year. The only exception to this rule - coming in this year - is Medicine where you must meet matriculation requirements and points in the same sitting, no carry over.

on the CAO form if I remember rightly there is a space where you tick a box if you have previously done the LC and fill in your exam number from that year. I think on the printed form it normally gives the previous three years to choose from. I'm open to correction on this and I have no idea what the online version looks like.

So i suppose when the CAO computer is doing it's thing it registers all the subjects you've done in all sittings of the LC for matriculation and then points from your best year

• Advertisement
Advertisement