Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meds bringing me down

Options
  • 22-10-2008 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this, or anyone has any advice:

I am on steroid medication for Crohns Disease, and one of the side effects of steroids can be mood swings, and this is where my problem lies,

I am naturally a very level headed guy, always have been, but also had a nasty habit of ignoring bad stuff or not really reacting to it the way I should, an example being when i was diagnosed with my illness, I took it with a pinch of salt, knowing full well that it could be a serious problem for me, I have dealt with other stuff, like the death of a friend, in the same way, initially it hits me, but im over it very quickly in that I always keep positive,

The medication I am on however has completely destroyed that barrier I can throw up to stop me getting depressed, I get down about the slightest of things and even more that I am having issues with stuff that happened ages ago, Its like I just lose control of my emotions completely, I am getting anxiety attacks, I lose my temper at the drop of a hat, my moods can swing wildly in the space of a couple of hours.

I guess is there anyone out there who has dealt with this before? I just keep getting these attacks and its really starting to become an issue, I'm not looking for advice on the meds, just any advice from people who may have with a similar issue before,

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I am going to move this to the long term illness forum where you will get better replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi,
    it sounds like you need to talk to someone close to you like a family member or a partner if you have one. you shouldnt have to deal with this by yourself. I myself suffer from anxiety and it does make me feel like the world is crashing down on top of me. worst thing you can do is shut yourself in or get stressed as this will not do anything to benefit you.
    i would urge you to seek professional help - there s no shame in it and it might help you to deal with some of your past experiences. losing a friend is like losing a family member you grow to love this person and for them to not be around anymore can be heart breaking

please talk my advice and talk to someone - it can only do good - people care about you you just have to make the first move and seek help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm sorry that I have nothing very constructive to add here except to tell you that you are not alone in suffering this side effect of steroid use. I was on steroids for a time and found the mood swings intolerable. Like yourself I was a very even tempered person normally. However on steroids I swung between emotional extremes that I'd never manage off my own bat!One moment I'd be in marvelous form, talking too much, bounding with energy and being WAY more enthusiastic than I'd ever be normally, next minute I'd be crying and utterly despairing because someone had said the slightest little thing to me.

It sounds like you have alot to deal with atm so feeling down might be a completely natural response to your general situation right now. The steroids you're taking may be exagerating all your feelings though. I would say be very gentle with yourself right now. Expect to feel not quite yourself and look for as much support as possible. Talk to your doctor if you feel the steroid use is really affecting you emotionally as it is a common enough side effect.You should talk to someone about finding ways to deal with your emotions other than sweeping them under the carpet. They never stay under the carpet for as long as you'd like them too in my experience. There are other way:)

Good luck and hope you feel better soon :)

Advertisement