Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession victom

Options
  • 22-10-2008 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Ive been self employed for 10 years now.Working on my own with no worries until early this year when I changed profession.The industry ive moved into was busy when I got going in April but im strugling now. Ive advertised in the Golden Pages, on my car, I have a website, I ran add campaigns in the northside people paper and even left business cards in shops,garages ect..
    The phone is not ringing and the work I have is running out.I dont know what to do next, I cant advertise any more because im not earning enough to pay for it.
    I just got a part time job today but its only one or sometimes two days a week.I know its not much but I dont have much of a choice.
    The two industries ive worked in for the last ten years are gone downhill.Im seriously thinking of packing it all in but Ill find it hard to get a full time job with good pay.
    Any advice people ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Firstly, i'm sorry to hear of your story. Its the ways it gone in this economy - it seems like everyone is just holding their breath, waiting to see what happens next and all non essential spending has stopped and you seem to be a victim of that.

ok, a few simple things to do -

Any outstanding debts you have, chase them and get paid. Do it now or you may never be paid.
    If you do credit on future jobs, thread carefully.
    Look at your outgoings personal and business - SLASH em'.
    Career-wise, don't be too disheartened - 95% of our population are meployed right now and you'd probably get a job if you apply yourself to getting a job - you'd probably surprise yourself - like you got that parttim work did'nt you. It all about attitude and positive thinking.

Best of luck and chin up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

it seems like everyone is just holding their breath, waiting to see what happens next

It's a lot lot worse than that I'm afraid.

OP, some of what you have posed above tells me that you might have a problem marketing your business... Some words are jumping out at me, in particular, Golden Pages and Northside People and Website.

Firstly, can you give us a rough idea of what services/products you offer?

I posted here before on this forum recently on how I learnt some extremely expensive and difficult lessons after putting too much faith in advertising through newspapers and The Golden Pages... When I read your post, it reminded me of how I had problems in the past because I was paying megabucks for Golden Pages advertising, newspaper ads, etc, and couldn't understand how I had no business, until I came to understand that I could have quadrupled my spending on advertising, but if I was not reaching my potential customers and if the message was not spot on, I may as well have been shredding the money I was spending...

Firstly, can you give us a rough idea of what services/products you offer?

Can you tell us how many visits your website is getting per month and how many sales you are getting through your website???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭MB74

Sorry to hear your predicament hope it doesn't last.

Can you tell us what sector or industry you are in and we might be able to comment of advise more.

Advertisement