Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Help

Options
  • 23-10-2008 3:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

Ok so this has so many threads but i've read a lot and still cant find answers.

Bought a car in NI. The v5 exportation form has my Irish address.

Question 1 : Can I tax this in Northern Ireland?

Question 2 : If I have a NI license would customs let me go. (If so does this require having NI tax and insurance)

Question 3 : If stopped at Garda checkpoint can a Garda fine me or is it only custom officers.

Question 4 : Am I allowed to have my rear plate a white coloured NI reg instead of a yellow coloured.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

should title not read 'VRT dodging help' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Skyuser wrote: »
    Ok so this has so many threads but i've read a lot and still cant find answers.

Bought a car in NI. The v5 exportation form has my Irish address.

Question 1 : Can I tax this in Northern Ireland?

No, because you dont have a UK address.
    Question 2 : If I have a NI license would customs let me go. (If so does this require having NI tax and insurance)

No, because residency is nothing to do with where your license is from.
    Question 3 : If stopped at Garda checkpoint can a Garda fine me or is it only custom officers.

He can fine you for speeding or whatever, but he/she would have to notify Customs for VRT evasion.
    Question 4 : Am I allowed to have my rear plate a white coloured NI reg instead of a yellow coloured.

Why ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Jus pay the VRT FFS, this place is full of Tax dodgers:mad:
    This thread will be locked as soon as Peasant has his morning cup of Coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I was all set to pay it straight away until now I found out that because its an automatic its gonna cost an extra €2000. TOTAL JOKE OF A SYSTEM.

Actually what would happen if I told them at the VRT office that it was manual instead of auto?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

they would look in the window and see it was an Auto.

Do they always check the cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Actually what would happen if I told them at the VRT office that it was manual instead of auto?

You'll have to give them the VIN, and they'll check.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

whippet wrote: »
    they would look in the window and see it was an Auto.

not today they wouldn't...... (pissing rain..........they no-likey to get wet.....)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I was all set to pay it straight away until now I found out that because its an automatic its gonna cost an extra €2000. TOTAL JOKE OF A SYSTEM.

Your car must be very, very new, or very very expensive for that to be right.

Give us some info on what it is - that doesn't sound right.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

galwaytt wrote: »
    Your car must be very, very new, or very very expensive for that to be right.

Give us some info on what it is - that doesn't sound right.

The heavier fuel consumption on the auto version can bump up the Co2 rating which pushes the car into a higher VRT bracket. There might not be huge difference in fuel economy between the manual and auto but just enough to move it into a different VRT bracket.

That and the OMSP could also be increased for being an auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

All 4 questions are: "Can I break the law?"

Unfortunately not without getting into trouble:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

Do they always check the cars.

Not always but sometimes (sorry not much help), we brought some commercials in and had a wanker check everything on the list, I mean everything.

All passed though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Given the current deficit in the Exchequer you can bet your bottom dollar they will try and get every penny out of you.

Advertisement