Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cartridge No.???

Options
  • 22-10-2008 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Got my hands on a trap for clays recently and plan on
    bringing it out this weekend to loosen me up for the following:D

Question is have never used or gone clay shooting before was going
    to use a number 8.

Any advice??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

moose112 wrote: »
    Got my hands on a trap for clays recently and plan on
    bringing it out this weekend to loosen me up for the following:D

Question is have never used or gone clay shooting before was going
    to use a number 8.

Any advice??

I use a 7.5 or 8, mostly 7.5's 28 Gram used 24gram but they made no difference, and most shooting grounds use 7.5 28gram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

Ya

7.5 28gram should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Lovely cheers guys

Probably a stupid but think i heard it mentioned that you can buy bio-degradable clays or are all clays bio-degradable?

Gonna be shooting on friends land and dont fancy spending hours picking
    them up.

What kind of price should i expect to pay??

Cheers guys.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Lovely cheers guys

Probably a stupid but think i heard it mentioned that you can buy bio-degradable clays or are all clays bio-degradable?

them up.

What kind of price should i expect to pay??

Cheers guys.

Just dont miss any ;):rolleyes: - ya can pick up the ones ya missed and usually launch them again, they hardly ever break, when your picking up the non- broken ones, just stand on the pieces you see of the broken ones and that will break them up even more into the ground, thats all me and my cousin does,

I pay around 15 euro for 150 clays - that remimds me im out of them! :eek:

graememk wrote: »
    Just dont miss any ;):rolleyes: - ya can pick up the ones ya missed and usually launch them again, they hardly ever break, when your picking up the non- broken ones, just stand on the pieces you see of the broken ones and that will break them up even more into the ground, thats all me and my cousin does,

I pay around 15 euro for 150 clays - that remimds me im out of them! :eek:

I do the same thing - for practice I use my grandmothers field and she been ok with it, Pick up the big bits and the unblasted ones -

Even the WHITE FLYER BIO clays that your talking about looking for (Havent seen then anywhere in a long time) still take up to 2 years to break down by then if its farm land it will either be plowed or they will sink in to the ground a bit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

them up.

I use 7.5's 28gr, you will have to pick up the wads though.....

Trojan911 wrote: »
    I use 7.5's 28gr, you will have to pick up the wads though.....

Ya important point Trojan911 cattle and the wads dont agree, you can pick up cardboard wad cartridges to be safe, must admit if your launcher is firing the same way all the time.. the wads fall around the same place picked up 90% of mine last time out

Havent seen any cattle friendly wad shells anywhere, anyone have brands that they know of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

7.5 and 28g have tried 24g and shot the same scores as normal, Lads I shoot with thought I was nuts trying the 24g

Cheers guys,

Thanks for replys guys. Got four boxs yesterday for forthy euro and friends dad said we can shoot up in there quarry so no cleaning up:D happy days.

Cheers guys,

Thanks for replys guys. Got four boxs yesterday for forthy euro and friends dad said we can shoot up in there quarry so no cleaning up:D happy days.

What brand did you get for €40 for 4 boxes??? In Kerry I pay €6 to €6.70 for Eley Trap and I buy them by the slab it less

Glad you got a place to shoot - happy shooting but look out for cheaper cartridges, Hope you dust them all :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

7.5 and 28g have tried 24g and shot the same scores as normal, Lads I shoot with thought I was nuts trying the 24g

You should try the low noise 21g - then they'll really think you're nuts:eek:

Cheers guys,

10euro per box seems fairly expensive.:eek: I got 250 Eley Trap a few weeks ago and they worked out at 5.40euro a box.
    As lead has become more expensive lately they have probably gone up a bit in price but do shop around as a box wont go to far when your shooting clays for an hour or so.

Happy shooting:)

Callow Man wrote: »
    I got 250 Eley Trap a few weeks ago and they worked out at 5.40euro a box.:)

Were they Eley Olympic Trap - the blue box?
    If so even €5.40 (€216 / 1,000) is dear. You should be paying no more than €180 - €4.50 per box.

sorry guys didnt make it clear got four boxs of clays for 40 euro reckon i got got a good deal.
    guy i bought them off would only take cash;)

that should explain all

Now 4 boxes of clays for 40euro is a pretty good price normaly cost 14 to 15euro a box. Did you open them to make sure they were'nt broken?:p

Were they Eley Olympic Trap - the blue box?
    If so even €5.40 (€216 / 1,000) is dear. You should be paying no more than €180 - €4.50 per box.

Pullandbang they are the ones in the blue box(Eley Trap). Still not bad at 5.40 as vodooo claimed in his post above that he paid 6.70 for the same ones.
    I probably would get them cheaper if I bought 1 or 2 thousand but usually only buy 250 at a time and a couple of boxes of clays.
    A friend of mine bought a cheaper brand of cartage(not sure of the make) for about 4.50 a box but an average of 1 or 2 cartages in every box had either lead and no gunpowder or visa versa.
    Never had any issues with Eley.

Callow Man wrote: »
    Pullandbang they are the ones in the blue box(Eley Trap). Still not bad at 5.40 as vodooo claimed in his post above that he paid 6.70 for the same ones.
    I probably would get them cheaper if I bought 1 or 2 thousand but usually only buy 250 at a time and a couple of boxes of clays.
    A friend of mine bought a cheaper brand of cartage(not sure of the make) for about 4.50 a box but an average of 1 or 2 cartages in every box had either lead and no gunpowder or visa versa.
    Never had any issues with Eley.

Yup you will pay 6.70 for them buying a box of 25 at a time -If I buy them by the slab its 6 euro or less! I like Eley and the CCI Claybuster ones got some lyalvale ones that really dirty up the barrels and they are more expensive nearly 8 euro a box

Question people - Can we in Ireland buy cartridges mail order anywhere?

Voodoo2 wrote: »

Wouldn't think so and the freight (heavy boxes) would probably kill any price difference.

Wouldn't think so and the freight (heavy boxes) would probably kill any price difference.

I bought 1000 Eley Olympic Trap at a sale from a shop near me - Worked out at €5.50 a box 7.5 28gram

Just wonder if shipping we could save more? Do you know of any where that ships?

€5.50 works out at €220 per 1,000 - that's still too much. You should pay no more than €180 - €4.50 per box. Bloody things are dear enough without getting screwed. I was rooting in my gun room at the weekend and I found a slab of cartridges that I paid €130 per 1,000 for a few years ago. They are the red Diana but they're €180 now.

In relation to shipping cartridges from abroad, I'd say the problem would be getting a carrier to ship them. They get all funny about expolsives and such like.

Even if they would carry them the freight would be prohibitive. I'd say you're looking at €15 - €20 per slab of 250 to ship DHL or TNT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    Yup you will pay 6.70 for them buying a box of 25 at a time -If I buy them by the slab its 6 euro or less! I like Eley and the CCI Claybuster ones got some lyalvale ones that really dirty up the barrels and they are more expensive nearly 8 euro a box

As far as I know Duffy's from Galway does postorder or courrier at least used to. Give him a call. He'll have to see original licences first though so you'll have to call in or send it by post.

Advertisement