Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Republic - 'A failed political entity' ?

Options
  • 22-10-2008 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

I will start this thread with an extract from a smug piece carried in the Irish Independent of 31st March, 2007...how quickly things have changed again!!

'Swaggering Unionists used to aim the sort of smug jokes that self-satisfied Southerners now make about the North. As the train approached Dublin, smart-alecks in blazers would mimic an airline pilot: "We are now landing in Dublin, please turn your watches back 50 years."

At the beginning of the Troubles, the business class in the Republic found it difficult to refute Unionists' declarations that if there was a united Ireland, then Northern businessmen would be running it in a few years. And when Charles Haughey dismissed Northern Ireland as a "failed political entity", Unionists responded that the Republic was a "failed economic entity". No-one in Dublin could convincingly rebut the taunt.
    These days Southern registered Mercs are parked like executive jets around Belfast's discreet hotels. Inside Euro multi-millionaires pore over an investment opportunity offered by a British passport-carrying local entrepreneur who is anxious for approval'.

Wither the Republic now after the fiasco of the budget, preceeded by numerous political scandals and waste on a monumental scale? The family silver (Aer Lingus, Great Southern Hotels, Eircom etc.) already plundered and nothing much left in the cupboard ...any buyers for CIE..ha, bloody ha, ha!!

A procession of Fianna Fail crooks - Ray Burke, Liam Lawlor, Sean Doherty, P.Flynn, Charles Haughey, Bertie Ahern and Albert Reynolds and Charlie Macreevy have brought the country to its knees! They embraced and destroyed the PDs (and good riddance) but now they are well on their way to giving the kiss of death to the Greens.

The waste of money on e Voting machines, Tribunals, increased pay for TDs, the HSE etc.etc.is all mind boggling. The less than useless Opposition trying to make political capital out of the present mess is particularly sickening as if they were in power the country would be in an even worse mess. Who can ever forget the bad old days of Ritchie 'Ruin' Ryan FG Minister for Hardship? FG are so miserable they wouldn't spend Christmas.

Anybody got any ideas before we all take to the barricades? :mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Politics has actually taken off in the last two weeks.

People on different sides disagree and have rows.

The Leinster house cosy cartel has been broken up.

Government fecks up, opposition throws a spazzo.

That's what we've been missing. Politics and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Yes this so called state is a pathetic failed entity,a state that only consists of 26 counties when there are 32 counties,and when the dowtrodden nationalist catholic people of the occupied 6 counties were being burned out of their homes by Brit army,RUC,Loyalist pograms and British state sponsered paramilitaries and were interned for other reason then being catholic and Irish,While this so called state down here with their so called 'Irish Army' sat and watched,with no intension of helping their fellow Irishmen,and certainly having no intension of reunited their divided country,They have through the decades watched while the Irish language has virtually disappereared,leaving us with little culture and national prideSo on a national level,yes the 'republic'(disgrace calling it that really) is very much a failed entityOn a social level were do I start,rich people getting treated like kings while the working classes live in ghettoised urban sprawl,horrific inhumane medical system,terrible law enforcement on crime,etc etc etcNever thought Id agree with Unionists

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

Irlbo wrote: »
    Yes this so called state is a pathetic failed entity,a state that only consists of 26 counties when there are 32 counties,and when the dowtrodden nationalist catholic people of the occupied 6 counties were being burned out of their homes by Brit army,RUC,Loyalist pograms and British state sponsered paramilitaries and were interned for other reason then being catholic and Irish,While this so called state down here with their so called 'Irish Army' sat and watched,with no intension of helping their fellow Irishmen,and certainly having no intension of reunited their divided country,They have through the decades watched while the Irish language has virtually disappereared,leaving us with little culture and national prideSo on a national level,yes the 'republic'(disgrace calling it that really) is very much a failed entityOn a social level were do I start,rich people getting treated like kings while the working classes live in ghettoised urban sprawl,horrific inhumane medical system,terrible law enforcement on crime,etc etc etcNever thought Id agree with Unionists

I think you will find that the "6 counties" are not part of the republic at the current moment so in the context of this thread they are irrelevant. The republic hasnt failed its still a relatively young state that has struggled to cope with the economic success of the past 20 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the irish republic has not failed-it has done more for its people than most countrys-i know that a lot of people from the uk would take out a irish passport if they could-a lot of things are now happening now the church are no running things--do any of you know that over 60,000 people with UK passports are now calling it home?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A failed political entity would be one that didn't nor can't sustain a stable government or that couldn't maintain public order - think Zimbabwe or Afghanistan.

We've had a good succession of stable governments. Even if a Government does collapse, we usually do a good job of replacing them quickly and without violence.

• Advertisement

To a West-Brit,unpatriotic person who in my opinion dosent deserve the title of Irish they would call the 26 county state a republic and the 6 counties Northern Ireland,to someone who is a patriot and recognised every county in their country as being a unit,failing to see partition and borders,they wouldnt regard it a'republic' certainly not in the vein are forefathers would have seen a republic

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm very patriotic. I love the Republic of Ireland.

"Ireland" is not a country. It's an island. Failing to recognise the Republic as a country is deeply unpatriotic. Possibly treason too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

To a West-Brit,unpatriotic person who in my opinion dosent deserve the title of Irish they would call the 26 county state a republic and the 6 counties Northern Ireland,to someone who is a patriot and recognised every county in their country as being a unit,failing to see partition and borders,they wouldnt regard it a'republic' certainly not in the vein are forefathers would have seen a republic

The punctuation was about the best thing in this post.

Back on topic, I've always seen the Irish government as a prime example as to why democracy DOESN'T Work. You spend the money satistying the buisnesses and fat-cats while the poor have to struggle. Not entirely sure that's what "our (not 'are') forefathers" would have seen ut that way.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The Republic of Ireland Act, 1948

2.—It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland.

i'm only stating fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

you spend the money satisfying the businesses and fat-cats while the poor have to struggle.

our forefathers were hardly communists. Satisfying business not a bad idea, if those businesses are sustainable wealth creators - unlike property developers. That is how we emply people and pay for the 'poor'.

the problem with Ireland is that we have too many sacred cows ( rich pensioners etc.), and too many cartels - the law, medicine etc. business we need more of.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

Back on topic, I've always seen the Irish government as a prime example as to why democracy DOESN'T Work. You spend the money satistying the buisnesses and fat-cats while the poor have to struggle. Not entirely sure that's what "our (not 'are') forefathers" would have seen ut that way.

true could be argued we arent really a democracy either seeing as some people can vote for the seanad while majority cant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

As somebody who escaped these shores in the 80s for employment elsewhere, I would say that YES this State certainly was a failed Political entity up until about twelve to fifteen years ago, and its still not perfect, but its getting there . . . .

Many people in the South may have patted themselves on the back & felt financially smug until quite recently, but Irelands financial position (like any Country) is 'Cyclic' just like back in the 80s when there were queues going Up North for cheap petrol & cheap shopping in the likes of M&S, B&Q, or C&A, but now we have all the best of the Hight Street shops here with cheaper petrol too . . . (admittedly with higher Hight St prices that the UK) :)

Politically I think the Dail is ‘flat’ & lacking punch, take the current Faux Pas revolving around Pensions – Who’s leading the Opposition? & where are the oppositions teeth? If this happened in Westminster Brown would be on his last legs, or out on his arse with Cameron banging on the door of No:10 (Just like Parky said on the Late Late last Saturday) to which he received massive applause from the audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

I don't think it is an example of why democracy doesn't work, i think it is an example of democracy gone mad.

you can not please all the people all the time, yet in ireland the government tries to.

Tribunals for this, public consultation for that...it is never ending. Jesus, this country spends more time talking about building a road than it takes to actually build it.

we'll bring in legislation..oops, people don't like it so we'll change it a bit...then a bit more, now everyone is happy.

I would say that YES this State certainly was a failed Political entity up until about twelve to fifteen years ago, and its still not perfect, but its getting there .

you might argue that the two are intertwined - but a failed economic entity is not the same as a failed political entity ( not that Ireland really failed either). There was no chanve of revolution, no huge group dissatisfied with the State and wishing it's destruction or takeover by another ( like Catholics in the North), no political violence. and so on.

Maybe the sh*t school I had to attend because my parents couldnt afford to send me private has my punctuation bad,in this two tier society we live in,And dont quote me any acts written by this state,I dont recognise a state that dosent adknowledge a 32 county sovreign republicTreachery,dont make me laugh talking about treachery,any government that sits there while their Brethren who they dont adknowledge as citizens are being treated like dogs in their own country by a foreign power and its lackies,Dail Eireann,the Senead,The Gardai and anyone in the 26 county establishment are the biggest traitors and greedy fat cats

Maybe the sh*t school I had to attend because my parents couldnt afford to send me private

very few people go private in Ireland. Most of us who haven't can use full stops.

Still there were a few commas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Ok, 'fess up folks ...

Who left the door to the room holding all the chuckies in it unlocked?

Honestly Irlbo, you and your ilk are like a tired f*cking record that's stuck in a time-warp and unable to actually move forward with your lives. Or are perhaps afraid to move forward with your lives since the only thing you know and underestand is hate and bile You offer nothing in reconciliation to anyone. In order for both sides to forgive, both sides have to walk forward and away from the past. Both sides are guilty of some truly repugnant and vile acts, and both sides have some truly vile scum standing in their ranks. Blaming everything on one side does nothing except create more hate. More bile.

You, and every other one of your ilk from both side of the equation are an embarassment to this island such is the absolute dellusion in which you wrap yourselves.

Maybe the sh*t school I had to attend because my parents couldnt afford to send me private has my punctuation bad,in this two tier society we live in,And dont quote me any acts written by this state,I dont recognise a state that dosent adknowledge a 32 county sovreign republicTreachery,dont make me laugh talking about treachery,any government that sits there while their Brethren who they dont adknowledge as citizens are being treated like dogs in their own country by a foreign power and its lackies,Dail Eireann,the Senead,The Gardai and anyone in the 26 county establishment are the biggest traitors and greedy fat cats

dont acknowledge?!?!!

read articles two and three of the constitution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

podge79 wrote: »
    read articles two and three of the constitution

podge79 he didnt go to private school, so he obviously cant read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I would'nt call the republic a failed entity. It's gives the citizens of this country a voice in how its run which is its greatest triumph over other political systems.

obviously its not a perfect system but every political system has its problems. the problem with our government now is that they are not willing to make the difficult decisions and stick with them.

weve also had to deal with corrupt politicians but that isn't really the fault of the Republic but more the flaws of individuals who care more about themselves than the people they are suppoesed to be serving.

• Advertisement

Ah, so you're uneducated..? Would never have guessed. And you missed the bit about "feeding from scraps from the Unionist table".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If Unionists had a chance running NI by themselves without any subvention from the British govt, NI would be a worst place economically than the 'south'.

So they cannot proclaim as in OP post that they are more advanced 'by 50yrs', they are solely dependent on a foreign govt for their lifestyle and would be the new Albania if that was withdrawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

gurramok wrote: »
    If Unionists had a chance running NI by themselves without any subvention from the British govt, NI would be a worst place economically than the 'south'.

So they cannot proclaim as in OP post that they are more advanced 'by 50yrs', they are solely dependent on a foreign govt for their lifestyle and would be the new Albania if that was withdrawn.

In this context the British Government is not a 'Foreign Government' . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Ireland is just a banana republic. An immorally and badly ruled small country. Where else in the world would members of a country's parliament get away with what TD's get away with? Is there another country in the world where 5% of the people own 95% of the wealth? Is there another country in the world where a government is so blatantly influenced by a golden circle of Fat Cats who contribute nothing to the republic and just bleed it dry? The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. And sure why wouldn't they screw the country over when the working and middle classes constantly let them away with it.

Telling me to read the constitution?what constitution,why would the contents of a document amended by a government I dont care or recognise interest me,besides I dont give a sh*t about laws especially ones that strenghten partition,And in regards the argument 'one side blaming the other',I never once mentioned another side,Im talking about my own so called Irishmen,who are representing a 'republic' that doesnt include the 6 counties up North,and do everything in their power to stop anyone who strive for an all Ireland republicAnd your wrong,Im not stuck in a time wrap,Im as progressive as yourself or the next person,but I hold republican beliefs,I find them valid no matter what age we're living in,Maybe your right,maybe talk of the national question is abit dated in regards todays society,but sure look at the way this current government treats its most at risk like dirt,try living in a flat block in the city centre for afew years,see if you still thinks this is a successful 'republic'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb ...

rhubarb

rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb

Spare us the absolute drivel already.

I didn't realise that stopping people "striving for an all-Ireland republic" by commiting acts of wanton murder was a bad thing to do. The only thing such people strive for is to be "big men" since they're so pathetic that they'd be nobodies in their communities otherwise. As for claims of being progressive? What? Migrating from home-made fertiliser bombs to Semtex in your base lust to murder people is hardly what one would consider progressive ...

How f*cking dare you and the scum f*cking vermin with whom you associate DARE to speak on behalf of me or anyone else for this island. Who appointed you and the scum f*cking excrement vermin with whom you associate as judge, jury and executioner? You have brought nothing but shame to this country and its identity. Nothing but 35-odd years of death and misery, and all for nothing but self-agrandisement.

Telling me to read the constitution?what constitution,why would the contents of a document amended by a government I dont care or recognise interest me,besides I dont give a sh*t about laws especially ones that strenghten partition,And in regards the argument 'one side blaming the other',I never once mentioned another side,Im talking about my own so called Irishmen,who are representing a 'republic' that doesnt include the 6 counties up North,and do everything in their power to stop anyone who strive for an all Ireland republicAnd your wrong,Im not stuck in a time wrap,Im as progressive as yourself or the next person,but I hold republican beliefs,I find them valid no matter what age we're living in,Maybe your right,maybe talk of the national question is abit dated in regards todays society,but sure look at the way this current government treats its most at risk like dirt,try living in a flat block in the city centre for afew years,see if you still thinks this is a successful 'republic'

If the people 'representing a republic' are anywhere near as illiterate and uneducated as you are, they are NOT representing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

This thread is the very reason I respond to virtually no NI threads anymore :rolleyes:

Who said we're representing you?So during the 70s and 80s when northern nationalist cathloics were being forced from the homes they were in born in,and victim of state sponsered murder and intimidation with nobody to turn to,while the government of 'Irish Republic' turned their backs on them,more worried about foreign investment then fellow Irish citizens being burned out there home by loyalist death squadsThe IRA was and is a guerrilla army,its goals are admirable but its methods areant,war is war,it isnt pretty,the only campaign sustainable to have an impact and be effective was a guerilla campaign against the British armed forcesa,its establishment and its interests,the IRA didnt plan or go out of the way to slaughter innocents but in war thats to be expected and its regrettable but what do you do,just leave things as they are and not put up any fight to British imperealism,The fact is I accept you are upset and geniunely appaled at the murder of innocents,but Im sure most of you are just plain cowards who care more about the contents of their pockets other then doing something for their country and their brethren,shame on you

• Advertisement

Who said we're representing you?So during the 70s and 80s when northern nationalist cathloics were being forced from the homes they were in born in,and victim of state sponsered murder and intimidation with nobody to turn to,while the government of 'Irish Republic' turned their backs on them,more worried about foreign investment then fellow Irish citizens being burned out there home by loyalist death squadsThe IRA was and is a guerrilla army,its goals are admirable but its methods areant,war is war,it isnt pretty,the only campaign sustainable to have an impact and be effective was a guerilla campaign against the British armed forcesa,its establishment and its interests,the IRA didnt plan or go out of the way to slaughter innocents but in war thats to be expected and its regrettable but what do you do,just leave things as they are and not put up any fight to British imperealism,The fact is I accept you are upset and geniunely appaled at the murder of innocents,but Im sure most of you are just plain cowards who care more about the contents of their pockets other then doing something for their country and their brethren,shame on you

I have no interest in money, believe me. I'm an artist for heaven's sake!!

If you want to do something for your "brethern", LEARN TO COMMUNICATE. The only shameful thing here is your appaling writing. I'd be ashamed to call myself "Irish" if this immature incoherant tripe was an acurate representation of communication that the "average" Irishman was capable of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement