Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheriff Street

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Boston wrote: »
    You can't speak for everyone.

Either can you MATE;) You are giving an opinion on an area and its communty based on working near it some yrs back?

That would be taking my life in my own hands!

How many times were you actualy in sheriff street??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

That would be taking my life in my own hands!

Now your just taking the piss.

Lightening, you around Portmarnock this evening. I'm taking my two hounds for a late one on the beach, leaving in 30 minutes.

Everytime I'm up there I'm expecting a wind surfer/kayak dude to hit me up with 'Are you Mairt from boards?'.

Boston, admit it - you really are taking the micky now aren't ya?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

So in your reckoning the locals want to go back to the way it was?? Don't see your point?
    Not totally, but certainly retain the community spirit. Would you disagree?
    The lad has said he never had any problems, so you saying it was a better place 10 yr ago NOW? Or are you telling him he only thought it was at good place at that time cause he wasn't seen as a threat!

I also said I've never had a problem. My point is that resentment towards blowin's is a relatively new thing, brought about by a large influx of people.

800px-

Is that upper or lower sheriff street?

Is that upper or lower sheriff street?

Thats my old gaff in Phil Shanahan house, and thats the black baby I got from Tròcair..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Boston... Come on, you can't be giving advice to the OP if you haven't been there in years!

Sticking home tonight Mairt, if I ever see you I will recognise you and the dogs and say hello!!

I can safely say you and your dogs will never get hassle walking on Sheriff st. or any other st. for that matter!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

This thread is pretty entertaining.

I wasn't sure if there'd be another half-decent thread in here after the Northside Vs Southside rule came into effect.

Is it just me or is someone living on a different PLANET to the rest of us??

All this resentment must be a terrible thing as I would hate for my community to be on the up with lots of people, money, jobs, schools, colleges and opportunities!

Sure it be better left to rot once we can keep all the outsiders out of the area, It would be better to have derelict buildings and truck yards than fancy new developments! Would it??

Maybe we should ask someone who actualy did move in to the area that suffered such resentment, ANYONE??????????

Either can you MATE;) You are giving an opinion on an area and its communty based on working near it some yrs back?

Its based on growing up near there. Sheriff street itself I've only been down maybe a handful of times, and always at high speed.

Mairt wrote: »
    Boston, admit it - you really are taking the micky now aren't ya?.

About half and half. It will be a long time before people like me shake the idea of the sheriff street and the surrounding areas being dodgy as hell.

Tbh I worry about my parents as they get older living in the area and the kids these days who are a bad element have little or no respect for their own community.

Thats my old gaff in Phil Shanahan house, and thats the black baby I got from Tròcair..

How many Trocair boxes you need to fill to get the baby, me only ever got a cross pen:(

Was that the baby we fed to the dags??????

lightening wrote: »
    Sticking home tonight Mairt, if I ever see you I will recognise you and the dogs and say hello!!

No worries, I'm on the way out for a walk before the two of 'em run wild in the house.

Boston, I've two Staffordshire Bull Terriers (well one looks more Pitbull X). So I probably fit your imagine of what a townie (although I was born in Summerhill I grew up in Ballymun) should look like :p

Two staffies, shaved head and hoodie :P

• Advertisement

Its based on growing up near there. Sheriff street itself I've only been down maybe a handful of times, and always at high speed.

Don't be speeding down here either, you will give the locals a bad name:P

About half and half. It will be a long time before people like me shake the idea of the sheriff street and the surrounding areas being dodgy as hell.

Tbh I worry about my parents as they get older living in the area and the kids these days who are a bad element have little or no respect for their own community.

You don't want to live here, so thats no problem then is it?

Plus where exactly did you "GROW UP"??

And as for the eldery, they have a great life down here, some of the best facilities in the world, and the kids look after the old folk, NEVER any problems there! and I know cos I work with them all;) on a voluntary basis like 100's in the area;)

A Fuking blowin, if I ever met one.

Plus where exactly did you "GROW UP"??

The surrounding area.

And as for the eldery, they have a great life down here, some of the best facilities in the world, and the kids look after the old folk, NEVER any problems there! and I know cos I work with them all;) on a voluntary basis like 100's in the area;)

I was going to say the same thing.

Probably one of the last places where kids will run to the shops for the wrinklies - they have to run and not walk to avoid the drive-by shootings.

The surrounding area.

?????????

It is a big place??

Sure you might have even went to school with me??

Did I take your lunch money or something like that, you seem to have a few issues with us folk:D

The surrounding area.

¬¬ ClonTOORF?.

¬¬ ClonTOORF?.

Where that drive by took place:eek:

If we ever meet I might tell yea's. Earth Worm Jim, we may very well have gone to school together. If you where there at any stage in the 5 years I was there, you'd know me. You wouldn't have been stealing me lunch money either :)

Guys, I'm outta here.

The dogs need a walk, I need a beer - but the dogs come first I guess.

The thread is hilarious, I'm glad we all understand now that its been a piss take mostly and we're all still friends.

It'll probably be locked when I'm back later, so 'tis been a laugh lads.

Darndale, now there's a sh*thole :P

/stirs the shit & exits stage left..

If we ever meet I might tell yea's. Earth Worm Jim, we may very well have gone to school together. If you where there at any stage in the 5 years I was there, you'd know me. You wouldn't have been stealing me lunch money either :)

I never had to steal as a kid, as my DAD was a business man and my mother was a teacher! I own my own business now! I was being sacarstic but I wouldn't really like to meet yourself as I don't think we would click somehow!;)

And you still haven't said where exactly you did live??

• Advertisement

Maybe not. Then again I'm nothing like my online persona in real life. I'm actually from the south side, I only know about sheriff street because my protestant private primary school took my class on a field trip there to see what poor people looked like. They look dirty.

Maybe not. Then again I'm nothing like my online persona in real life. I'm actually from the south side, I only know about sheriff street because my protestant private primary school took my class on a field trip there to see what poor people looked like. They look dirty.

thought as much, you may have visited quite close to me as I live in the old protestant part of the North Lotts, maybe you know of it?? (HINT) its close to the mosque!

And you should have told us you were coming on that field trip, we could have got the molitov cocktails ready for the welcome!:D

And off course we were dirty, we do live in the slums:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'm just going to throw in something here that I oftentimes wonder about when I walk down (or up) upper Sherrif st, sorry if it breaks up the conversation on who has earned the 'local stars' and whatnot.

At the junction where Castleforbes road meets Sherriff, there is a plaque on the wall saying Castleforbes 17(hundred and something)? I'll check date tommorrow if I remember. It has a little bit of blue Graffiti on it. Does anyone know what that bits about?

WindSock wrote: »
    I'm just going to throw in something here that I oftentimes wonder about when I walk down (or up) upper Sherrif st, sorry if it breaks up the conversation on who has earned the 'local stars' and whatnot.

At the junction where Castleforbes road meets Sherriff, there is a plaque on the wall saying Castleforbes 17(hundred and something)? I'll check date tommorrow if I remember. It has a little bit of blue Graffiti on it. Does anyone know what that bits about?

The most interesting building in this district is Castle Forbes, Upper Sheriff Street. It is a tall old house, standing as directly on the street as Hawthorne's House of the Seven Gables which it recalls in many ways. The stone containing the inscription "Castle Forbes, 1729," in the curling letters and numerals of the eighteenth century, is at some distance from the house. If that date refers to the existing building, Castle Forbes is probably the oldest house on the north side of Dublin, and is surpassed in age by only a very few years by any old house on the south side, of which there are still some in the Liberties. Old maps of this district of North Lotts mark another old house called Forbes Castle (in ruins) on the East Road; to which perhaps the date on the stone is equally applicable; also the martially sounding names of Fort William in Upper, Sheriff Street and Fort Crystal, a very handsome building long vanished, where Church Road meets the sea.

There is still Fort Lodge on the West Road, and Fort Crystal Terrace. Northcourt Avenue, Lower Middle and Upper, off Church Road, misspelled Northcote Avenue on some maps, was, formerly called North's Court from a house here.

But only Castle Forbes remains, and it was probably the oldest, for the date is about the earliest at which a house could have been built here, although the existing building scarcely looks as much as a hundred and eighty years old. It looks much taller, viewed from the side, than from the front. The door in Sherifff Street is modern, the old front door being on the side remote from the street. The house must have been very conspicuous when it was the only building in this district, as it was for many years. Now it is surrounded by buildings and chimneys, but is still remarkable for its ancient and quaint aspect. It was evidently built by some one called Forbes. We find members of that Highland clan in Dublin a long time ago. Perhaps the builder of this relic of the early days of the Hanoverian succession was George Forbes, who was Lord Mayor in 1720. It was afterwards for many years the residence of the Carolin family who have been long connected with the commerce of Dublin. Some years ago it was the office of a glass bottle company, whose works adjoined it.

It is now in possession of Messrs. Martin, whose name has been honourably identified with the Port of Dublin for more than a century. Though a little the worse for wear it is still in pretty good preservation, and its great age merits that attention to its future existence which we hope it will receive.

(In Sheriff Street was situated the Prison where the French prisoners of war were confined, who were captured in the great War beginning with the Revolution and ending in the, fall of Napoleon.)

this may help

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It just so happens...........:D

SheriffStreetUpperCastleforbes1729.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Just a random act of vandalism then?

Also, I just noticed you edited the word '<SNIP>' out of one of my posts! :pac: Is that considered obscene? Somebody should compile a list so we know...

Phlann wrote: »
    Also, I just noticed you edited the word '<SNIP>' out of one of my posts! :pac: Is that considered obscene? Somebody should compile a list so we know...

Only when your <SNIP> :p

Phlann wrote: »
    Just a random act of vandalism then?

Only when your <SNIP> :p
    Lads - please keep it on topic.

This is not an 'adults only' Forum. A bit of decorum would be appreciated. Thanks.

I presume that plaque must have come from an older building than the one where it is currently in situ (Castleforbes Business park).

In 1729, although the North Wall was in existed, the land behind it appeared to have been due for reclaimation. By the time of John Rocque's map of 1756, some of the streets in the area were present although they appeared to have ended at the present day East Wall Road. Note the absence of railways, bridges and the Customs House.

JohnRocque1756.jpg

Looking at the Ordnance Survey map of 1856, it appears that there was a structure called Forbes Castle which was described as being "in ruins". I'm wondering if the plaque removed from this older building and brought to it present location?

Forbes Castle would appear to have been about half way along the East Road, probably near the present intersection with Caledon Road.

OrdnanceSurvey1856.jpg

(Note "Wapping Street". It was later enveloped in the rail freight terminal on the North Wall and a new street replaced it - "New Wapping Street". I'm not sure when this happened but possibly around 1860/1870 (?).)

• Advertisement

I've seen those maps before in trinity. My house was field...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement