Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Woman reversed into my Car

Options
  • 22-10-2008 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I was sitting in my car just after work today. The car was off and in a parking space outside the office. A woman got into her car and just... reversed straight into me!

Luckily I had two people in the car with me... The side of my car is scratched and the passanger door doesnt open :(

Anyway, I got her information! She was pretty flustered. I ahve her name, address, car reg and phone number. She said to get a quote and phone her. She works in the office beside me (I have never seen her before though).

I am just thinking now, should I have done more? Taken more information?

And what happens now, do I head to the garage tomorrow and then phone her before committing to any work? She had an English Reg car, and someone was saying to me afterwards she might not have insurance. I'm kinda worried now.

What should my next move be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

go to your local garda station and report it so there is a record. Make sure you tell the guards she admitted liability at the scene

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You need her insurance details. Get a quote for the work and contact her, see how she reacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What should my next move be?
    As a precaution, report it to your local Garda Station as an 'accident'.

It might not seem that important now but in the event of a court case, it looks better for you.

Hopefully everything will be sorted out smoothly. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You should have got her insurance details.

With a foreign registration, I would seriously consider putting together a statement (and your passengers too) and giving it to the Garda. No need to make a compalint as such, but have it on record. For all you know she'll disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Onkle wrote: »
    go to your local garda station and report it so there is a record. Make sure you tell the guards she admitted liability at the scene

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I got her information!
    Victor wrote: »
    You should have got her insurance details
    Presumably he/she did!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Presumably he/she did!

Doesnt look like it.

I ahve her name, address, car reg and phone number. She said to get a quote and phone her.

As it's an English reg OP , you'll have to hope she is genuine and actually does work beside you because if she decides to ignore you and leg it you've no way of tracing her. The reg is useless.

OT but this is exactly my main reason for supporting people that shop others who dont register their cars. Driving a foreign reg'd car is effectivly carte blanch to do as you please as long as you are not actually caught by the gards at the time. It's all about traceability.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭firebug_guy

Stekelly wrote: »
    Doesnt look like it.

As it's an English reg OP , you'll have to hope she is genuine and actually does work beside you because if she decides to ignore you and leg it you've no way of tracing her. The reg is useless.

OT but this is exactly my main reason for supporting people that shop others who dont register their cars. Driving a foreign reg'd car is effectivly carte blanch to do as you please as long as you are not actually caught by the gards at the time. It's all about traceability.

I did not get her Insurance Details. The one reassuring thing was while we were talking, other people came out of the office and were over talking to her cause she was crying. This lead me to believe she knows people that also work in the office and she'll be back. I have both her mobile and home phone number. She rang me off her mobile so I know its legit!

I will keep ye updated!

By the way, do I go to a garage or a panel beater or both?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Anyway, I got her information! She was pretty flustered. I ahve her name, address, car reg and phone number. She said to get a quote and phone her. She works in the office beside me (I have never seen her before though).

Was she Irish? Irish address / phone number?

Call into the office and see if she really works there - make something up like you lost her phone number. If she's Irish and driving a UK reg, there's a chance the car is being driven without VRT and she might not want attention drawn to it - may make your position stronger if you mention you're thinking of reporting the accident to the Guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

go to a main dealers ie. the brand of your car.
    also, get 2 other quotes - her insurer may seek 3 quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If her car is in the office car park tomorrow then check the insurance disc for her insurance policy number and company.

I would also call your own insurance company. Tell them you are not making a claim at this time but you are concerned that because it is a foreign reg car and not sure on the situation with regards her insurance that you want the incident on record with them.

Regarding getting a quote, bring the car to a few body shops or a main dealer and get written quotes for the repair work. You decide then which one you happy to do the work, it doesn't have to be the lowest quote. The important thing is that the job is done right so that the car is back to the same condition it was in before the collision.

If there is any reluctance from the other party or she tells you she knows a place that can do it for half the price then tell here that if she prefers your insurance companies can sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bazz26 wrote: »
    If her car is in the office car park tomorrow then check the insurance disc for her insurance policy number and company.
    It's a UK reg, so it won't have an insurance disc!

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    It's a UK reg, so it won't have an insurance disc!

Good point. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

If its an english car, ring the DLVA or the other crowd in England with the Reg plate and get the insurance details from them.

You should always get insurance details regardless if your not making a claim.

You must call the Gardai to the scene of the accident otherwise if you go to the station they just swap information for you and tell you to sort it out yourselves unless someone was hurt then they get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭eagerv

Always worth keeping a cheap disposable camera in your glovebox. My last company car insurance insisted on one. Photo quality of most mobile phones not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I was sitting in my car just after work today. The car was off and in a parking space outside the office. A woman got into her car and just... reversed straight into me!

Typical!

(Sorry, had to be done)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

For any accident, never leave without the insurance details of the other driver. If they cannot provide it, you should summon the guards. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kluivert wrote: »
    If its an english car, ring the DLVA or the other crowd in England with the Reg plate and get the insurance details from them.

I'd doubt she was the owner in the uk. She most likely bought it in the uk or here so it'll be registered as exported int he uk and there wont be any details to get. Even if the export section of the V5 wasnt sent off, I doubt the last owner still has it insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭firebug_guy

Went to the dealers garage at lunch time, your man quoted me just under €2000... I think he is taking the piss...

I need a new wing, bumper and a small paint job on the door. He had the cost of Labour at €800! I am in the wrong job!

Anyway, I rang her back and she does indeed work in the office beside me, and she is willing to pay.

Should I get a quote elsewhere or just go with it from the dealer. Note: Its an 02 Punto - not an Audi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Went to the dealers garage at lunch time, your man quoted me just under €2000... I think he is taking the piss...

I need a new wing, bumper and a small paint job on the door. He had the cost of Labour at €800! I am in the wrong job!

Anyway, I rang her back and she does indeed work in the office beside me, and she is willing to pay.

Should I get a quote elsewhere or just go with it from the dealer. Note: Its an 02 Punto - not an Audi!

Thats about right, the wings on those Puntos are poxy to take off. Ya think ya have all the bolts off when ''What the sweeny is holding this **** on??''

Huge blob of sealer inbetween the A-Pillar and inner wing.

Aww good time.:)

• Advertisement

To be honest if it was me I would try and get a quote from a highly recommended independant body shop. Main dealers are by nature going to be more expensive due to their overheads, etc. Some dealers may not even have their own body shop and actually farm the work out to a local body shop in the area.

At the end of the day though get it done where you are happy to have it done but at the same time I would and I am sure you OP are not out to shaft the other person either. Hopefully there will be a happy medium for both you and the other person.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

bazz26 wrote: »
    I would try and get a quote from a highly recommended independant body shop

+1

It's russian roulette otherwise. My local FIAT/ Alfa/ Pug dealer is responsible for some of the most apalling bodywork I've ever seen...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The job could possibly cost half that amount if you go to a small independent garage.
    They charge less for the work and parts.
    I was once quoted by two places for a job - the main dealer quoted €1500, the small independent quoted €720.

In some cases the main dealer farms out the work to the small independents as a previous poster said, and then lump a premium onto it.
    Also, some independents use "replica" parts instead of the officially branded ones. They're the exact same parts but might not have the official brand of car stamp on them. The parts are still ok though.
    Then the labour charges will be less.
    I went with the independent for the job I had done and he went through the breakdown bit by bit even showing me where his costs came from. He then worked it out for the other quote and arrived at the figure they had given me.

Advertisement