Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was doing transition year a waste of time?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You do need to be fairly disciplined to get back into 5th year alright but its worth it. Some of the teachers did some LC material but at nowhere near 5th year pace. Also in some schools TY is cumpulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I went straight to fifth year after the JC. The people who did TY are shockingly immature compared to those who didn't do it. I don't why that is, maybe because they were arsing around for a year? I don't know. anyway it depends on the individual really. I'm glad I didn't do it, definitely wouldn't have been able to stick another year of school

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

In one way, I'm glad I did because I was really immature, but it's definitely not for everyone. Everyone kind of grew up during TY.
    The only thing is, I'm way too relaxed after it :P. Still can't study or even do hw 2 years later! Though I can't really blame that on ty altogether :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

No. Waste of time and really takes your eye off the ball. If you have a choice, think long and hard before you do it.

Ironically, I won TY of the Year... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Biggest waste of time ever but would do it again tomorrow if I could!
    Someone mentioned the firends aspect and Id definitely agree with them - In TY I became friends with basically everyone, fifth years been hard but TY was definitely worth it!
    In the end some things are more important than books

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The people who did TY are shockingly immature compared to those who didn't do it
    Our school said to all the parents at the info night that TY makes you more mature. Having done it I agree because the placements and the trip we did to spain really make you grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

You get out of it what you put in to it from my experience of doing it.

The devil wears prada!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

was asked by a teacher walking down the corridor the other day..was i bored now..being in 6th year after having done fourth year.as in..have i had enough.and without hesitation my answer was no. the friends i made in 4th year were far better than any i had in junior cycle and we all feel we were much more able to deal with 5th year after having completed fourth year.. fourth year is only worth while if you, yourself are prepared to put in effort. if not, you will be plain old bored.

even though....dont know what its going to be like now with these budget cuts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

It depends on
    1. The student in question
    2. The school's TY programme.

Every student is different so what works for one student might not nessesarily work for another. If a student is worn out from doing the Junior Cert, feels they are too young or immature too go into fifth year or needs to explore the paths to future careers and subjects, then TY might be an option for them.

Of course there are many factors contributing to the choices of a student considering TY but if a student is anxious to leave school as quick as possible or if the TY programme is not well planned then going straight into fifth year might be the best option.

In my school, most the year does TY and bond throughout the programme. Our TY was very benefical for me as I feel I matured and prepared myself for the career I wanted to aim for in the Leaving Cert. We did a musical, minicompany, activities and courses in ours, but there are TY courses in the country that are very plain and boring.

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 HaloThere

kateos2 wrote: »
    have to say i loved it and i would do it again.
    made such great friends. out year as a group became so much closer.
    felt i changed a hell of a lot during it, the bitchiness and judgementalness in my year disappeared.
    I have to agree our year of 70 girls became much closer and friendly!
    There are so many advantages to doing transition year
    - a chance to do Gaisce ( the presidents award)
    - do mini company and make money ( there was 24 of us and we made nearly €100 each despite recession)
    - gain in maturity
    - decide what you want to do when you leave school
    - get a chance to experience lc subjects before picking them
    - work experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

phasers wrote: »
    I hated it, the only thing I got of benefit was that by the time I started fifth year the good maths teacher was teaching higher level again.

I didn't enjoy it, but when I got into fifth year a saw the VAST difference in maturity between TY and non TY students.

that was the only reason I considered doing it :pac: but I went on with the **** maths teacher! :mad: would have liked to be older too, won't be 18 for aaaages and it's a bit of a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Dante

I loved it because my school arranged so much different stuff throughout the year to keep us interested, there was literally something new every week. I also think that an extra year in school makes you that bit more mature and wiser going into the leaving cert and college.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think the number one thing to consider before going into TY is your school's program. I still feel like my year were tricked, because the year before us did tons of stuff and we did barely anything! We gave up a list of suggestions and got yelled at, then nearly all our suggestions were taken for the next year's group... Anyway personal rant over, find out what it's like before you decide anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

The way things are going with Fee's in college Id want to get into and out of college/uni as soon as possible, therefore skipping TY year. 1 year might mean nothing to you now, but saving +-€7k when you have no money or good job lined up could mean a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

what a great year!! trips to everywhere! america france spain killary.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

except for a trip to the aran islands it was not great... with only 17 of us in the year we just became great friends and the social life was great because we had so much free time!

it made a lot of us extremely lazy and getting back into the swing of things is so hard! imo!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    The way things are going with Fee's in college Id want to get into and out of college/uni as soon as possible, therefore skipping TY year. 1 year might mean nothing to you now, but saving +-€7k when you have no money or good job lined up could mean a lot.

A year of friends VS €7k? I'd take a loan and enjoy the year. Don't wish away your youth! I realised that last week when I finished in school.

Advertisement