Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheriff Street

Options
  • 22-10-2008 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I need to hear the truth about this place, moving into an apartment there soon and all I'm being told at work is that this area is really dodgy cos its near sheriff street..are they exaggerating??!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Appeal for witnesses to Dublin murder
    Tuesday, 21 October 2008 16:03
    Gardaí investigating the murder of a man in Dublin's north inner city have appealed for information on the attack.

21-year-old Gavin McCarthy was shot outside a fast food outlet in Sheriff Street on Sunday night.

A number of people may have witnessed the killing and detectives are anxious to speak to anybody who was in the area at the time.

Gardaí believe the gunman was a teenager who escaped on a bicycle.

Mr McCarthy of Oriel Street Lower in Dublin died from multiple gunshot wounds to the head.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1021/mccarthyg.html

This is just one example, atm this place is in the middle of a huge family/gang war over an alleged rape. Have a mate who lives down there, suppose to be crazy some nights. Afaik there has to be 24 hour Garda presence on one of the street corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

I need to hear the truth about this place, moving into an apartment there soon and all I'm being told at work is that this area is really dodgy cos its near sheriff street..are they exaggerating??!

Take a walk down around the area about 10pm. If you survive you'll know what its like at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Lived a couple of hundred meters from the place for 12 years, walked by Noctors in to town every weekend, sometimes around 10pm! It's grand.

Personal experience here, not heresay.

There is a massive feud going on, unless you are directly involved with one of the factions I wouldn't be worried. Take the usual precautions anyone would take in a large city, stay smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lightening wrote: »
    There is a massive feud going on, unless you are directly involved with one of the factions I wouldn't be worried. Take the usual precautions anyone would take in a large city, stay smart.
    +1

I've never had any problems there. I park there regularly too without problems.

AFAIK that murder was in the other end of the street to the apartments (and it's a long street).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The fued is based around Upper Sherrif Street/Oriel Street where as North Bank is on Lower Sherrif Street, you'd be a a good few 100 meters away with Spence Dock in the between the two.

It's a ghost town of an area after dark where taxis are the best form of transport. The LUAS is due to open in the next 18 months, and the reopening of the Point will bring more people to the area.

I'd say area is safe as any other once you are wise, same as any other area.

For the record Lower and Upper Sherrif Street combined are a mile long, but also unconnected aside from by foot.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The fued is based around Upper Sherrif Street/Oriel Street where as North Bank is on Lower Sherrif Street.
    Lower Sheriff Street is the Oriel Street end. ;)

Lower Sheriff Street is the Oriel Street end. ;)
    Arrrgghhhh always getting them mixed up.... I'll be dammed if I'm fixing it!! :o

(and it's a long street).
    Bluetonic wrote: »
    For the record Lower and Upper Sherrif Street combined are a mile long
    It has crossed my mind several times over the years that it may be the longest street in Dublin (and I mean 'street' as opposed to 'road', 'avenue' etc.). Any comment lads?

Victor et al?

Here's a little pic of Sheriff Street for those who may not be familiar with it! To put it into perspective, it covers the same distance as from Dorset Street Upper to Harcourt Street.

SheriffStreet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Chalkie2809

ha ha! Ye have been busy! Thanks for the comments, I'd say I'll be safe enough if I dont go wandering up to the chippers on oriel street and avoid any teenage lads on bicycles! Had no idea it was that long, I have actually been in that area a good few times and never realised where I actually was..:D

I'll be safe enough if I dont go wandering up to the chippers
    Chinese! ;)

• Advertisement

It has crossed my mind several times over the years that it may be the longest street in Dublin (and I mean 'street' as opposed to 'road', 'avenue' etc.). Any comment lads?

Victor et al?

Would have thought Pearse St was longer? I do know Mourne Road in Drimnagh is the longest "road" in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Chalkie2809

I'll just have to dig out a decent bullet proof vest when I order my egg fried rice then ;)

Would have thought Pearse St was longer?
    It's hardly half the lenght of Sheriff Street!

I do know Mourne Road in Drimnagh is the longest "road" in Dublin.
    I would think that the NCR and SCR are much longer?

And don't forget Alexander road in Dublin 1. It's fairly long!

I'd say Chesterfield Avenue must be on of the longest 'avenues'?

It's hardly half the lenght of Sheriff Street!

I would think that the NCR and SCR are much longer?

And don't forget Alexander road in Dublin 1. It's fairly long!

I wasn't including Lower Sheriff St, my mistake.:o

My mate who lives on Mourne Road told me it's the longest road in Dublin.:confused:

My mate who lives on Mourne Road told me it's the longest road in Dublin.:confused:
    He probably doesn't get out much!

I'd say it isn't even the longest road in Drimnagh. Surely the Long Mile Road is longer? (Even it's name suggests so. ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Pearse st: 1.3km

Lower sheriff st: .2km
    Upper Sheriff st: .9km

Not including the gap between the two streets, pearse st. is therefore longer.
    Measured those using google maps direction thingy btw.

If you include the gap, it comes to 1.3km total (not a straight line though)

I would've thought Pearse would have been longer as well - College Green to Charlottes Quay is a long ole walk.

edit: North Circular is 3.6km, and South Circular is around 2.5km (some question over just where it stops and ends, but there you go.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd say Chesterfield Avenue must be on of the longest 'avenues'?

Griffith Avenue is the longest road in Dublin.
    Goes through 3 electoral constituencies

If you include the gap, it comes to 1.3km total (not a straight line though)
    Theres no gap in between upper and lower Sherrif Street, it's just some of it is inaccessible to cars, much in the same way that many pedestrian areas are still referred to as streets.

micmclo wrote: »
    Griffith Avenue is the longest road in Dublin.
    Griffith Avenue is 3.8km approx, whereas Chesterfield Avenue is 4.1km approx.

Anyone else want to measure it and see what they come up with?

Pearse st: 1.3km
    This is going to be a fun thread...

Is that 1.3 rounded up and included the bridge which isn't part of Pearse St?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Personally I wouldnt touch this area with the longest road in Dublin,have family live there,and some of the people Ive come accross there are the most disgusting vile scumbags Ive ever encountered,Sherriff Street has always had toughh reputation but its the little estates that veer off it that the dirt come from,avoid like plaugue I sayAnd I heard the Ratoath Road is the longest road in Dublin,goes through Cabra,Finglas and finishing just before Ashborne

Irlbo wrote: »
    I heard the Ratoath Road is the longest road in Dublin,goes through Cabra,Finglas and finishing just before Ashborne
    I think we are referring to roads, streets and avenues etc. which begin and end in the city.

(Otherwise we could have the Navan Road, Naas Road or the M1 to the border!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

The N1,navan road and nass road are national roads,the ratoath road is just an ordinary street for residential housing the fact it starts at the town end of Cabra and ends just past Swords surely deserves it the title of a long road if not the longest

Irlbo wrote: »
    The N1,navan road and nass road are national roads,the ratoath road is just an ordinary street for residential housing the fact it starts at the town end of Cabra and ends just past Swords surely deserves it the title of a long road if not the longest
    We're talking about the Dublin City here, Swords is not in the city.

Roughly speaking roads etc.., within the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Chinese! ;)

A Chinese chipper, on Sherrif St run by Vietnamese!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP, Sheriff St. is grand. You won't be bothered.

I lived there for awhile (in the old Phil Shanahan house and Laurance O'Tooles mansions) and right above Noctors pub.

Tbh, get up close and personal and you'll find the scum of the earth there but you'll also find some gems living in the area. But unless your an old Sheriff St 'head' you'll be ignored mostly.

Its gas, my OH is from Sheriff St (born and bred) and EVERYONE down there is related to her!. I find it hilarious tbh.

Oh, OP your car WILL be robbed/broken into at some stage and if your living in Dublin I'd have mail sent to your parents or work address as apartment box posts WILL be robbed also. But that goes for apartments everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

There is nothing down that area at all, except for a Spar, and it sucks. And your local would be the Wharf Tavern. Plus a lot of dust and dirt form all the construction work around the place.

WindSock wrote: »
    There is nothing down that area at all, except for a Spar

Dig a bit deeper, there is more to an area than shops. There is a good community there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

lightening wrote: »
    Dig a bit deeper, there is more to an area than shops. There is a good community there.

True, theres a pharmacy, butchers and post office on Church Rd in East wall, but what good is a community when I want to get some lunch and my only option is a crappily made sangwich and manky machine insomnia coffee from spar :(

• Advertisement

eh... I dunno, make your own lunch? Take a trip to the IFSC? Drive across to the Food Room in Clontarf?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement