Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was doing transition year a waste of time?

Options
  • 22-10-2008 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Our school you don't get a choice you have to do it and even if I did have the choice I probably would have done it anyway but now that I'm doing it I just feel its a waste of time and probably would have preferred to be finished school a year earlier. Is it a waste of time or in the long run is it better to do it for self esteem, maturity, subject choices etc. etc.?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

If you want to make friends, its worth it. Even if the year is horrible, you'll find yourself with more friends than you know what to do with.

For your Leaving...if you're in any way mature, depending on your TY course and school, you'd probably do better if you went to fifth year and repeated either fifth or sixth year (on the basis that 3 years is better than one!)

You come out the other end more mature though, whether you like it or not. Open up a few books for the LC if you feel like you're wasting time...it's a long 'aul maths course !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I hated it, the only thing I got of benefit was that by the time I started fifth year the good maths teacher was teaching higher level again.

I didn't enjoy it, but when I got into fifth year a saw the VAST difference in maturity between TY and non TY students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

waste of time for me but I don't think you should be allowed to go straight from 3rd to 5th year for the benefit of the pupil. Everyones different but I think in terms of maturity its important and theres no rush to finish school as early as possible. I do however think that they should change the system so that you at least start your leaving cert course in 4th year, so that you have most of it finished by the start of 6th year. Then you can focus on revision/exam questions and it would get rid of most of the stress leaving certers go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I do however think that they should change the system so that you at least start your leaving cert course in 4th year, so that you have most of it finished by the start of 6th year. Then you can focus on revision/exam questions and it would get rid of most of the stress leaving certers go through.

Then the whole point of TY would be wasted. The point is that you're doing something different and learning new things, not doing the LC course and on the treadmill of homework/revision/exams/points race etc etc. It would be impossible to implement anyway with TY students (especially in schools where it isn't compulsory so there is only 1 class) to teach all the subjects outside of the core subjects at LC level. Students are likely to have a huge range of subjects chosen between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

have to say i loved it and i would do it again.
    made such great friends. out year as a group became so much closer.
    felt i changed a hell of a lot during it, the bitchiness and judgementalness in my year disappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,682 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Long answer "yes" with an "if.
    Short answer "no" with a "but"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

TBH I didn't really enjoy it at the time, but if I had to go back and choose wether to do it or not, i do it in a heartbeat.

Prior to transition year, i absolutely hated school, and while transition year itself didnt change a huge amout, it let me feel that i fit in a little bit more, if you know what i mean.

Since TY it has just gotten better every year, and i quite like my school now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I didn't make many new friends in fourth year, I thought fifth year was way more enjoyable too. I had to do fourth year if I wanted to do honours maths though, it's just the set up in my school, they do the really vital chapters in fourth year! It's very unusual for someone to skip and be able to cope with honours maths after missing important stuff in my school.

Thought most of it was a waste of time tbh, I missed a good few days just due to not seeing the point of going in when we were doing absolutely nothing! Then again I didn't get involved in as many activities as others did, they didn't really appeal to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I'm glad I did it but I kinda have regrets as I wish I got involved in so much more activities as my school had loads of options like Media where you can work at a radio station and do a bit of broadcasting and then there were public speaking options and the old Young scientists, Model United Nations and Social Innovators. I feel that if I gave them a shot that I would benefited so much more from TY and school and I would have got to know people a lot better. However I'm in 6th year and since 5th year I've found a lot of people in my year to be more mature and more approachable tbh.

Anybody doing TY Make the most of it, Seriously!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Well work it, although I've lost nearly all concentration on study/school. Done 3 weeks work experience, 30 hours community work, loads of interesting some and projects, certs and stuff and went to Killary for 5 days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

i personally liked it , i ve got more mature in 4th year, i think i was better as a person, i was really quite and stuff before 3rd year, and i was almost like transformed in 4th yr lol, was given the opportunities for that part of me to develop.

the european trip and the outdoor activities made the whole year went closer, and drama was so much fun, the fact we made to the final of all Ireland TY drama competition was an huge achievement for us and for the school, the fashion show, and the trips..i guess its all the memories we ve all shared that made TY so special .

work experience was good also, gosh, i say i will never meet a boss who could be worse than the one i had, yet they took me for part time, i worked there for 8 months.when i look back it was bitter but good experience.

i was more mentally ready for 5th year, in terms of subjects choice, we did had a taste of what LC subjects like, and i think i ve set my mind at that stage i was gonna choose business subjects.

well, i wish we did more school work in 4th year, but yea, i ve had a good break , towards the end of 4th year, i was really so bored, we kinda looked forward to actually some school work, and i still managed to get a shock at the start of 5th yr :D that's when the good oldie boards ppl gave me all the experience and stuff, still very appreciated for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I'm glad I did it. Somehow I didn't seem to fall into the ''TY made me lazy'' category, it was quite the opposite actually. As much as loved it, it got boring towards the end so I actually wated to work by the time 5th year got around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

I certainly didn't think transition year was a waste of time, it's what you make it really. I did a couple of exchanges and volunteer work and I also got to know the people in my year a lot better. I think the year really helped me to to grow up. It was great to have some time to relax! I think if i had gone straight in to 5th year I wouldn't have bothered working straight away and I would have probably chosen the wrong subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 emo1

yes but i woud have bing not aboble for 5th year the extra year help big time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

I always thought it was worth it, really enjoyed it, made great friends and the TYs were way more mature than the 3rd years going into 5th year. Just started college and I see the benefits even more - the people who did TY are (not always, but mostly) more copped-on. Also it's great to be 18 leaving school and starting college, a friend of mine is 17 and is in a course with hundreds of people. She finds it hard to get to know people on the course cos she can't go to class parties etc. I know it doesn't seem like a big thing but being 18 does make a difference for stuff like that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 13 cuppcakes!

I did ty last year and loved it! I got loads out of it. I took part in loadsa things and made so many new friends!
    Teachers had all told us it'd be a great benefit esp in schoolwork to have done it. Definitely, there's an obv difference between tys in fifth and non tys but havin gone from an A student at jc, to a C student in fifth year I'm beginnin to think the year out of study mightn't have been for the best...
    Anyone else having this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

It's what you make of it. If you go into it with enthusiasm wanting to get involved in every activity and trip and competition and project then you will enjoy it, get to try new things and get to know other people in your year so much better. Also it's a good time to do something you always wanted to do but never had a chance to, I learned an instrument in my own time because it was something I'd always wanted to do. Also if you're a person who genuinely worked hard for the Junior Cert and is probably going to work even harder for the Leaving it's very very nice to have a break :) Even though if you do enough you'll be kept fairly busy!

If on the other hand you are being forced to do it and go into it with a negative attitude then it is probably not going to be of any value. There's no point in doing it if you don't want to take part. I know I loved it though!

jennyq wrote: »
    It's what you make of it.

+1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

cuppcakes! wrote: »
    havin gone from an A student at jc, to a C student in fifth year I'm beginnin to think the year out of study mightn't have been for the best...

It's an entirely different exam, set and marked differently.
    You shouldn't really take Junior Cert. grades as any sort of indication of grades to expect at Leaving Cert. level.

Leaving Cert is a huge jump from the Junior Cert, especially Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Yes it was, that's one year of your life gone. :pac:

Though I'm still glad I didn't do Transition Year. There would've been absolutely no benefit in me doing it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

One of the best years of school I must say.
    Between debating, presidents award, going to Lourdes
    In first year in college now and I can definitely see the benefits
    Those who say TY is a waste clearly put no effort into it
    TY is what you make it. If you believe it's gonna be a waste...then its gonna be a waste.
    Certainly was worth it for me anyway! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Do it! End of story, you will have to really try and focus for 5th year but its worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

i loved it at the time doing all the courses and what not but i regret it now because 5th year just hit me like a tonne of bricks.

i didnt do a tap of work in 4th year (we didnt get any) so its a lot harder then when the work piles up on you in 5th and you have forgotten everything from the JC.

Dubs wrote: »
    i loved it at the time doing all the courses and what not but i regret it now because 5th year just hit me like a tonne of bricks.

i didnt do a tap of work in 4th year (we didnt get any) so its a lot harder then when the work piles up on you in 5th and you have forgotten everything from the JC.

Alot of subject that I do arent at all reliant on JC stuff, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, all kinda start all over again, and most subjects leave ample time to revise things from JC, like languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Depends on your input but another factor really what your school was like at the time i am in 5th year now and did t.y and we did feck all no trips no extra stuff at all was basically 3rd year again but in saying that i did make good lot of friends that would have never had unless doing it but am also seeing the maturity aspect between T.Y 5th years and 3rd years heading straight into 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

My school doesn't offer TY. However, some schools have really good TY's than others. I'd only do it if it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I loved every second of it. Really enjoyed it and tbh, It really made everyone in the year come a little closer together as a group. Which tbh, has made 5th and 6th year so far, quite a nice time. Everyone can have a bit of craic with one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

was a waste of time in my school was mainly doing subjects that we would be doing for the leaving anyway with very little, non-leaving cert stuff

• Advertisement

was a waste of time in my school was mainly doing subjects that we would be doing for the leaving anyway with very little, non-leaving cert stuff

Doesnt the DOE speak out strongly against that?

Advertisement