Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something happen around Finglas/Blanch?

Options
  • 22-10-2008 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Police all over the place, searching every car...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

lots of police around the city centre today too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

That was probably more to do with the students protesting I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lots of police around the city centre today too

er.

here's why

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055404144

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Did we get an influx of these "Police" today? Always thought we had An Garda Síochána.

BTW sorry in advance for being petty.

On the matter, loads of Guards around last night in Dublin 8 from about 1am onwards, one went flying down my road, Guards are over the place today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Must have found something to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Did we get an influx of these "Police" today? Always thought we had An Garda Síochána.

BTW sorry in advance for being petty.
    I'm with you Gavin! I cannot understand how people can refer to the Gardai as 'police'. It just sounds so wrong! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm with you Gavin! I cannot understand how people can refer to the Gardai as 'police'. It just sounds so wrong! :eek:

High five! Ye I always (no matter who it is) pick people up on it, remember catching my English teacher the other day on it, felt so good.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I cant believe how people can care so much while speaking a foreign language in the first place. Why not use all Irish words in your sentence instead of just the one :eek:

Either way, they themselves seem to think they are a police force. http://www.garda.ie/ "Ireland's National Police Force"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why not use all Irish words in your sentence instead of just the one :eek:
    Would you refer to your local TD as an 'MP'?

Would you refer to An Taoiseach as 'The Prime Minister'?

Stekelly wrote:
    Either way, they themselves seem to think they are a police force. http://www.garda.ie/ "Ireland's National Police Force"
    Yes, they are a 'police force' and they 'police' (verb) but , to me, they are the 'Gardai' or, when referring to an individual, a 'Garda'.

I'm expressing a personal opinion here. I hear it all the time but I find it difficult to take it seriously when I hear people referring to a 'police car'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I find it difficult to take it seriously when I hear people referring to a 'police car'.

Me too. They're the filth. lol [joke-before I get crucified]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I drove through Finglas at about 11:30pm, didn't spot a single Garda then again Finglas is a big place plus the streets were unusually quiet in both town and the suburbs.

However i did come across 2 gardai having their own little checkpoint on Capel st, i thought thats a first for only 2 being involved and the location!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

police is what they do, we have primeminister too, no matter what people say.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

they had a super check point on the rathoath road facing the patrician college, they finished up around 10.30pm last night. they were talking to every person and flashing their torches in around the back of the car - looked like there were searching for someone.

it was a different check point then normal. i live just before the check point and i have detectives taking my reg plate, when i pulled in to the drive way.

anyhoo, they head off at about 10.30pm and the gardai 'copter came out, and it was out for most of the night.

I think something happened up in Corduff last night, i was in college at around 8pm and there were loads of sirens and gardai cars around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

It's on Operation that's been ongoing the last 6 weeks or so, Falcon or Eagle they call it I think. Have been setting up checkpoints all over the place. Find it very reassuring myself.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

podge018 wrote: »
    It's on Operation that's been ongoing the last 6 weeks or so, Falcon or Eagle they call it I think. Have been setting up checkpoints all over the place. Find it very reassuring myself.

thats cos they dont sit outside your house and their helicopter doesnt hover over your roof from 11pm to 4am.

but there has always been a check point on must tuesday/wednesday night for the last 4 years anyway, last nights was just bigger

Advertisement