Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Report on motor trade - RTE News

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I remember back in the late nineties hearing that we had the cheapest pre-tax prices in the EU, and it was the VRT and VAT that pumped up the price so much. I also remember seeing tonnes off ZZ plates being issued to UK residents. So what's changed, have the dealers over the years increased there cut of the pie meaning the UK don't come here as much or is it the currency factor (remember the punt)? Regardless of how much something costs, to buy anything in the UK at the moment is better value as the Euro is worth so much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

delly wrote: »
    I remember back in the late nineties hearing that we had the cheapest pre-tax prices in the EU, and it was the VRT and VAT that pumped up the price so much. I also remember seeing tonnes off ZZ plates being issued to UK residents.

I lived in the UK in the nineties and checked the price of a new Polo 16v here (Dublin) with a view to buying it here and exporting it to the UK, and just paying the 17.5% UK VAT.

It turned out that 50.1%(!) of the Irish price was VAT, VRT and other things that I wouldn't have had to pay. And the reason that I didn't do it was that, due to VRT, the spec was appalling, and even if I chose every extra available in Irl, it would still be inferior to the standard UK version. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Yes its VRT thats killing them, if it wasnt around they would be in a position to sell more affordable cars to us and would also be able to export cars to the UK at prices comparable to there.
    Whilst VRT has bumped up the prices, its not the reason that cars aren't selling! We're in an economic downturn and to take on a loan for a car would be relatively foolish. The fact that the downturn started in or around when the new VRT rates kicked in didn't help the dealers who were already struggling because many people decided to wait until July.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Airside in Swords are in bad financial trouble according to the motor trade rumour mill.

One of my friends is a mechanic out there for one of the dealers (guess which one :D ) and they are apparently in very serious trouble.

This country has simply gotten too expensive and this is why it's gone to ****e. It's not just cars everything is cheaper outside of Ireland. In the last year I've bought about 3k worth of goods from the UK and saved about 1k compared to buying here. We're going up north to do the crimbo shopping too (and even with the cost of a weekends hotel) we'll prob still save a packet.

I'm sure the VAT man loves me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

kbannon wrote: »
    The fact that the downturn started in or around when the new VRT rates kicked in didn't help the dealers who were already struggling because many people decided to wait until July.

+1
    Think you're right there OK,and then July was too late so people decided to hold out 'til January next...and now the downturn is in big time..

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Problem come January is the dealers used car flow has stopped so he can't give a reasonable trade in when someone is buying a new car so that in turn will make the person looking to buy new hold off further changing their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

Reading all the comments it's quiet clear that nobody knows how the motor trade works!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

dmca77 wrote: »
    Reading all the comments it's quiet clear that nobody knows how the motor trade works!!!!!

How does it work :p

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

I have read COMENTS about dealers driving around carparks and taking reg numbers for warranty and claiming.
    When a dealer gets an warranty audit and dealer audit they have to keep all parts replaced for 90 days and paperwork for 5 years for inspection.
    The auditiors come in and check very part.
    The part has a stamp date which will reconise to the vehicle that it was removed from.
    If all is okay then the factary will pass the claim or deny if the jobcard is not writtten correctly.
    No fraud claims anymore,
    ps...
    I HATE TAXI DRIVERS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I have read COMENTS about dealers driving around carparks and taking reg numbers for warranty and claiming.
    When a dealer gets an warranty audit and dealer audit they have to keep all parts replaced for 90 days and paperwork for 5 years for inspection.
    The auditiors come in and check very part.
    The part has a stamp date which will reconise to the vehicle that it was removed from.
    If all is okay then the factary will pass the claim or deny if the jobcard is not writtten correctly.
    No fraud claims anymore,
    ps...
    I HATE TAXI DRIVERS

Come back when you understand what you are talking about. There isn't a word greater than 6 letters in the above post that you have spelt correctly...

factary

reconise

auditiors

COMENTS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's quite clear you can't spell so your post doesn't have any effect! Plus, add four extra exclamation marks for perceived emphasis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Firefox now has a built in spellchecker:).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lads, remember that this isn't the English forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well I was gonna do a big multi quote post but have changed my mind.

As a mechanic who has worked in a main dealers for quite some time I feel seriously pissed off with the state of the motor trade in Ireland.

SIMI are a shower of bastards. Jobs for the boyos and group hugs all round. The dealer I work in is part of the SIMI and was challenged on the mechanics rates recommened by SIMI, he said he couldnt afford to pay them..

I heard on the radio some pleb from the SIMI complaining about people selling cars on the side of the road and how they couldnt compete.

So fcuking what.. anyone who buys a car off the side of the road does so knowing (or should know) that the warranty is a mile or a minute, whichever comes first.

Personally I will never buy a car off a dealer, I couldnt care less about the plate glass facade, free coffee and suit wearing Dick Turpin that 'helps' me.
    When you buy your car at inflated prices, this is what you are paying for.

As for the point on warranty claims, yes they do audit, but that is not going to stop a fiddle. So long as you are cute in the way you go about it most of the claims will get through, this from what I have seen is normally to the benefit of a valued customer where I work.

On apprentices, having been there and done that, it just isn't right to pay full whack for an apprentice to be working on your car.

When I started my trade I had already been under me old lads grubby tuition since I was old enough to walk so had a distinct advantage, but I have seen lads coming in and not having a clue. 2 weeks later they are doing an oil change on there own.

I have witnessed collasal fcuk ups because of this. Four hours labour will normally pay a first year apr wages for the week.. how can this be justified?

BAH, I'll stop now.
    Sorry for the rant and long post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

miju wrote: »

This country has simply gotten too expensive and this is why it's gone to ****e. It's not just cars everything is cheaper outside of Ireland. In the last year I've bought about 3k worth of goods from the UK and saved about 1k compared to buying here. We're going up north to do the crimbo shopping too (and even with the cost of a weekends hotel) we'll prob still save a packet.

I'm sure the VAT man loves me :D

I agree with you on the "Rip Of Ireland" sentiments but Mr. Lenihan has already stated that as long as we continue to buy goods from outside the state then the gov will continue to increase VAT, income tax and any other tax they need to recover the lost revenue.

http://www.rte.ie/money/budget2009/stories/2008/1015/budgetlenihan.html

So while we might save a few quid buying cars, booze, washing machines or whatever in the north or uk make no mistake...the gov will get that money back from us one way or another. If you don't pay the higher prices in Irish shops then they will just take it directly out of our pockets via various taxes :mad:

It's a nightmare situation that isn't going to get better anytime soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

well Lenihan can keeping hiking the taxes all he wants it will just mean more and more people will shop outside the state and he'll quickly see where that will get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭ei9go

Phoned a couple of weeks ago to enquire about this car.

http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/search/Toyota/Rav4/2.0-VVT-/200840190290057/advert

Price was then 34975 Euro

Then one Saturday morning the dealership phoned me ( must have saved my number from the caller display) and asked would I like to come and look at the car.

So, I did go and look and he wanted silly money off me.
    Told him , I buy a top spec one in the Uk for 10,000 less.

The following week, they dropped the price of the car to 29975 Euro.

Nice sales technique

I'm not going to mention any names. But there are lots of rumors about a large garage chain that aggressively expanded in the last few years may be going to the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

With all its faults Carzone and its likes really opened peoples eyes on prices.The SIMI and co did to the public what the auctioneers did with houses. Lots of negative equity on the roads of Ireland in the last few months.

fastrac wrote: »
    With all its faults Carzone and its likes really opened peoples eyes on prices.The SIMI and co did to the public what the auctioneers did with houses. Lots of negative equity on the roads of Ireland in the last few months.

Since when are vehicles an asset that gains value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ronoc wrote: »
    I'm not going to mention any names. But there are lots of rumors about a large garage chain that aggressively expanded in the last few years may be going to the wall.

There will be tumbleweed in the forecourts next winter :eek:

Advertisement