Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Suet

Options
  • 22-10-2008 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Anyone know where i could get beef suet? The proper stuff.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Has the Atora brand gone vegetarian these days? You can get it in Tesco and all main supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭niamh86

Was in tesco tonight and didnt see it which is why i asked.

Could have been hiding from me. Ill have another look tomorrow.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

They do seam to have a veg alternative and one is have seen around more

image.php?productid=18708

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Sorry to bump this, but there's no point in starting a new thread. Is this stuff in the fridge section or what? I haven't seen any in tescos or dunnes. Failing my local supermarkets it's gonna be the butchers for the real deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I recognise the packaging. You might find it with the home baking, flour, lentils, cous cous, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I recognise the packaging. You might find it with the home baking, flour, lentils, cous cous, etc?
    Yes, it's usually in the 'home baking' section in my experience, Atora is the only make I know of. It's shredded and dried so doesn't need to be refrigerated or anything. You may have to look around a bit to find anyone stocking the real McCoy, as opposed to the trendier, "we'll all die if we eat a gram of saturated fat" version though.

A good butcher might stock the dried stuff as well, and if not, might be able to get hold of some of the fresh stuff. It'll probably come in a big lump though, so you'd have to mince/shred it yourself, and I'm not sure about how long it keeps either.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Isn't suet the fat around kidneys? Any butcher should be able to give you a lump of that for nothing surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tesco's do sell blocks of lard in the fridge near the butter and margarine.
    Not quite the same but I imagine it would be closer to the real thing than vegie suet.

Any decent butcher would be happy to provide you with suet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was in Superquinn (small one) in Ranelagh today and they had a few packets of the Atora stuff near the flour and those Odlum quick bread things.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bidd

I haven't been able to get the Atora "Beef" suet for years. Ever since mad cow disease when certain products were recalled, never to be seen again :(

Dumplings are just not the same with the Veg Suet.

I checked the Atora site and they are still making the Beef Suet :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Isn't suet the fat around kidneys? Any butcher should be able to give you a lump of that for nothing surely?

It is and I think this is what the OP is talking about. You'll get lamb suet fairly handy but beef is harder to come by as it normally removed in the slaughter house, flattened and used/sold to meat factories for wrapping around larger joints. I actually saw some cuts of Sirloin roast in Dunnes done like this.

If the butcher has it he'll give it to you for nothing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

If the butcher has it he'll give it to you for nothing alright.

agree with this, my mother always gets some when she is buying beef and it makes the nicest roast potatoes ever, nothing like the taste of it. :) no charge either

Advertisement