Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacking scum

Options
  • 22-10-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭

Argggh! I'm angry

Someone hacked into my old xbox 360 account and bought 10,000 MS points. Thats 120e off my credit card. I found out 5 minutes after they did it when my gmail alert showed a new email from MS.

I ring MS and was put through to the fraud dept. They quickly cancelled the account and told me not to worry about the money as they would refund it back. I was assured it would be back on my card within 30 days.

Just confused how they got the account. I haven't used it since my xbox 360 RROD. Before i dumped the 360 i wiped its harddrive. That was over 6 months ago. The account had renewed before the RROD in february so I didn't cancel it in case i bought another 360.

Also the rep said the person bought GTA SA content. XBL has GTA SA content now? I assume it was GTA4 content and mix up on his part.

Now i know how it feels when people get their WoW accounts keylogged.

[/Rant]

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That sucks man,least you'll get your cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

GTA: SA is now available for download via Xbox Live Marketplace.

Did you have any odd people adding you as a friend? In the last week I had four people asking me to befriend them. They were neither friend nor someone who I played in a game online. They had some dodgy email addresses like mexico@mexico.com etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Whats dodgy about that? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I ring MS and was put through to the fraud dept. They quickly cancelled the account and told me not to worry about the money as they would refund it back. I was assured it would be back on my card within 30 days.

Forget Microsoft, initiate proceedings through your Credit Card company or have a email stating clearly that Microsoft will refund the money, not a verbal agreement over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

those sneaky mexicans..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Forget Microsoft, initiate proceedings through your Credit Card company or have a email stating clearly that Microsoft will refund the money, not a verbal agreement over the phone.

Yeah i contacted the bank today about it. They logged it and are prepared to pull back the money if MS doesn't come through.

Right guys,

I got back the money in November. I assumed they deleted the gamertag and that hacking scumbag was without an account. Today i'm installing DoW2 and it asks for a windows live account. I might aswell link it to my msn account login like my gamertag was. But hey my gamertag on XBL is still active and has been used just a few days ago.

Ring MS, my cc details weren't removed and i was instructed to go to site to remove them myself. I asked for the account to be suspended or removed and they can't do that it seems. I hang up and later ring back after checking that all my personal info is still available. I quote the data protection act and that i want the account removed. They refuse to remove it and advise me to go billing at microsoft.com.

WTF! my account gets hacked, fraud on credit card and they refuse to delete the XBL account and let that sh1t still use the tag for gaming. I can't even block him myself.

EDIT: Can i remove that gamertag from my msn account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

no offence, but would the majority of people's first instinct not be to go to the microsoft site and remove all reference to their credit card number? as opposed doing nothing and assuming that whoever hacked you wouldnt do it again

Helix wrote: »
    no offence, but would the majority of people's first instinct not be to go to the microsoft site and remove all reference to their credit card number? as opposed doing nothing and assuming that whoever hacked you wouldnt do it again

There was no option on the billing site to remove the credit card. I was instructed by the site to contact Microsoft support. There is now an option on the XBL site. I don't know how long thats been there but previously all credit card information and cancellations had to be processed over the phone.

Also i was informed by the rep when the refund was processed that all credit card information was removed and only shown on the billing site for records. My credit card company had flagged my account for any transactions from MS aswell. I hardly sat there and thought the lad wasn't going to do it again by himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

same thing happened to a guy over on grcade. He had almost 100K GS and his account was hacked. Through some awesome internet detectivery we tracked down the little ****e that did it, and his phishing site is now offline

http://www.grcade.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6868&start=0

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

First thing you shold do is change the password on your live account.

Stephen wrote: »
    First thing you shold do is change the password on your live account.

Its changed but he still has access to the account. My memory of XBL is really vague but i assume when you change your password on windows live it doesn't need to be re-entered into the xbox since you already linked the accounts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Where did you dump the Xbox when it died? that's what I'd like to know. Hundreds of people go back to exchange RROD machines every month I'd say and if there's a chance that personal information is still on the machines and retrievable I would be seriously pissed off, well, if I owned a 360 I would anyway.

It was a replacement one from gamestop after i had trouble getting my first one repaired. I was stupid at the time and didn't ask for an exchange receipt. When it RROD, I had got to the point were i was sick of the build quality and wasn't prepared to go through that repair process again. I had got mixed reports from MS on the status of my warranty. I had also got a decent gaming pc by that stage aswell so the xbox was only in use for Mass Effect (wasn't available on pc then)

I rang MS today and seemed to get a different centre. I explained what happen to the agent and he transferred me to his team leader. The team leader apologised for my cc details not being deleted but explained that the account had a violation put against it. Basically the account was reduced to silver, can't buy points with prepaid/credit card, can't subscribe, can't communicate via voice or text and can basically only show an online presence and get achievements.

Advertisement