Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bargaining with dealerships

Options
  • 22-10-2008 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice folks. My current motor is completely clapped out and I need to think about investing in a new one asap. I do need a car for work, otherwise I would hold off until the new year to buy one. Given that any car I buy in the next few weeks will lose a huge amount of value in Jan 09, what kind of bargaining power could I expect when dealing with salesmen? I'd imagine cars aren't exactly flying off the forecourts with all the economic doom and gloom. I have already arranged a loan and will have €16k in the account to spend so I can offer a straight-up cash sale. I've seen a few cars that interest me, but what is the honest likelihood of knocking about €2k off the price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Don't think in terms of what you're getting off the price. The only figure that matters is what you pay. How much of a discount you can get is only a function of how keenly the car is priced in the first place.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd say that its very likely - delaers want to be rid of a lot of their stock. The fact that you are paying cash is a huge plus also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

First of all, I wouldn't be hung up on dealers and here's why... I personally know of someone who is selling a 05 BMW X5 for 15,000 Euro, having tried to sell it for months and no offers. He paid 49K for it two years ago. There are loads of deals going out there but you won't find them in dealerships, because they still have yet to adjust to the new market situation, and a lot of them will go to the wall before they start adjusting to the new reality...

If you are prepared to take a car at auction or privately, you will get a car for nearly nothing... Unfortunately a lot of people have deep psychological problems with buying privately, which is their loss in my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/search/BMW/X5/3.0d/200841190321106/advert

And this isn't even the vehicle I've referred to above!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Darragh29 wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/search/BMW/X5/3.0d/200841190321106/advert

And this isn't even the vehicle I've referred to above!

Take a closer look at that ad Darragh, has to be a scam

Here's the funny bit!!! Anyone watching the news tonight would have seen the news feature about more car's than ever being repo'd and cars that would be worth 30K in a showroon going for 15K-20K in an auction. The mad thing is that it is dealers that are buying these cars!!!

Anyone could go down to an auction and buy a car, but most people will only buy a car from a dealer and would never buy at an auction, even thought the car they end up buying has been bought at an auction by a dealer!

:confused::confused::confused:

Paddy is fu*kin stupid, that's my 2 cents worth!!!

Onkle wrote: »

Yeah I hear ya Onkle, to be honest, I can't really speak for that ad, I know the phone number looks like it is abroad or whatever, but I do personally know of someone selling an X5 for 15K and it is a 05 vehicle that they just have to get rid of. This is someone who has asked me to buy their hummer (I don't do BMW as folks here will know well!), but this car was bought for 50K odd less than 2 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭bf

Darragh 29 - would be interested in your friends X5 if you want to PM me details! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bennyc wrote: »

The phone number is 1 digit shy. Beware!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

bf wrote: »
    Darragh 29 - would be interested in your friends X5 if you want to PM me details! :)

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

Onkle wrote: »

That seems very Cheap???? Books @ € 36,650, a bit fishy???

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

bf wrote: »

would be interested too in the X5, PM me too, were all here to make a quick Buck, hard time & all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bennyc wrote: »

Another scam me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Was talking to a friend of mine who works in the Industry... supplies finance for garages etc.
    He said that there is massive bargaining power with garages at the moment. We all know that, but the extent he was talking about shocked the bejasus out of me.
    He mentioned that he knew of quite a few garages that have let cars go for 5/6k less than what they paid for it, just to get it off they're lot. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

jimbling wrote: »
    Was talking to a friend of mine who works in the Industry... supplies finance for garages etc.
    He said that there is massive bargaining power with garages at the moment. We all know that, but the extent he was talking about shocked the bejasus out of me.
    He mentioned that he knew of quite a few garages that have let cars go for 5/6k less than what they paid for it, just to get it off they're lot. :eek:

They have to really. On some models if they wait till the new year €5k will come off some of that stock anyway, but they'll be another 3 months out of pocket waiting for that. So now they need to shift the stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Biro wrote: »
    They have to really. On some models if they wait till the new year €5k will come off some of that stock anyway, but they'll be another 3 months out of pocket waiting for that. So now they need to shift the stock.

ya, but its not just taking a 5/6k hit on what you are trying to sell it at... its a 5/6k loss on the car. Tough times to be in car dealership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

jimbling wrote: »
    ya, but its not just taking a 5/6k hit on what you are trying to sell it at... its a 5/6k loss on the car. Tough times to be in car dealership.

I know, they're in trouble alright. Bargains to be had if you have money and no trade in! The best time to be rich is during a recession!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭sk8board

Looking for a bit of advice folks. My current motor is completely clapped out and I need to think about investing in a new one asap. I do need a car for work, otherwise I would hold off until the new year to buy one. Given that any car I buy in the next few weeks will lose a huge amount of value in Jan 09, what kind of bargaining power could I expect when dealing with salesmen? I'd imagine cars aren't exactly flying off the forecourts with all the economic doom and gloom. I have already arranged a loan and will have €16k in the account to spend so I can offer a straight-up cash sale. I've seen a few cars that interest me, but what is the honest likelihood of knocking about €2k off the price?

I got just under10% off a brand new 25k car 2 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Private is the way to go.

I have bought three cars in my 6 years off driving.

The first car I bought in 2002 was a 94 Clio with 103k miles on the clock. Paid 1600e. Great car, perfect running order, it had 6 owners on the log :eek:. lol.

I crashed it two months in after falling asleep at the wheel.

The second car I bought was another 94 Clio with 61k miles in Jan 2003. Paid 1300e. The car was a death trap. It was red with blue paint under the red coat. I was desperate for a car so I bought it. It lasted till June 2004. Just about. It died at 74k miles.

In July 2004 I bought my 99 Opel Astra for 6900e with 54k miles which is the best car ever. Just over three years on it has 126k miles on the clock and still going strong.

I was looking at Astra's in dealerships before I bought mind, and they where looking for 7500e+ with a higher mileage. I am so happy I bought second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I'm in the market for an X5 and have been looking for about 4 weeks. Up to yesterday the best discount I was able to get was 3% for cash in 2 BMW garages.

I'm watching carzone everyday and the prices for this car have comes down by about €5k in all BMW garages in the last 4 weeks.

I'd be very interested in the X5 mentioned above. I can't find a good one (or what I'm after) anywhere outside the BMW garages so far.

I'd have no problem buying from a private owner. In fact I would probably prefer it.

Advertisement