Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on reported post

Options
  • 23-10-2008 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    If a post is reported by a user for personal abuse, should the moderator who deals with it let the reporter know the outcome of the complaint? What action was taken etc if any.

Just wondering as I reported someone for this recently but heard nothing from the moderators and no action seems to have been taken. To me calling someone stupid (and mentioning learning disabilities) is a personal insult but I have no idea if it has been dealt with or ignored. So it is still an open issue as far as I am concerned.

Don't mean this as a rant or anything..it is simply an enquiry about the process and a possible way of improving it to avoid arguments.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Are you sure no action was taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Not sure of any action taken which is why I posted here enquiring as to what should happen in general. No action seems to have been taken as the poster definitely has not been banned. And I don't want him to be to be honest. An infraction would be fair enough but I don't know if the mod simply ignored it or thought it was not worthy of anything or if anyone even looked at it. Don't want to PM all the mods of the particular forum as I don't want to bother them all when I don't know who dealt with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ludo wrote: »
    Not sure of any action taken which is why I posted here enquiring as to what should happen in general. No action seems to have been taken as the poster definitely has not been banned. And I don't want him to be to be honest. An infraction would be fair enough but I don't know if the mod simply ignored it or thought it was not worthy of anything or if anyone even looked at it. Don't want to PM all the mods of the particular forum as I don't want to bother them all when I don't know who dealt with it.

The thing is, and I'm not being rude, it's not really any of your business what happens after it's reported. You've done your bit and after that the mod has no obligation to let you know what has or hasn't been done. Given the volume of posts reported on a daily basis (indeed some posts are reported by 5 or 6 different people) it would be far too time consuming to go informing every user of the outcome.

If it was a glaringly obvious breach of the charter then I have no doubt that something was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Its this reported post(only viewable by mods).

An smod replied to the thread and his opinion was it didn't warrant any action.

gandalf wrote: »
    Its this reported post(only viewable by mods).

An smod replied to the thread and his opinion was it didn't warrant any action.

Doesn't say it didn't warrant any action.
    Anyway thanks guys...good to know that accusing someone of having a learning disability is not classed as a personal insult and will not result in a ban...must remember to use that line in future.
    Of course, seeing as I am slow of learning, I will have forgotten in five minutes and revert to my default position of not personally insulting people :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I saw the reported post. He didn't call you anything and he didn't say you had any disability.

He implied those who didn't get his point (which I saw as quite clear) were slow of learning.

It was rude yes, it was a poor post sure, but it wasn't worthy of censure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well my reading of the remark would be that it is not aimed clearly and directly at you. Its very ambiguous. If however he had said "Ludo you have a learning disability" then yes imho action would have been warranted and probably taken.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Doesn't say it didn't warrant any action.

Galdalf was referring to the reported-posts thread.

I spend a lot of time looking over reported posts and yesterday I spotted yours; compared to the cases of real personal abuse, the thread that you posted was pretty 'lite' compared to some of the other crap we get every day.

IMHO "slow learning" != "a learning disability" != "personal abuse" especially in the politics forum. The remark was aimed at everyone who didn't get his point, not just you, even if you were the only one to not get his point. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Hi,
    If a post is reported by a user for personal abuse, should the moderator who deals with it let the reporter know the outcome of the complaint? What action was taken etc if any.

No, a mod is not oblidged to do this as it would be hugely time comsuming.
    We have a reported posts forum and every single reported posted is looked at and a decision is always made on whither action will be taken or not.

I have no problem with it not being regarded as an insult...thats fine if that is the way a mod sees it. I would just have expected some reply I guess.
    Anyway..never mind..close this off..asked and answered.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Another feedback thread solved without a problem. Woohoo.

Times are a changing :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

IAnyway..never mind..close this off..asked and answered.
    Thanks.

I have a strong urge to sticky this thread so the whingers can see how a Feedback thread should work!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement