Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Merc Sprinter issues

Options
  • 22-10-2008 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I have previously posted a problem I had with my Mercedes Sprinter here. Since then there have been several more issues.
    Seized axle after 12 days of owning vehicle. Replaced with one from a new donor vehicle on dealer forecourt.
    Turbo Intercooler pipe blown off three times and had to be replaced.
    Defective brake caliper pins causing a rattle which had to be replaced after four months and then again after another two months.
    Radio turned on when van steered to the left and off when steered to the right. Beeping the horn could cause either action by the radio to occur. Two days to find the fault.
    Excessive wear on the near side front tyre. Garage says it from going around roundabouts.
    The van is six months old. I think the number of faults is excessive. I work and travel nationwide in this vehicle. I don't think this vehicle is anyway reliable now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I know there is now an official Mercedes solution to the Turbo Pipe blow off, rather than just a couple of extra jubilee clips, but Mercedes aren't issuing a full recall for it.

I've put out 10 new Sprinters this year, 3 have blown the Turbo pipes already. Hopefully they won't suffer as badly as your's with the rest of the issues. I think one has had problems with the radio, but that's been sorted (aftermarket stereo's fitted in MDL).

Hope you get it all sorted easily and don't have too many further dramas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mcasey

Thanks R.O.R. I'm looking for my money back now. If it was an iveco or a fiat I would take the hit. I think a Mercedes should have far better reliability. Thats what I feel I paid extra for.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Sprinters were never a hugely reliable van, would rather have the Iveco dailys any day of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Sprinters were never a hugely reliable van, would rather have the Iveco dailys any day of the week

Not if you've ever had to deal with Iveco service :eek:

Merc service is poor, but still 1000 times better than Iveco.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

I find Iveco service to be 100%, with parts actually on the shelf and not the usual merc story of it'll be here tomorrow week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

+1

we have a body-building business, and, whilst we get a lot MB's in for fit out, if we were buying, we'd buy an Iveco too.

Iveco engines currently fitted some of our equipment, including mains gen set, and plant, and all 100% reliable. Service items widely available.

Remember, Fiat/Iveco invented common rail, so they're usually a few steps ahead in the diesel tech dept........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Agree with most of the above responces. Merc vans are over priced and over rated. Ivecos and transits to me represent better value for money too.

Advertisement