Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else find hunting offensive and sick?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Mordeth wrote: »
    look, if the closest encounter with wildlife you've had is dublin zoo or disney you probably haven't got much of a right to criticise hunters. Most animals are very far from defenseless. Cute, fuzzy and adoreable they may be but they are still wild animals, they don't want to be your friends.
    No, thats not the closest encounter I've had :p,
    I know wild animals do not want to be my friend, however I think sending a group of armed people out to bait, trap and kill an animal is wrong. If one person kills an animal in self defence, its entirely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Starting a thread giving out about killing animals in the Animals & Pet Issues forum? Yep, this ain't gonna be biased at all

You don't like the forum, don't read it, seems pretty straight forward to me

orestes wrote: »
    Starting a thread giving out about killing animals in the Animals & Pet Issues forum? Yep, this ain't gonna be biased at all

You don't like the forum, don't read it, seems pretty straight forward to me
    Well I could hardly start it in the hunting forum...and it would end up moved here from anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

Maybe just maybe ,it's because you still have a lot of growing up to do.

Or maybe I'm looking at it objectively. I dont advocate animal cruelty, but if its a choice between my needs and the needs of an animal, its going to be my needs, every time. I don't see what you imply by your statement concerning my percieved immaturity, seems like you can't fault my logic so will try to attack me.

Or maybe I'm looking at it objectively. I dont advocate animal cruelty, but if its a choice between my needs and the needs of an animal, its going to be my needs, every time. I don't see what you imply by your statement concerning my percieved immaturity, seems like you can't fault my logic so will try to attack me.

Could be that we get plenty of sustainance from the earth, so treating it and our fellow species with respect should be a given. Not a "us or them" situation, but a genuine day to day "treat things fairly and right" situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Well I could hardly start it in the hunting forum...and it would end up moved here from anywhere else

Why post it at all? I don't agree with anything on the religious fora but I don't go onto the athiest forum and post a thread giving out about them. Tis just soapboxing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

Could be that we get plenty of sustainance from the earth, so treating it and our fellow species with respect should be a given. Not a "us or them" situation, but a genuine day to day "treat things fairly and right" situation.

Why? The earth isn't going to appreciate our respect, nor are animals. They aren't fellow species, they are predators and food sources. I dont see why I need to respect my food. Treat things fairly, sure, but im not going to cease eating meat out of deference to some notion that animals deserve respect and compassion.

Why post it at all?

+1 If my sentiment wasn't clear from my previous post...!

Why post it at all? I don't agree with anything on the religious fora but I don't go onto the athiest forum and post a thread giving out about them. Tis just soapboxing imo

I'm waiting to see if one of the mods here will change the thread title, I meant to change it to "hunting", by itself, but I posted it before I changed it. Which was really silly, but I can't change it now.

Not saying I don't think that its distasteful, but its quite possibly inflammatory to have it in the title, so I think it would be best if it were changed. Once its done, then this will be just an anti-hunting thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

This old chestnut.

Since man realised that a stick or stone could kill he has hunted and untill man no longer exists he will hunt.

You will find that most and certainly all the good hunters will not afflict pain on a animal. They will only kill what they want for the pot. I know plenty of hunters who will take one animal a season thats it. They may go out and practice their skills but never kill another animal the rest of the year.
    Hunting is an integeral part of life be it fishing, deer etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

I really don't get it. I mean, wheres the fun in hunting, and killing, a defenceless animal? Thats not sport. It boils my blood. As do people who wear fur.

It makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach. And so angry I could scream.
    this arguement has been done to death over the last few weeks.
    hunting? some love it, some hate it and some couldnt give a fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Properly controlled hunting is needed. Our native fauna and wildlife wouldn't survive without the culling of introduced species.

Hunting for food is good for the environment. Mass livestock farming isn't.

A quick example of which life would you prefer to lead?

A: A factory chicken bred to feed, devoid of stimuli to force it to feed out of boredom. Never ever to see daylight, feacal burns and broken bones.

B: A wild duck, great life, small chance of being shot.

Organic food with zero carbon footprint. We have been doing it since neolithic times. Back to basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's a very divisive issue. My feelings?

Hunting is fine, so long as it is for food.

Hunting for sport, especially on the pretext of vermin control (a fox population which is kept high enough to have some for hunting while at the same time decrying them as a blight to be eliminated), is bad form.

One of the side effects of hunting (speaking from personal experience) is the destruction of the birds of prey population. For example, I have seen a pheasant run, where young birds are kept until release into the wild, minded at night to keep foxes out, where owls were shot for hunting the young pheasant.

So, OP, hunting - sometimes OK, sometimes not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

lightening wrote: »
    Properly controlled hunting is needed. Our native fauna and wildlife wouldn't survive without the culling of introduced species.

Hunting for food is good for the environment. Mass livestock farming isn't.

A quick example of which life would you prefer to lead?

A: A factory chicken bred to feed, devoid of stimuli to force it to feed out of boredom. Never ever to see daylight, feacal burns and broken bones.

B: A wild duck, great life, small chance of being shot.

Organic food with zero carbon footprint. We have been doing it since neolithic times. Back to basics.

The thing is, if we still had to hunt all our food, and farming never was invented, there'd only be 100,000 of us. And they'd be the hairy ones :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

I really don't get it. I mean, wheres the fun in hunting, and killing, a defenceless animal? Thats not sport. It boils my blood. As do people who wear fur.

It makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach. And so angry I could scream.
    i hunt and i love it so i do. everything that i shoot i eat and i am not interested in the mass slaughter of birds, but the enjoyment of working my dog in the countryside, taking in all the elements and if i am lucky enough that my dog hunts up a bird it is a massive consilation to bring home and put in the pot. and rest assued i will be out hunting on the 1st of november so i will and i have been counting down the days since last year.

People very easily forget that us humans have been hunters and carnivores for thousands if not millions of years and it only in the last few years that meat such as beef and chicken has been arriving in sexy flat packed boxes into our homes tricking some people into forgeting that its an actual animal they are eating.

I was born into hunting, my kids will also hunt aswell please god.

My best advice to you is if you dont like hunting... fine, dont go over into the hunting forum.

but i would please like to ask you not to go to other forum to complain about other peoples ways and pastimes when they are completly legal and they members of the hunting forum have nothing but admiration for the countryside and wildlife. Just because we hunt doesnt mean we do not respect and admire the quarry we have chosen.

In fact i am going to report this thread as i dont think its apt for this forum, the nature and wildlife one maybe......

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

This has been done to death and basically the "fluffy animal lovers" dont like hunting and the others do.

This argument is never going to be sorted especially in the "fluffy animal lovers" forum.

I think Im going to lock this thread and start deleting every hunting thread thats opened.

Its been done to death too many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Yeah, its got to be hard for the moderators. In fairness though, there has been good debate on here before, its just the right wing extremists on both sides and stupid stupid comments made by people that makes things difficult.

Some of the hunters put an excellent points, other just say the silliest things that makes other hunters cringe so much their ears meet at the back of their heads.

Some of the anti hunt people put up a great argument. Others just sound bonkers, much to the detriment of their cause.

Lots of these debates have ended in a cautious respect and wary compromise unlike the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Hellrazer wrote: »
    This has been done to death and basically the "fluffy animal lovers" dont like hunting and the others do.

This argument is never going to be sorted especially in the "fluffy animal lovers" forum.

I think Im going to lock this thread and start deleting every hunting thread thats opened.

Its been done to death too many times.
    Broken records spring to mind.

Thread closed. Now I need sleep.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement