Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT to be done on a 2002 import .... what if I dont?

Options
  • 22-10-2008 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

I AM going to get it sorted, its my first car.

How serious if I get stopped without it? Points?

It going for a service in the next two weeks, should I mention to the garage its due an NCT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Generally, the guards won't stop you to check your NCT, and it's not a huge deal if you're late with it.

BUT! There are a few things to check.

- Your insurance may require a valid NCT, and if it expires, you're not insured, which is not good.

- Apparently the guards have the power to impound cars that have no valid NCT. I've never ever heard of this actually happening, so it could just be a rumour.

Best get it done on time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Depends on the Garda who stops you/your attitude. They do appear to be getting more interested in the NCT of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Will do.

Its insured, but as you say, they could try to worm out of a claim as it has no NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If I was you I would check the lightbulbs are all working, book it in for the NCT, get them to find out what's wrong with it (if anything), then bring it to the garage to fix listed fail items, then restest. Otherwise you could end up getting lots of stuff fixed on the car which might have been fine to pass the NCT without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Apparently the guards have the power to impound cars that have no valid NCT. I've never ever heard of this actually happening, so it could just be a rumour.

Best get it done on time anyway.

The guards can and do impound cars without a valid nct, happened to a mate of mine before. Depends how long overdue it is, if its a few weeks you might get a warning but If its long overdue eg 6 months Id get it done ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

worded wrote: »
    Will do.

Its insured, but as you say, they could try to worm out of a claim as it has no NCT.

This is an urban myth. Read your policy document - I'll bet it says nothing about having to have an NCT certificate.
    It may say you have to keep the car roadworthy, this is completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Local paper is full of fines for no NCT every week. E200 seems to be the norm. No points though....yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Might as well just get it done. I've seen court cases over no NCT... fines handed out all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Generally, the guards won't stop you to check your NCT, and it's not a huge deal if you're late with it.

- Your insurance may require a valid NCT, and if it expires, you're not insured, which is not good.

Incorrect. There have been posts on this already.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement