Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else find hunting offensive and sick?

Options
  • 23-10-2008 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

I really don't get it. I mean, wheres the fun in hunting, and killing, a defenceless animal? Thats not sport. It boils my blood. As do people who wear fur.

It makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach. And so angry I could scream.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

if you dont like or agree with hunting then why did you look at the fourm??? seems very silly to me

just out of curiousty, do you eat meat???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Well your own signature wants support for a crime forum, that would offend anyone who have been a victim of a crime....

each to his own , it's a free country...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

I meant to change that back to hunting, in general,
    I just saw a thread and I got mad. I couldn't go look at the stuff there, I wouldn't be able to stomach it.

As to your second question, I pretty much never eat meat. Don't really like it. You can't be sure that an animal was humanely reared and slaughtered. Though when an animal is eaten, there is some use being made of its death, when an animal, such as a fox, is killed, the body is dumped. The cruelty and the waste combined is horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

As to your second question, I pretty much never eat meat. Don't really like it.

moral stance fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I don't agree with the hunting forum (I'm very much against hunting, am a Vegetarian and a Veterinary Nurse, big animal lover) but it is there and I won't go near it. If I had my way it wouldn't be there but not a lot I can do about that so I just don't look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

As to your second question, I pretty much never eat meat. Don't really like it. .
    so you do sometimes eat meat???? and fox hunting for sport i disagree with.. hunting foxes because they are farm/urban pests i do agree with and hunting for food i tottally agree with, infact, if i had a gun i would never buy meat, i would shoot all my own

passive wrote: »
    moral stance fail.

Not really, theres a world of difference between my aunts chickens and random generic bird that could have been treated/killed awfully.

Theres several galaxies between eating meat, or animal by products, and hunting down animals for fun. I could understand it if all the animal was being used- meat, bones, coat/fur/skin, fat etc. So long as it was humane. Since its not, thenI just don't get it. Why bully something so much smaller then yourself? and in such an unfair fight to- weaponised and in a group vrs alone and scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I really don't get it. I mean, wheres the fun in hunting, and killing, a defenceless animal? Thats not sport. It boils my blood. As do people who wear fur.

People who wear fur are as bad as the people who kill the animal in the first place.
    I would say there is a good reason we all have skin , otherwise the human race would be extinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

It's a free country, go ahead and scream, and while you'r at it , give a little cheer for the old age pensiomer's, thank you.

Yes it is a free country, but that doesn't excuse idiocy or making something so very wrong a fashion item. Nor does it excuse wanton cruelty or mistreatment of another living thing. People should know better, its the 21 century, we no longer live in caves, we have plenty of alternatives, so not use them?

• Advertisement

Go over and have a read about pedigree dog illnesses , then talk about cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

Not really, theres a world of difference between my aunts chickens and random generic bird that could have been treated/killed awfully.

Nope, not really. You are killing an animal for food. You think killing a middle class worker isn't as bad as killing a homeless guy simply because they had a different quality of life? It isn't really about the chicken, its about your conscience, and you sleep a bit easier at night if you think that the chicken was happy before you ate it. Its black and white. If you eat meat, you need to reconcile youself to the fact that you are ending a creatures life and consuming it to sustain your own. Personally I dont lose any sleep over it, but using human perception of animal happiness as a criteria to choose which to eat dodges the issue and is quite frankly absurd.

As to the OP, if you wouldn't think twice about swatting a fly, eating a cow or washing a spider down the drain, hunting is no different. You're killing the animal. whether it is because it had bothered you, for food, or for sport. Do you think the animal would find solace if it understood that you were going to make good use of his corpse? Of course not, you're killing him either way.
    Humans have worn fur since we were hunter gatherers. Its a natural resource, and it keeps us warm. The recent trend to humanise certain animals has lead to wave of outrage over such ridiculous issues as this. I look out for number one and my family and make no apologies for doing so. While I would never mistreat an animal I have no qualms about killing one.

Well of course the results of inter breeding are going to be cruel. Thats a cross species thing, any in-breeding will cause genetic problems over time. Esp as the gene pool gets smaller, and people get fussier about wanting their dog to be a "proper" breed and have certain traits. I couldn't care less, so long as my dogs and cats are happy, healthy, and safe. I love them to bits.

The things people do in the name of fun or perfection are shocking. Like the song goes..
    "man thinks cause he rules the world, he can do with it as he pleases, and if things don't change soon he will, for man is opposed to fair play, he wants it all and he wants it his way..................who's gonna take away his licence to kill"

marlin vs wrote: »
    It's a free country, go ahead and scream, and while you'r at it , give a little cheer for the old age pensiomer's, thank you.

Are these a new breed you want to see hunted?
    Oh, l see , same thing judging from your post.
    You obviously believe that old age won't touch you.
    Well when it does l hope you get looked after the same way the animals that you talk about did.
    When there is no funding for OAP beds and you are screaming all us animal lovers will give a little cheer.
    Actually we won't because we really are capable of Human decency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I don't agree with killing anything for sport either, it's hard enough for the poor creatures trying to survive in the wild without some w**ker taking pot shots at them too. How would the hunters like it if the tables were turned and the hunters become the hunted? Now that would be fun. I have a gun but the last thing I'd shoot is an animal tbh.

The things people do in the name of fun or perfection are shocking. Like the song goes..
    "man thinks cause he rules the world, he can do with it as he pleases, and if things don't change soon he will, for man is opposed to fair play, he wants it all and he wants it his way..................who's gonna take away his licence to kill"

Man does rule the world.
    Man can do as he pleases.

Im not quite sure I get your point. We shouldnt kill animals because its cruel? Life is cruel. Animals are useful for food and clothing, why wouldn't we kill them? There isn't any higher moral question to answer here.
    junkyard wrote: »
    I have a gun but the last thing I'd shoot is an animal tbh.

Well either you're a sociopath or you aren't entirely sure of its intended purpose.

There's room on boards.ie for all opinions, hence the separate forums that cater to the individual's interests.

Given the size of the site and the sheer amount of forums, there's a certain degree of inevitability that some forums are going to be ideologically opposed to each other.

Obviously, you are entitled to your opinion.
    However, I don't feel a rant about a forum that you don't like serves any purpose than to annoy or insult users of that forum.

Read what you wrote in you'r last post (I couldn't care less, so long as my dogs and cats are happy,) just goe's to show you'r one of those I'M ALL RIGHT JACK ---- YOU

Man does rule the world.

More like man is a virus on this planet and has done as he pleases, to hell with every other living thing.

More like man is a virus on this planet and has done as he pleases, to hell with every other living thing.

I couldn't agree more. I don't feel like I owe the earth anything. I dont owe the animal kingdom anything. I am honest about my self preservation instinct. Animals are a resource that keeps me alive. Why shouldn't I do as I please?

• Advertisement

Man does rule the world.

Im not quite sure I get your point. We shouldnt kill animals because its cruel? Life is cruel. Animals are useful for food and clothing, why wouldn't we kill them? There isn't any higher moral question to answer here.
    For food, ok, people eat meat. I'm very opposed to battery farming and the whole world of nelect and abuse that goes on there, but organic, cruelty free surroundings prior to becoming someones dinner is something I can tolerate. Killing for fashion? Thats a joke. We can make plenty of warming or cooling items of clothing without a single animal needing to be hurt or killed. Leather, comes from cows, people eat beef/steak etc, in that respect then its using a by product. Same with sheepskin. Fur however, in the form it is sold as in shops (coats etc), is something that is the only product being used, and fur farming is horrificaly cruel. Its grossly inhumane, and when there is no need for it, it really shines through as a pointless, vindictive exercise in being grotesque.

My point with the song is that man takes and takes and takes and destroys....and what for? Its Bob Dylan.

I don't agree with killing anything for sport either, it's hard enough for the poor creatures trying to survive in the wild without some w**ker taking pot shots at them too. How would the hunters like it if the tables were turned and the hunters become the hunted? Now that would be fun. I have a gun but the last thing I'd shoot is an animal tbh.

Ummmmm......ok.........I wouldn't go that far. I hope you mean you would shoot tin cans.

I have a gun but the last thing I'd shoot is an animal tbh.

The voice of reason.
    Man does rule the world.

l am a sociopath

sharpshooterH i'm at that age already, why did you think I brought us old people into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

what a goon

I couldn't agree more. I don't feel like I owe the earth anything. I dont owe the animal kingdom anything. I am honest about my self preservation instinct. Animals are a resource that keeps me alive. Why shouldn't I do as I please?

Each to their own I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

look, if the closest encounter with wildlife you've had is dublin zoo or disney you probably haven't got much of a right to criticise hunters. Most animals are very far from defenseless. Cute, fuzzy and adoreable they may be but they are still wild animals, they don't want to be your friends.

The voice of reason.

Why? Is everything a moving target in your eyes, including me by the looks of it.:rolleyes:

marlin vs wrote: »
    Read what you wrote in you'r last post (I couldn't care less, so long as my dogs and cats are happy,) just goe's to show you'r one of those I'M ALL RIGHT JACK ---- YOU

Can you repeat that in English please? You raised a point that I assume was relating to the illness caused by the in-breeding of pedigree dogs. I said that I agree that its cruel, and that I don't look for my cats/dogs to be specific designer ones, I just want healthy, happy pets irrespective of breed. I don't get the point of your retort.

what a goon
    Is that the sum total to your contribution to this thread, if it is I'd say your up way too late.;)

• Advertisement

I couldn't agree more. I don't feel like I owe the earth anything. Why shouldn't I do as I please?
    Maybe just maybe ,it's because you still have a lot of growing up to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement