Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheriff Street

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DublinBhoyJoe

Hi all, new to the site,

I have read all the posts on this thread and nobody had mentioned all the good that came from the area

1. Luke Kelly (best ballad singer this country has ever seen)
    2. Don Baker (One of the best Blues Harmonica Players in Europe)
    3. Stephen Gateley (became famous as a member of Boyzone)
    4. Keith Treacy (Who is now playing Premiership Football with Blackburn Rvs)
    5. Olivia O'Toole (Rep Of Ireland Ladies all time Goal Scorer 53 Goals)
    6. Jim Sheridan (International Film Director).
    7. Local girls school got to six gaelic finals in Croke Park over the last 10 years
    8. Sheriff YC won the Aul Premier A on Tuesday and won a Junior Cup

I could go on and on, The moral of the story is, Sheriff st is like a lot of other great areas to live in Dublin and Ireland, It has its, Good, Great and Bad, Those of you who sit on the outside and knock the area have been doing for years, Next time you knock our little community have a look above and tell me can you say the same about your community.

By the way I live in the are all my life, My mother and grandmother and great grandmother was born on Sheriff St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kalky

Hi all, new to the site,

I have read all the posts on this thread and nobody had mentioned all the good that came from the area

1. Luke Kelly (best ballad singer this country has ever seen)
    2. Don Baker (One of the best Blues Harmonica Players in Europe)
    3. Stephen Gateley (became famous as a member of Boyzone)
    4. Keith Treacy (Who is now playing Premiership Football with Blackburn Rvs)
    5. Olivia O'Toole (Rep Of Ireland Ladies all time Goal Scorer 53 Goals)
    6. Jim Sheridan (International Film Director).
    7. Local girls school got to six gaelic finals in Croke Park over the last 10 years
    8. Sheriff YC won the Aul Premier A on Tuesday and won a Junior Cup

I could go on and on, The moral of the story is, Sheriff st is like a lot of other great areas to live in Dublin and Ireland, It has its, Good, Great and Bad, Those of you who sit on the outside and knock the area have been doing for years, Next time you knock our little community have a look above and tell me can you say the same about your community.

By the way I live in the are all my life, My mother and grandmother and great grandmother was born on Sheriff St.

You are right about that. I am reading Peter Sheridan book "Dublin Memories" and it is really gripping to see the community in the area. I grew up myself in a social house from a working family. However, I ve got the impression that what we are talking about it is something that it is gone and it s in the past. Many good working class people who got the money and the opportunities moved out of the place as soon as they could. I guess Jim Sheridan does not live there anymore. My point was that as an outsider (i.e. foreigner and loser PhD guy) I am a bit worried about the stubbing and shooting going on there in last couple of years.

I am sorry, I am not judging anybody. I went down there 6-7 times in the last two weeks and I saw kids throwing stuff to cars and burning down bikes on the step of their house with mothers saying nothing.

It was a big gamble for me to buy a house over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kalky - why are you putting yourself down (loser look, glasses, PHD etc.)? Many of us would love to have the academic ability or opportunity to be doing a PHD, never mind doing so in a foreign country in a foreign language. It is the scumbags who are the losers.

In relation to the house - what would bother me is car parking. I wouldn't fancy leaving my motor on Second Avenue but maybe I'm fussier than average about scratches etc.. You may get a bit of hassle if you are new but that would happen to anyone. Just don't react to it. I doubt that it would have anything to do with your looks or nationality.

Táck wrote: »
    luke kelly was from sheriff street, and then moved to larkhill

Luke Kelly was born on Lattimores Place, Off Major Street, gets your facts right, NOT Sheriff St.

The fued in the North Wall is between 2 families in Oriel Street off Seville Place, NOT Sheriff Street.

Get the facts correct, reading to much Sunday World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Luke Kelly was born on Lattimores Place, Off Major Street, gets your facts right, NOT Sheriff St.

Lwr Mayor St.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The fued in the North Wall is between 2 families in Oriel Street off Seville Place, NOT Sheriff Street.

Get the facts correct, reading to much Sunday World.

Surely Sheriff St is a street and a region. Oriel St. and Seville Pl. and Mayor St. are Sheriff St. region.

And that feud is a Sheriff St. (region) feud.

gets your facts right......

........Get the facts correct
    Fairly agressive tone there for a newbie Joe!

Placing yourself so high on a pedestal can cause dizziness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Stop trying to cause a fued, Wishbone ;)

I see they have metered parking up and running on the street this week. I was wondering why I got a spot so easily this morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Apart from the fact that it has a high level of crime, yet some decent old skins. Apart from the fact that it's pretty run down yet an historic old part of town, and apart from the fact that you're probably more likely to have your mail robbed, your car stolen and a nightly exhibition in anti-social behaviour, it is also miles away from town. You will feel exiled and imprisoned in your home down there, and unless you're from a very gritty background, you'll find the daily trudge home past litter and menacing youth a tad bit depressing. I would not live down there in a fit, and take it from the posts here. The only people who are recommending it are either from there, have relatives down there, or most likely, live in a worse area and have lost all grip..

I dig Dublin, but I also know areas where social problems exist, and this area is right up there. If you're going to tie yourself to a mortgage, don't do it somewhere that COULD be ok, if you close you eyes. Do it somewhere where it WILL be ok...

Anyway...

humberklog wrote: »
    Surely Sheriff St is a street and a region. Oriel St. and Seville Pl. and Mayor St. are Sheriff St. region.

And that feud is a Sheriff St. (region) feud.

My god what a silly quote, The region of Dublin is called 'North Wall'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Speaking from my perspective of just across the river in Pearse St. That whole area has always been known as Sheriffer/Sheriff St to me. It incorporates the whole area. Just like, i don't live on Pearse St, or even immediatly off Pearse St but i'm from the Pearse St area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

A Disgrace wrote: »
    it is also miles away from town

It's a few minutes walk from town!

We know it's North Wall, but if someone is from the area they be known as being from Sheriffer... It's been like that for years. The amount of people I know from the surrounding areas would always say they are from Sheriff st. Doesn't mean their address is exactly on the road. I lived in Abercorn/Irvine for years I was told I lived on the North Wall or on Sheriff st. by East Wall people and I was told I was on the East Wall by North Wall/Sheriff st people! I wouldn't get in a sweat about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kalky

Apart from the fact that it has a high level of crime, yet some decent old skins. Apart from the fact that it's pretty run down yet an historic old part of town, and apart from the fact that you're probably more likely to have your mail robbed, your car stolen and a nightly exhibition in anti-social behaviour, it is also miles away from town. You will feel exiled and imprisoned in your home down there, and unless you're from a very gritty background, you'll find the daily trudge home past litter and menacing youth a tad bit depressing. I would not live down there in a fit, and take it from the posts here. The only people who are recommending it are either from there, have relatives down there, or most likely, live in a worse area and have lost all grip..

I dig Dublin, but I also know areas where social problems exist, and this area is right up there. If you're going to tie yourself to a mortgage, don't do it somewhere that COULD be ok, if you close you eyes. Do it somewhere where it WILL be ok...

Anyway...

It will be very interesting to see what will happen down there when the new calatrava bridge will open up at the end of the year. I guess more cars, more traffic, more control of the area even though this will mean losing some community feeling. And then the luas and spencer dock area in general. Who knows, maybe in ten years time this will be the posh area of the city. Still 90% of the house down there are still social houses with not contact at all with the gated apts and IMO a mix would have be better. If someone is interested in the topic, here's a good research paper to read

http://www.dicp.ie/pdfs/DICP_Divided%20City.pdf

Keep your god, it's Sheriffer.

humberklog wrote: »
    Keep your god, it's Sheriffer.

Well if thats the case I would like to welcome all those who rent or purchased an apartment on Upr or Lr Sheriff St, Upr or Lr Mayor St, Castleforbes, Spencer Dock Bridge and anywhere I did not mention in the NORTH WALL...Welcome to Sheriffer..You can tell all your mates in work your a Sheriffer Head...

Well if thats the case I would like to welcome all those who rent or purchased an apartment on Upr or Lr Sheriff St, Upr or Lr Mayor St, Castleforbes, Spencer Dock Bridge and anywhere I did not mention in the NORTH WALL...Welcome to Sheriffer..You can tell all your mates in work your a Sheriffer Head...

I wouldn't go as far as you in that I wouldn't consider all of the NW to be Sheriffer, nor would I consider anyone that has just moved into the area to be a "Sheriffer head" but whatever floats your boat.

it is also miles away from town
    It's in Dublin 1 - hardly miles from town. I park there regularly as it was (until this week :() one of the few areas left in Dublin 1 with free on-street parking. It's only a few minutes walk from the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

That is the question...

I know what the last Nazi Mod here would have done!.

Well, is this going anywhere?.

Btw, DublinBhoyJoe - I lived in Sheriffer, ALL my in-laws are still living there. None, not one - nada, zilch, zero, negativo refer to 'Sheriffer' as 'Northwall'. Now tone down your attitude a little bit eh!.

So the question - 'to lock or not to lock!..

Feck it, if in doubt - lock/delete/ban :D

I'm locking this one, really its served it purpose and if anyone has a genuine reason (other than to argue) why it should be opened again PM me pls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement