Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoods?

Options
  • 22-10-2008 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

So how many people wear a hood or gloves here? Just wondering do you think it lets you stay out much longer? I have gloves but i dont like wearing them...seem to fill up with water and its like trying to paddle with 2 balloons on my hands!
    Are hoods any use though?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

I wear a hood from Nov till Feb on the bigger days. I think the hoods eliminate the ice cream headaches a bit :D As for gloves, I'm with you on them filling up like baloons. Make sure to put them inside sleeve of wetsuit and should not fill up as fast. I will only wear them if I'm staying in longer than 45mins or so in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I dont like wearing a hood so try to avoid it whenever possible, managed all last winter without one. Gloves are the same, but if I feel that having ice hands is affecting how long ill be staying out I may put them on mid session if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

Hoods are good for avoiding a freezing head when you go under.

AS for gloves, yeah, they fill up with water.

Guy in Wind and Wave said he uses 1mm gloves - they keep you warmish but have great flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Griff77

I use 2mm gloves in the winter. They were almost the smallest size I could get to fit and still be comfortable. They don't fill up that easily aswell. I tried on a good few sizes and different makes in the shop until I was happy.

Hoods are a must to avoid a 20 minute ice cream headache until your heads goes numb, but I find my head feels like its in a shell... Strange feeling really but it's your only man for those January sesh's.

Jesus think I've forgotten what it's like to be cold as in Bahrain its 30 odd outside :D Gonna be in big trouble when I'm back in December :(

Griff77 wrote: »
    I use 2mm gloves in the winter. They were almost the smallest size I could get to fit and still be comfortable. They don't fill up that easily aswell. I tried on a good few sizes and different makes in the shop until I was happy.

Hoods are a must to avoid a 20 minute ice cream headache until your heads goes numb, but I find my head feels like its in a shell... Strange feeling really but it's your only man for those January sesh's.

Jesus think I've forgotten what it's like to be cold as in Bahrain its 30 odd outside :D Gonna be in big trouble when I'm back in December :(

You located in Bahrain as well ? If you like me I bet your starting to forget what its like to surf even ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

usually keep it down. stops the wind chill in the line up tho

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Griff77

Yea C13, don't even know what surfing is at all anymore... Not been out since August banker! Home in December so going to get wet then no matter what happens :D

Exact same as myself. Not looking forward to the cold when I get home.

I went out in shorts and a rash vest in August, lasted five mins and had to come back in for my wetsuit :o

Advertisement