Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheriff Street

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

yea man id seriously look somewhere else..its not tworth the hassle of something happening ya..you get drunk go for a walk..taxi dropes ya in the wrong place some night...you just decide to go for a walk...you want fresh air...good look...
    theres plenty of places out there keep looking

That happens everywhere, I have a friend who lived there for 3 years and never had any trouble. She came up from the country and the only time she ever had any trouble was when she was mugged outside The Sheds pub in Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

(1) the OP is talking about Upper Sheriff Street, which while its not a million mile from lower Sheriff Street is a totaly different place, the Upper part is being developed from comercial premises and yards to mainly private appartments (aimed and priced at young professionals) and retail units, the lower part is full of corporation houses mainly inhabited by young families!
    Yes indeed. Many of those making comments here seem to be totally focused on Lower Sheriff Street.

All those fancy apartments/offices on Mayor Street, Georges Dock, the IFSC, Harbour Master Place, Customs House Harbour and the National College of Ireland and Connolly Station are all much closer to Lower Sheriff Street than the apartments the OP is referring to on Upper Sheriff Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Yes indeed. Many of those making comments here seem to be totally focused on Lower Sheriff Street.

All those fancy apartments/offices on Mayor Street, Georges Dock, the IFSC, Harbour Master Place, Customs House Harbour and the National College of Ireland and Connolly Station are all much closer to Lower Sheriff Street than the apartments the OP is referring to on Upper Sheriff Street.

Yes, and O'Connel St would be as close to Lower Sheriff St as the Upper Sheriff St appartments are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anyone from 'Sheriffer' or who has any close ties to the area know's exactly the streets being discussed.

Mairt wrote: »
    Anyone from 'Sheriffer' or who has any close ties to the area know's exactly the streets being discussed.

I live down this way Mairt, closer to "Sheriffer" than where the OP is talking about, 30 odd years and work with in the community, and I have never had any problems in the Area at all and have no intentions of moving as I like it here and always have!

I was stressing the fact the OP was talking about upper Sheriff street, as he was the one with the question about upper sheriffer NOT lower sheriff street, you might aswell say I am moving to the IFSC, Amiems street, O'Connell street but I am worried about Lower Sheriff street as they are as Close!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I get that some of the Sheriff St (and Environs) Massive want to defend their local area, but surely you guys can see that a statement like 'I've lived there for 20 years and work in the community and know half the people there and I've never had any hassle!' sort of invalidates itself?

Of course you won't get hassle if you're a local head and if people know your face.

The only people who are sure to get hassle in these areas are the ones who aren't local and look like they don't fit in.

Fair enough, it's a big street as many of you have pointed out, but the scrotes and scumbags roam far and wide and I personally would not consider that general area to be a particularly safe one, especially at night.

Phlann wrote: »
    I get that some of the Sheriff St (and Environs) Massive want to defend their local area, but surely you guys can see that a statement like 'I've lived there for 20 years and work in the community and know half the people there and I've never had any hassle!' sort of invalidates itself?

Of course you won't get hassle if you're a local head and if people know your face.

Well thats your opinion, which you are entitled to, but the OP was asking the question and he got some answers, now I would defend my locality no problem but I gave him an Honest answer and that was that he is talking about moving in to an Area thats totaly different to the "Sheriffer" discirbed in some posts! If its so bad how come the likes of City Bank, PWC, Bank of Ireland plus many more companies decided to choose the place as a BASE??
    The only people who are sure to get hassle in these areas are the ones who aren't local and look like they don't fit in.

Fair enough, it's a big street as many of you have pointed out, but the scrotes and scumbags roam far and wide and I personally would not consider that general area to be a particularly safe one, especially at night.

Well thats your opinion again, but if you come down this way in the day time and see the cars parked in and around sheriff street plus all the foot traffic in the Area, how many of these people get HASSLE cos they don't fit in?? Not many! Its rare to hear of a mugging, assault, or anything like that in the Area and thats a fact!

Also I know its not perfect but when you see drugs being sold and crime being commited while the Guards stand by looking, you have to ask yourself, Why don't they do anything about it??

As the OP asked would he be safe, Yes he would, and as for not fitting in, how do you make that out, you think we all wear pyjama's and track suits down here?? sure do the people working in the IFSC "NOT FIT IN???" and how many of them get "HASSLE" everyday?

I thought you were supposed to be a groovy guy? You're nothing like the real Earthworm Jim :pac:

You mentioned financial institutions, well I worked in one on Talbot St for a year and myself and my co-workers were regularly hassled by the local scummers. One of our female colleagues was chased down the road by junkies - in broad daylight - on her lunch break once! No joke.

I have no idea why these organisations have decided to move into the area (costs maybe?) but it certainly wasn't for the ambience! The company in question also had an account with a local taxi firm which was available to employees for the express purpose of getting home if we were working after dark, because the management didn't consider the area to be safe either. We all hated the place, and were glad to leave it by the time we were transferred out.

With regards fitting in, I am sort of speaking from experience here. I live in a rough area myself (much like Sheriff St it's been 'rejuvenated' in recent years and you see as many yuppies as boyracers at the moment) and am well aware just what an easy target my borderline posh accent and appearance still makes me! I had to toughen up pretty quick when I moved in here.

If you stand out in any area that's a bit rough, you're liable to attract hassle. I don't think that's a controversial thing to say.

I can empathise with you re:drugs, anti-social behaviour etc and the Gardai doing **** all, it's similar here sometimes. Although now we're getting bombscares too. Exciting! :pac:

I know there are much worse areas in Dublin, but like you, I'm trying to give the guy an honest answer. I wouldn't want to move there.

Guys, if I was to drop someone into Sheriff St and not tell them where they were there's absolutely nothing down there to give hint to them that their in a slum area.

Now, if you seen Sheriffer a few years ago - before the docklands developement you'd be genuinely scared.

In fact, if anyone remembers seeing 'In the name of the father', well the scenes depicting the Divis Flats in Belfast were shot in the old flats.

Sheriffer in Wiki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

hmm, in truth I've not been near sheriff street in years. The area always filled me with a sense of dread and that was the day time.

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    Guys, if I was to drop someone into Sheriff St and not tell them where they were there's absolutely nothing down there to give hint to them that their in a slum area.

That's probably true. But like I said in my previous post, I live in a similar situation where we have new developments alongside council housing and it's not the nicest situation.

There seems to be a bit of simmering resentment from the locals at all us boggers and yuppies moving in where their friends were living just 5-10 years earlier and fúck knows, maybe they're right to be pissed off about it - all I know is that the end result is vandalism, endless break-ins and attempted break-ins and general arsehole-ish behaviour.

Re:In the Name of The Father - this might be an urban myth but wasn't there a couple of incidents where some of the less pleasant locals threw themselves in front of the production cars and feigned injury in the hope of getting a payout? A mate of mine grew up near there and he always brings it up.

Probably not tue but I always thought it was funny.

That's probably true. But like I said in my previous post, I live in a similar situation where we have new developments alongside council housing and it's not the nicest situation.

There seems to be a bit of simmering resentment from the locals at all us boggers and yuppies moving in where their friends were living just 5-10 years earlier and fúck knows, maybe they're right to be pissed off about it - all I know is that the end result is vandalism, endless break-ins and attempted break-ins and general arsehole-ish behaviour.

Re:In the Name of The Father - this might be an urban myth but wasn't there a couple of incidents where some of the less pleasant locals threw themselves in front of the production cars and feigned injury in the hope of getting a payout? A mate of mine grew up near there and he always brings it up.

Probably not tue but I always thought it was funny.

The Name of the Father thing is crap, the only thing that happened was their repilca GUNS (AK47's where stolen from one of the PIGS(British Army Jeeps) but they were recovered after they asked nicely for them back (NO JOKE) and the other thing was that they used some real Bristish soldiers as ADVISERS and ACTORS and gave the extras(Not all from the Area) rubber bricks n sticks to throw at them, but a few extras used real bricks and sticks:D;)

But in saying that, if you think that the film crew looked all over Ireland and chose "SHERIFFER" as the place that best represented WEST BELFAST during the troubles! you can see that the Area was neglected and its well different as of NOW!

is06regleoR2.jpg

This is what MAYOR STREET was like, this ain't a film pic, this is where all them new appartments are, at the EXISE INN!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I was a blow in, new to the area Phlann, stayed for 12 years.

Its true about the lack of community. Simply fact is this, when people have nothing but each other, when they're poor and abandoned by the authorities, they band together. The more affluent we become the less me need other people to survive, the less me share. That's probably why some people resent "blow ins" as they represent an end of the community.

I thought you were supposed to be a groovy guy? You're nothing like the real Earthworm Jim :pac:

You mentioned financial institutions, well I worked in one on Talbot St for a year and myself and my co-workers were regularly hassled by the local scummers. One of our female colleagues was chased down the road by junkies - in broad daylight - on her lunch break once! No joke.

I have no idea why these organisations have decided to move into the area (costs maybe?) but it certainly wasn't for the ambience! The company in question also had an account with a local taxi firm which was available to employees for the express purpose of getting home if we were working after dark, because the management didn't consider the area to be safe either. We all hated the place, and were glad to leave it by the time we were transferred out.

Well you are now talking about "TALBOT STREET" and "JUNKIES" now do they all come from "SHERIFF STREET"?? It a simple FACT that the whole city centre has most of the drug treatment clinics and do buses and trains from all parts of the country stop in the city centre?? Soooooo in your reckoning its all coming from "SHERIFFER" is it? Thats a very narrow minded opinion, is it not?
    With regards fitting in, I am sort of speaking from experience here. I live in a rough area myself (much like Sheriff St it's been 'rejuvenated' in recent years and you see as many yuppies as boyracers at the moment) and am well aware just what an easy target my borderline posh accent and appearance still makes me! I had to toughen up pretty quick when I moved in here.

If you stand out in any area that's a bit rough, you're liable to attract hassle. I don't think that's a controversial thing to say.

I can empathise with you re:drugs, anti-social behaviour etc and the Gardai doing **** all, it's similar here sometimes. Although now we're getting bombscares too. Exciting! :pac:

I know there are much worse areas in Dublin, but like you, I'm trying to give the guy an honest answer. I wouldn't want to move there.

The guy (OP) didn't ask would you live there, he asked would he be safe living there! And if its that bad how come they are planning on over 90,000 more people living in the area? I don't see all the residents of these new developments all on here telling us they are terrified of the place they are living in? In fact a lot of the local people are now in fact either working in good jobs in the area or going to college, so I don't think they are the ones going round "TALBOT STREET" terrorising the likes of yourself and you ex co-workers!;)

Boston wrote: »
    Its true about the lack of community. Simply fact is this, when people have nothing but each other, when they're poor and abandoned by the authorities, they band together. The more affluent we become the less me need other people to survive, the less me share. That's probably why some people resent "blow ins" as they represent an end of the community.

Whats with all the resent blow ins??????

I haven't read one post on here from "blow ins" saying anything anywhere close to what you suggest?

And you reckon we are abandoned by the Authorities, well I beg to differ, while the Guards could do more, they are trying, the schools in the area are brilliant and well funded by the new companies, existing companies, the communty!

And whats wrong with banding together, or is that a crime too, we look after each other down here, both the old and new residents, the whole idea of community spirit is looking out for all people? so I don't get the point your trying to get accross??

Well you are now talking about "TALBOT STREET" and "JUNKIES" now do they all come from "SHERIFF STREET"?? It a simple FACT that the whole city centre has most of the drug treatment clinics and do buses and trains from all parts of the country stop in the city centre?? Soooooo in your reckoning its all coming from "SHERIFFER" is it? Thats a very narrow minded opinion, is it not?

I never said where they came from (even if I was thinking it!), there's loads of them in the area and that's the important point. I also worked on Dawson Street and never had trouble with scumbags. Other than your standard yuppy scumbags, but they're more likely to try and steal your girlfriend than your phone.

The guy (OP) didn't ask would you live there, he asked would he be safe living there!

And I answered him! I wouldn't move there because I don't think it's that safe, having worked in the general vicinity.

OP - you see the way these Sheriffers gang up on anybody who isn't from the area?

IT COULD BE YOU

:p

That's a cool photo btw. That's pretty much what my area is going to look like come the 31st.

OP - you see the way these Sheriffers gang up on anybody who isn't from the area?

IT COULD BE YOU

That's a cool photo btw. That's pretty much what my area is going to look like come the 31st.

Yea OP, we'll beat you to death with our keyboards :rolleyes:

I never said where they came from (even if I was thinking it!), there's loads of them in the area and that's the important point. I also worked on Dawson Street and never had trouble with scumbags. Other than your standard yuppy scumbags, but they're more likely to try and steal your girlfriend than your phone.

And I answered him! I wouldn't move there because I don't think it's that safe, having worked in the general vicinity.

IT COULD BE YOU

:D:D:D

Ganging up? I am the only one saying anything on the matter that acuatly lives in the area as far as I can see - and you are now saying that general area which could bring in many areas around the city centre??

I know of the problems in the area but to suggest its all from one street in the city centre is way off the mark!

and the area won't look like that pic, cos there is luxury appartments, wine bars, pub, shops, colleges, banks, rsturants etc at that exact place in the pic, so unless the residents of them appartments or the management of them business's are going to riot on halloween, I doubt it will look anything like that, maybe it will be full of people having a good time in the pubs n resturants? Maybe the OP would appreciate an area like that?

That's probably why some people resent "blow ins" as they represent an end of the community.

As a blow in I was welcomed with open arms. Drank in Valance and McGraths with all the locals, my neighbours took my bins in, took me in for drinks at christmas, their kids walked my dog, They gave me lifts and I gave them lifts, they helped me in any way they could.

• Advertisement

I know of the problems in the area but to suggest its all from one street in the city centre is way off the mark!

