Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wall insulation v re-sealing windows?

Options
  • 22-10-2008 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

hi,

in an 1994 semi d. trying to improve insulation. got attic done last year, seems to help somewhat but still not as warm as a not-that-old-surely house should be i would imagine.
    double glaze windows appear to be drafty but not sure if it's possible to re seal them as replacment is a total non runner (financially) shouldn't need to as they are not the originals so can't be that old.
    last shot then is wall insulation but i believe this is very expensive.
    i also have gaps under skirting board in some rooms - yeah, i know- damn cowboys, Ted!

in failing to get an anwser to this, is there a company whereby you can get a bloke out to look at the whole house, who is good and not too ridiculously expensive? i'm in meath.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

hi,

in an 1994 semi d. trying to improve insulation. got attic done last year, seems to help somewhat but still not as warm as a not-that-old-surely house should be i would imagine.
    double glaze windows appear to be drafty but not sure if it's possible to re seal them as replacment is a total non runner (financially) shouldn't need to as they are not the originals so can't be that old.
    last shot then is wall insulation but i believe this is very expensive.
    i also have gaps under skirting board in some rooms - yeah, i know- damn cowboys, Ted!

in failing to get an anwser to this, is there a company whereby you can get a bloke out to look at the whole house, who is good and not too ridiculously expensive? i'm in meath.

It is not difficult to seal the windows from the out side with exterior silicone.

This would help with the drafts. The gaps in the skirting can be fixed by taking them off and re skirting. Filling the gaps under skirting looks terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭wexpat girl

ok thanks for that. i'd be nervous about doing that sealing job properly myself. who would do that? windows people? insulation people? know anyone in meath area??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Why not have ago yourself?
    Go to lidl get a mastic gun and clear exterior mastic cost €4 & €2 respectively.

Put the mastic tube in the gun. No need to cut the plastic nossel.
    Apply pressure to the tube by gently pulling the trigger.
    Squeeze the mastic into the gap between the window frame and the external plaster. Gently move the gun slowly from the top of the window to the bottom. In one slow continuous movement.

Allow the mastic to dry for 5 minutes, then gently run a wet finger down on the mastic, to cleanly rub the mastic into the joint. A bowl of warm water is very usefull for wetting your finger. Use kitchen roll to clean your finger.

It may sound complicated but its very easy to do. Clear mastic will hide any mistakes you make. If you are unhappy with the finish, allow the mastic to dry fully and pull it out of the joint or "rub" excess off the frame.
    Dry mastic is easy to remove or cut with a sharp blade.

Good luck.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭WHU

Would anyone recommend before replacing the skirting, filling with the expanding foam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

No! Try clear mastic, to prevent draught.

I love foam but its hard to use - very sticky and can expand more than expected! (Had some on my thumb nail for weeks - tried everything to remove it)

Whats causing the gap between the floor and the skirting?
    Has the skirtingboard shrunk or is the floor unlevel?
    If the floor is unlevel then theres no point in removing and rehanging the skirtingboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

If you start with the worst wall and mark on the bottom of each pce of skirting and plane it to suit the floor. Do this before applying any glue(no more nails etc). The rest of the pieces will have to be planed accordingly but it does look much better than filling and trying to get a finish on an awkward gap. If the gap is too big I would not recommend this method. I would go for a small moulding or scotia strip,the type you see to cover the gaps when you lay laminate and such without removing skirting. Its easily applied and could be tacked on and a very small bead of silicone used to seal in between skirting. Its also very flexible and would adjust to any floor level.

Regards
    Builditwell

Advertisement