Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stinking Gloves....Help!!!!

• 23-10-2008 8:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭

Right here goes......have my winter goretex thermal gloves (Dainese Alpine) a couple of years now and they really started to pong lately, particularly after getting wet.

Now I know technically you're not supposed to wash goretex but something had to be done about it .....anyway even after 2 washes they still stink.

Normally they be launched straight into the bin and a new pair bought, but in the current economic climate I'd rather a cheap solution rather than shelling out €100-€150 for a replacement pair.

Does anyone have any good tricks or tips to de-pong-ify gloves? I know theres special detergent for goretex which the sell in Bikeworld, does this stuff work?

Cheers
    Georgey

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's a pain alright, mine stank really bad so when i got into work I had to go and wash my hands thoroughly every morning. I washed them but after a few days they were back stinking.

I got new ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Now I know technically you're not supposed to wash goretex but something had to be done about it .....anyway even after 2 washes they still stink

Of course you are allowed wash gortex! I use Nikwak on my jacket whenever I wash it to prolong the waterproofing from gortex. I have 2 different types of it, one to wash the jacket and once it is washed another one to seal it.

You should have no problem in washing your gloves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Soak them in fairly hot water with quite a bit of dissinfectent in it. After a few hours, rinse them with more hot water. They dry them on front of a fan heater/fire.

To prevent this was happening again, it's important that you thoroughly dry the gloves after they get wet and as quickly as possible. Letting them dry slowly is what causes the smell. (from a huge buildup of bacteria)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Soak them in fairly hot water with quite a bit of dissinfectent in it. After a few hours, rinse them with more hot water. They dry them on front of a fan heater/fire.

To prevent this was happening again, it's important that you thoroughly dry the gloves after they get wet and as quickly as possible. Letting them dry slowly is what causes the smell. (from a huge buildup of bacteria)

+1

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sounds like they need sanitising as well as cleaning. Ive never tried it, but you could try a disinfectant liquid (a mild 'medical' one as opposed to floor cleaner) as mentioned above. And the drying process is vital. Maybe stick a toilet roll tube into them to allow air in and prop them above a radiator or in a warm airing cupboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

cheers for the advice ..... dettol at the ready. I'll let you know the results.

The toilet roll in the glove to dry is a good trick cause they take aaaaaaaaages to dry inside fully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

a bit of lynx deodrant!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    a bit of lynx deodrant!!:p

Hey, he wants to improve how they smell, not make it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

Oryx wrote: »
    Sounds like they need sanitising as well as cleaning. Ive never tried it, but you could try a disinfectant liquid (a mild 'medical' one as opposed to floor cleaner) as mentioned above. And the drying process is vital. Maybe stick a toilet roll tube into them to allow air in and prop them above a radiator or in a warm airing cupboard.

Update...... sanitising done the other weekend. Used a large quantity of dettol, probably a bit too much, but the distinctive smell of disinfectant far outweighs the previous pong. The toilet roll trick was alos used and seemed to work.

Thanks for the advice.

As for Lynx, it'd be impossible driving down the M50 with all the women throwing themselves in front of me :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement