Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheriff Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Looking at the Ordnance Survey map of 1856, it appears that there was a structure called Forbes Castle which was described as being "in ruins". I'm wondering if the plaque removed from this older building and brought to it present location?
    Presumably the 'castle' wasn't a castle at all and was just a large house along the line of Ardgillan Castle in North County Dublin. It would have been too late to be built as a castle as the style between the two maps didn't see castles being built.

In that case the plaque was most likely on a gate lodge and is it is relative correct place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In 1842, Castle Forbes was occupied by an E. Carolin, Esq.

It is referred to in 'North Dublin' by Dillon Cosgrove, published in 1909.

The most interesting building in this district is Castle Forbes, Upper Sheriff Street. It is a tall old house, standing as directly on the street as Hawthorne's House of the Seven Gables which it recalls in many ways. The stone containing the inscription "Castle Forbes, 1729," in the curling letters and numerals of the eighteenth century, is at some distance from the house. If that date refers to the existing building, Castle Forbes is probably the oldest house on the north side of Dublin, and is surpassed in age by only a very few years by any old house on the south side, of which there are still some in the Liberties. Old maps of this district of North Lotts mark another old house called Forbes Castle (in ruins) on the East Road; to which perhaps the date on the stone is equally applicable; also the martially sounding names of Fort William in Upper, Sheriff Street and Fort Crystal, a very handsome building long vanished, where Church Road meets the sea.

There is still Fort Lodge on the West Road, and Fort Crystal Terrace. Northcourt Avenue, Lower Middle and Upper, off Church Road, misspelled Northcote Avenue on some maps, was, formerly called North's Court from a house here.

But only Castle Forbes remains, and it was probably the oldest, for the date is about the earliest at which a house could have been built here, although the existing building scarcely looks as much as a hundred and eighty years old. It looks much taller, viewed from the side, than from the front. The door in Sherifff Street is modern, the old front door being on the side remote from the street. The house must have been very conspicuous when it was the only building in this district, as it was for many years. Now it is surrounded by buildings and chimneys, but is still remarkable for its ancient and quaint aspect. It was evidently built by some one called Forbes. We find members of that Highland clan in Dublin a long time ago. Perhaps the builder of this relic of the early days of the Hanoverian succession was George Forbes, who was Lord Mayor in 1720. It was afterwards for many years the residence of the Carolin family who have been long connected with the commerce of Dublin. Some years ago it was the office of a glass bottle company, whose works adjoined it.

It is now in possession of Messrs. Martin, whose name has been honourably identified with the Port of Dublin for more than a century. Though a little the worse for wear it is still in pretty good preservation, and its great age merits that attention to its future existence which we hope it will receive.

*extract taken from http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/NorthDub/cosgrave12.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

So err...where did the name of Sheriff st come from?

Simple as some city Sheriff who may have lived on the street?...and if so, which one from which era?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but the major streets around there seemed to be named after the 'parties' of civic life at the time
    Sheriff St.
    Mayor St.
    Commons St.
    There's probably some more in that theme...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ste.phen wrote: »
    I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread
    Nope!
    Ste.phen wrote:
    the major streets around there seemed to be named after the 'parties' of civic life at the time
    Sheriff St.
    Mayor St.
    Commons St.
    There's probably some more in that theme...
    And not forgetting "Guild" Street. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

A very interesting place. And some very interesting people spawned from there. Isn't lower sheriff street called 'the strand' by locals. mairt, wishbown and others can confirm this , but I know it is called Strand in city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

knird evol wrote: »
    A very interesting place. And some very interesting people spawned from there. Isn't lower sheriff street called 'the strand' by locals. mairt, wishbown and others can confirm this , but I know it is called Strand in city.

No, the strand is a different place. Its the section of the north strand road from the five lamps to the post office and all the roads/side roads that open onto it. For example seville place.

Of course this is all open to interpretation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

luke kelly was from sheriff street, and then moved to larkhill

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Táck wrote: »
    luke kelly was from sheriff street, and then moved to larkhill
    Can you blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Sheriff Street is not as bad as some people make out. Some good folk over that side of the water (Thats high praise coming from a Ringsender :D). Salt of the earth quay workers mostly no problems at all. I remember our first introductions when the east link opened like a scene from that movie warriors :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

TheBlock wrote: »
    Sheriff Street is not as bad as some people make out. Some good folk over that side of the water (Thats high praise coming from a Ringsender :D). Salt of the earth quay workers mostly no problems at all. I remember our first introductions when the east link opened like a scene from that movie warriors :D

Yup, I remember you guys used to throw bread over the river to us...

and we'd throw it back buttered

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

(Thats high praise coming from a Ringsender :D).

Haha! good one.... I used to row skiffs, the Ringsenders (Pats and Stella) won everything! Unbelievable rivalry between the rowing clubs on the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Was a Stella Maris man myself I take you rowed for East Wall or Tolka...both of which have long since ceased to take part in what is a dying sport.

Do you remember the penny ferry that used to cross over from Hatchets Corner to the Piont and then to Ringsend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Was a Stella Maris man myself I take you rowed for East Wall or Tolka...both of which have long since ceased to take part in what is a dying sport.

Dollymount and East Wall. Still my favourat of all sports I ever did. Wasn't really that good, but loved it, ended up going across the Irish Sea!

I don't remember the ferry, I was a blow in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Mairt wrote: »
    Yup, I remember you guys used to throw bread over the river to us...

and we'd throw it back buttered

So guys - the East Link was opened in 1984 and the Sean O' Casey bridge in 2005. I presume then that, previously, there was no bridge at all east of the Custom House? Ringsend/Irishtown must have been a bit of a backwater if so.

Was there a ferry link? The Ferryman pub might give a clue like :)

I obviously speak as a non-Dub.

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Ringsend/Irishtown must have been a bit of a backwater if so.
    I'm sure the good people of Ringsend/Irishtown will insist that the northside was isolated then! :)

Reminds me of that famous headline from a British newspaper: "Fog in Channel - Continent cut off" (or words to that effect).
    RoyMcC wrote:
    Was there a ferry link? The Ferryman pub might give a clue like :)
    There was a plethora of ferry crossing the Liffey at various points through history.

The ferrymen used to deliberately damage the old wooden bridges when they were build as it was a threat to their business.

Thank you Mr Ash. I notice that yet another bridge is planned for 2010 - the Samuel Beckett Bridge from near The Ferryman over to Spencer Dock.

I've just checked my copy of "Liffey Bridges" (ME Tinsley) and it states that the East Link Toll Bridge replaced a ferry service that was in operation since 1665!

Oh right! I guess the ferryman had probably had enough by that stage anyway.

I'm guessing the Sherriff Street area was less of a backwater as it will always have had the harbour activity and a natural link with the city. (Though I know Ringsend was historically a fishing village, and also a tie-up for Irish Sea boats).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

There is still a ferry service that will take you across for €2 or return for €3. Service may be obsolete when new bridge goes up next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kalky

I need to hear the truth about this place, moving into an apartment there soon and all I'm being told at work is that this area is really dodgy cos its near sheriff street..are they exaggerating??!

I am doing reaserch in Maths/Finance at DCU and I ve just bought a house down there. With the Luas, City Centre a stones away, IFSC, the new Calatravas Bridge and new spencer dock development this area in the next 2 years will be top notch! A bargain now with the property market plummeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Surely it's only a bargain if the property market immediately stops plummeting as soon as you buy it? :)

Ok, hi to everyone in this post. I am confused after reading this post for the following reason. There is a cottage house in Second avenue, off Seville Place

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?search=Search+%BB&s[cc_id]=ct1&s[mnb]=&s[mxb]=&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=150000&s[pt_id]=&s[house_type]=&s[sqmn]=&s[sqmx]=&s[mna]=&s[mxa]=&s[search_type]=sale&s[transport]=&s[advanced]=&s[price_per_room]=&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&s[sort_by]=distance&s[sort_type]=a&limit=10&id=412216

it is on the market for 150 (even less since it has been there for more than a year).
    Now, I am not irish but Italian. I do not know the area very well (just the normal estate agent stuff like the IFSC, the new bridge coming soon, the LUAS etc) and I am not sure now about the bargain. Just looking the house seemed good to me (around 15euro to fix it) but then I am reading in this post and on internet in general all the comments about what is going on over there and I wander if it is worth it.

I am a PhD guy studing maths. I mean..big glasses, really thick and loser look. I wonder if l should be afraid of living down there? Anyone can tell me something? Anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

I thought you said you've already bought a house (three posts up). Have you bought or have you not ?

IMO it's €150k for a reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

theres trouble in every area. most of what you hear about sheriff street is bull to be honest. sure, there was a murder there outside the chinese, but wasnt there a murder outside Mace in the fancy posh IFSC around the corner a couple of years ago yet people concider that a lovely area.

I know a lot of the people there and come from there myself, even grew up with a lot of the more notorious names, but its not what its made out to be. if you go looking for hassle, without a doubt you will find it as with anywhere, but if you keep yourself to yourself as most of the residents there do, then you'll be fine.

I don't think the guy shot outside the Mace was from the 'fancy posh IFSC' and nor was his assailant. I don't want to run down Sherrif st. but the area's troubles are hardly average compared to the rest of Dublin.

Rusty and Masada tks. I ve not signed the contract yet. Really not sure about that though. I am taking the wkend to think about it. I went down there yesterday and I was easily water ballooned. But this is not the point (I was throwing balloon myself back in Italy when I was a kid). The point is that there was a group of mothers chatting and looking over the children throwing stuff to people, bikes and cars. They did not say anything to the children (my mother would have give me really bad time). In the corner of one of these streets, there was a bike burned down on the pavement (what was left was just the frame and some ashes) and nobody did really care. I mean, stepping outside your house and there s a mess just right there! So, I ve started thinking about my thick glasses and my loser bike burned down in front of the new house...

You could always rent in the area for a while, get a feel for it. Prices are not going up anytime soon (probably the opposite).

I know the area fairly well, pm me if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I lived in Sheriff St (Phil Shanahan house for the older lads here) for a time, and all my in-laws are living in the area, there and Eastwall.

Honestly, there's not a snow balls chance in hell I'd buy a house in the area.

I'd consider buying a first house down there like buying your first car, you know its going to be junk and you'll find it hard (imposible) to sell later - but out of desparation you might do it anyway and regret it later.

• Advertisement

Tks to everyone. So answering to Makikomi, I m gonna keep my bike: no second-hand car. Just a pity because I like the house. It was in good condition and close to the city centre. I am sure the new bridge and the restyling of spencer dock canal will improve the surrounding area a lot.

It s a bargain for an irish person who does not come from Donnybrook.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement