Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Booking dinner for my birthday

• 22-10-2008 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi wonderful people :D
    Here's the thing; friday my father is flying to Dublin to come and dine with me on my birtday, which is actually quite nice :D
    I would like to take him someplace nice to have a dinner including some good food and wine. THe only problems seems to be that I have only been living in Dublin for a couple of months now, so I haventh really got a clue which restaurants are good and which one's are not! :(

- Can anyone out there suggest a nice cozy place with good food?
    (price doesn't matter - I must be able to book it to this friday though)

Thanks in advance :D
    Nick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Darwin's of Aungier Street is very nice.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Hugo's just off Stephen's Green on Baggot St is lovely. Excellent French food, good wine list.

George's on South Frederick Street is also good.

I quite like La Cave on South Anne Street too, I've had some excellent meals in it's funny little basement room.

Boccacio's on Dame Street is a really good Italian, but maybe you don't fancy that for a birthday meal.

Brasserie Sixty-Six on George's Street is also quite a good place to eat. Though if you fancy sushi or other Japanese food instead, Yamamori is just about 2 doors up.

Those are just a few off the top of my head, there are many others that I like in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I used to love Brasserie Sixty 6, but after a terrible experience there last weekend. I'm staying well clear in future (think rancid tuna and gone off prawns).

I think the Winding Stair is a great spot. Lovely dining room, but full of charm and great views. Great wine, great food. All good in my book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

winding stair is lovely. also the cellar in merrion hotel is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

You have to take him to Pearl Brasserie. look at the review on www.menupages.ie its beside the merrion hotel. the best restaurant in dublin

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

olaola wrote: »
    I used to love Brasserie Sixty 6, but after a terrible experience there last weekend. I'm staying well clear in future (think rancid tuna and gone off prawns).

I think the Winding Stair is a great spot. Lovely dining room, but full of charm and great views. Great wine, great food. All good in my book!
    That's a pity, I really enjoyed going there.

I can't believe I forgot about the Winding Stair! It is excellent.

Just slightly off topic: I'm a bit wary of menupages since reading this thread in the Consumer Issues forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

My tuppence worth:

Eden in temple bar is consistently good, not cheap but not over priced either.

I haven't been but Richard Corrigan's new restuarant Bentley's on St Stephen's green gets great reviews. And prices sound great.

Bang on Merrion Row does very good food (though tables are a bit crammed and wine list is just OK).

+1 for La Cave - it certainly fits 'cosy', emphasis is on the wine but the food is good and again not pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭ChickCool

thorntons and cookes (may be closing) are the old reliables, if you're not worried about price then one pico and chapter one have great reputations too. La mere zou on stephens green is great french food. there is an italian on suffolk st called pacinos with a tapas bar downstairs which i couldn't recommend enough for a 'cheap' meal. Siam thai on andrews lane, jaipur on georges st, yo thai in donnybrook all great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Always got good food at the Hilan on Capel Street.

YUM>>>
    http://www.elywinebar.ie/

Also, Saba, really good although not sure if the atmosphere would be what you're looking for, the restaurant in the merrion hotel too is really good.

On the menupages thingy, yeh that thread p*ssed me off a bit but have to say none of the negative reviews i've ever put up have been removed, still though, would make ya think...

EDIT: Okey Dokey then, bit pointless posting when the OP is probably finishing his dessert about now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Also, Saba, really good
    Ate there recently and absolutely woeful. Four prawns, some rice and a small bit of kale with hardly any sauce for E28.50. Forget about it.
    OP would recommend Winding Stair, Town Bar and Grill (although staff can be a bit snooty). Heard service was great in Bentley's but food a let down, don't go by Tom Doorley's review in the Times - by his own admission they're mates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Canal Bank Cafe -- Leeson street bridge.

Amazing restaurant.

Advertisement