That's fair enough, but wherever these arseholes are hailing from, there seems to be a greater concentration of them in and around that area then there is in many other parts of the city centre, in my experience.

I think we could probably agree on that point, could we not?

Beyond that it's up to the OP to decide whether he's comfortable with that situation. I can tell him, having worked nearby and spent five years living in similar surroundings, that it's not a particularly desirable experience, even if I've survived unscathed.

Yea OP, we'll beat you to death with our keyboards

If you're lucky! I heard a baby got torn apart by wild-dogs down there.

lightening wrote: »
    As a blow in I was welcomed with open arms. Drank in Valance and McGraths with all the locals, my neighbours took my bins in, took me in for drinks at christmas, their kids walked my dog, They gave me lifts and I gave them lifts, they helped me in any way they could.

Whats your point? Some locals resent blow in's. Most wont and certainly wouldn't have been seen as much of a threat to the community 12 odd years ago.

That's fair enough, but wherever these arseholes are hailing from, there seems to be a greater concentration of them in and around that area then there is in many other parts of the city centre, in my experience.

I think we could probably agree on that point, could we not?

there are many assholes in and around "Talbot Street! I would agree with as thats where you had the hassle! So if the OP was buying an appartment on that street I would agree with you, but where the OP is talking about is nowhere near talbot street!

If you're lucky! I heard a baby got torn apart by wild-dogs down there.

Your taking the piss now!:rolleyes:

Whats your point? Some locals resent blow in's. Most wont and certainly wouldn't have been seen as much of a threat to the community 12 odd years ago.

How would new people to the area be constituted as a threat?

And he said he lived here for 12 yrs NOT 12 yrs ago??

And what would be the difference 12 yrs ago? When the IFSC was being built and most locals had jobs in the area??

you seem to have a complex about this "BLOW IN" stuff, were you not cuddled as a baby or something:D

How would new people to the area be constituted as a threat?
    They wouldn't. But one could easily seem them as symoblising the end of the old ways including the old community. It isn't rational, but when has that stopped people feeling and thinking a certain way.
    And he said he lived here for 12 yrs NOT 12 yrs ago??

If you live in a place for 12 years, it means you lived there at least 12 years ago if not further back. So when he was a blow in, there wouldn't have been too many others like him moving into the area.
    And what would be the difference 12 yrs ago? When the IFSC was being built and most locals had jobs in the area??

You're taking the piss. The area was a slum in the 90s.
    you seem to have a complex about this "BLOW IN" stuff, were you not cuddled as a baby or something:D

God damn yuppies in jeeps with their fancy hats.

Your taking the piss now!

It was in the news, you must have seen the headlines? 'Baby torn apart by dogs while locals laugh'.

"Baby wasn't local so who cares" said one man.

Shocking stuff tbh.

I dunno, mate. I gave the Talbot St example because it's pretty close by (yes it's a long road, I know) and it's the area I have the most experience with, but I know from walking through some of the places further down that they can be dodgy at night. Obviously passing through ain't the same as living there, but I can only tell the guy what I know.

I wonder what the OP is going to make of all this? :D

Well, you said some people resent blow ins. I am saying they don't in the area we are talking about. I know this from personal experience.

This doesn't have to be a row you know? You admit you haven't been near Sheriff st. in years. Maybe you should take a stroll up it and actually see for yourself what its like before you tell us all. ;)

I wonder what the OP is going to make of all this? :D

Probably bought a house in Sean McDermot St instead, just to be on the safe side :p

They wouldn't. But one could easily seem them as symoblising the end of the old ways including the old community. It isn't rational, but when has that stopped people feeling and thinking a certain way.

So in your reckoning the locals want to go back to the way it was?? Don't see your point?

If you live in a place for 12 years, it means you lived there at least 12 years ago if not further back. So when he was a blow in, there wouldn't have been too many others like him moving into the area.

The lad has said he never had any problems, so you saying it was a better place 10 yr ago NOW? Or are you telling him he only thought it was at good place at that time cause he wasn't seen as a threat!

You're taking the piss. The area was a slum in the 90s.

So we are going back to the 90's to prove your arguements, now who is living in the PAST?

and this is a slum
    800px-

Plus alot of the new developments where, fields, dumps etc so you reckon he should not live in any of them either?

God damn yuppies in jeeps with their fancy hats.

that would annoy the greens more than the locals, we have cars down here too NOW;)

• Advertisement

lightening wrote: »
    Well, you said some people resent blow ins. I am saying they don't in the area we are talking about. I know this from personal experience.

You can't speak for everyone.
    This doesn't have to be a row you know? You admit you haven't been near Sheriff st. in years. Maybe you should take a stroll up it and actually see for yourself what its like before you tell us all. ;)

That would be taking my life in my own hands!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement