Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who are the worst drivers on Irish Roads?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My answer to the original question is drivers of (most) Fords and Toyotas. I give them a wide berth when I'm out on the bike, especially.

They're not bad drivers, they just haven't bothered to engage common sense when they get behind the wheel. Maybe that's why they end up with Toyotas and (most) Fords??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭blackbox

There are too many accidents in the country, so logically it must be country people who are the problem.

They are particularly bad when they get into their tractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

TN and TS closely followed by OY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

blackbox wrote: »
    There are too many accidents in the country, so logically it must be country people who are the problem.

They are particularly bad when they get into their tractors.

Good point, trouble is that in the country everybody has to drive, whether they are capable or not. Taking a driving license off an OAP that obviously cant drive is like giving them a prison sentance.

Slig wrote: »
    Taking a driving license off an OAP that obviously cant drive is like giving them a prison sentance.

Ummm... surely if you're not fit to drive safely, you shouldn't drive?? 'I had to drive, Guard. I was too drunk to walk' isn't exactly anything you would hear being uttered by anyone on this planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Toyota drivers !!!! I do a lot of driving, every time I see a Toyota you can guarentee it'll be doing 75kph in the 100zone, 75kph in the 80zone, 75kph in a 60zone, and 75kph in the 50zone. I don't know what it is about these good cars that encourages idiots to buy them, leaving the sportier toyota's aside because they're always gone regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

everybody has to drive, whether they are capable or not. Taking a driving license off an OAP that obviously cant drive is like giving them a prison sentance.

Tough.
    Then they should get some lessons before they're allowed back on the road.

What a ridiculous thing to say honestly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Turbury

So true Flier1 - CE drivers same thing- constant speed regardless of limit- through towns and villages, past schools, on the open road, on footpaths, in fields, same speed everywhere.

On the other hand some of the best drivers are women (girls) driving diesel Golfs and big diesel Audis - they take no prisoners! Although this should probably be a seperate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Turbury wrote: »
    So true Flier1 - CE drivers same thing- constant speed regardless of limit- through towns and villages, past schools, on the open road, on footpaths, in fields, same speed everywhere.
    QFT ... and why is that speed always 40mph (or the metric equivalent) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Toyota drivers !!!! I do a lot of driving, every time I see a Toyota you can guarentee it'll be doing 75kph in the 100zone, 75kph in the 80zone, 75kph in a 60zone, and 75kph in the 50zone. I don't know what it is about these good cars that encourages idiots to buy them, leaving the sportier toyota's aside because they're always gone regardless.

like beige clothing they flock to them.

However, the toyota along with the mondeo and passat are the preffered vehicle of company cars and they are, as far as boards.ie members are concerned, driven quite fast.

• Advertisement

like beige clothing they flock to them.

However, the toyota along with the mondeo and passat are the preffered vehicle of company cars and they are, as far as boards.ie members are concerned, driven quite fast.

Usually with no indicators

cantdecide wrote: »
    Usually with no indicators

I cant speak for the reps because I am a rep. I dont drive a typical rep mobile. I drive a Audi A4.

From my experience reps seem to be better than most other "professional" drivers in so much that they park legally and indicate. I dont know any reps who, like taxis, stop with their invisibilty button(hazards), like trucks who feel that they can block up a whole street because they are waiting to get into the loading bay next. Unlike van drivers who feel that they can stop anywhere because some old woman has parked in the loading bay. Unlike women bringing their fat ugly children to school think that its ok to stop in rush hour traffic outside the school and hold up the rest of us whilst the kids get out at the entrance to the school. Walking an extra 20 metres for the kids might actually be good for them.

Unlike speed freaks like the woman earlier today in the Panda who drove along at a spiffing 100kph and then when she met the 50kph locked up on the brakes and lost half her speed nearly instantly. She did not gradually slow down which frightened the pants off me even though I was at a good distance. As soon as she hit the 100kph sign she floored it.

Unlike the panicky poo who lock up on the brakes and blow the horn at a car driving down its driveway because they think it will never stop and hit the side of them and yes its usually old people except for earlier when it was a guy in a cattle truck which was btw listing dangerously to one side.

Unlike the old people who blow the horn and flash the lights at a pedestrian crossing the road in the next town.

How about the woman I saw this morning putting a big red NO PARKING HERE sticker on a car parked on the side of the street outside the dawn daries on clare street in Limerick. It was just down from the church and she was a nun heading for the church. The parking space had nothing to do with the church. She cant do this, can she? BTWcar perfectly legally parked at 8:20am this morning.

I also hate drivers who drive along with the air recirculation button on and wonder why they cannot see through their carbon dioxide building up in the inside of their cars.

because I am a rep....reps seem to be better than most

You would say that, wouldn't you:D:D:D

cantdecide wrote: »
    You would say that, wouldn't you:D:D:D

Who is a professional I wonder. :confused:

Taxi :mad:
    Van Man :mad:
    Truck Man :(
    Rep ;)
    Emergency Services(kind of exempt from the list really because they can break the rules a bit):P
    Motorbike Courier :mad:

Out of that list reps are a little better than most and dont upset people on the road as much as the rest.

Im always going to support my own group, thats for sure. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Unlike speed freaks like the woman earlier today in the Panda who drove along at a spiffing 100kph and then when she met the 50kph locked up on the brakes and lost half her speed nearly instantly. She did not gradually slow down which frightened the pants off me even though I was at a good distance. As soon as she hit the 100kph sign she floored it.

????

So someone who brakes to slow down for a speed limit zone, and speeds up afterwards is a bad driver? What were you expecting her to do, cruise through a 50 limit at 100?

Also, "locked up" does not mean what you think it means. Pandas have ABS, and won't lock up the brakes at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Who is a professional I wonder.

Taxi
    Van Man
    Truck Man
    Rep
    Emergency Services(kind of exempt from the list really because they can break the rules a bit)
    Motorbike Courier

Out of that list reps are a little better than most and dont upset people on the road as much as the rest.

Im always going to support my own group, thats for sure.

I agree 100% with this post... Us reps are fantabulous drivers

Completely disagree: the standout good drivers from that list are the truck drivers. I am not a truck driver, I couldn't drive one if I tried, but they are consistently the most courteous of all the drivers I zoom past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I would say people resident in Ireland with UK/NI plates on who know they are virtually untouchable, are unregistered here and mostly uninsured as a result. They have no respect for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Tough.
    Then they should get some lessons before they're allowed back on the road.

What a ridiculous thing to say honestly..

Giving somebody lessons that has been driving for the last 60+ years wouldn't work, especially if they have never used a rear view mirror before and cant see past the bonnet. What I'm trying to get across is that because driving is a necessity and not a privilege here there will always be bad drivers on the road

Giving somebody lessons that has been driving for the last 60+ years wouldn't work, especially if they have never used a rear view mirror before and cant see past the bonnet. What I'm trying to get across is that because driving is a necessity and not a privilege here there will always be bad drivers on the road

No, It doesn't matter where it is. It's ALWAYS a privilege.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I have a gripe with motorcyclists who drive down the wrong side of the road "overtaking" forcing oncoming traffic into the cycle lane.

Zube wrote: »
    ????

So someone who brakes to slow down for a speed limit zone, and speeds up afterwards is a bad driver? What were you expecting her to do, cruise through a 50 limit at 100?

Also, "locked up" does not mean what you think it means. Pandas have ABS, and won't lock up the brakes at all.

Sure, locked up was not correct. If you read my post correctly you would have noticed I suggested she braked dangerously heavily right at the sign. You are trained to anticipate everything on the roads. The signs are big enough and noticable enough to ammened your speed before and after the sign not put your foot to the floor right at the signpost and the same goes to the sign when entering a higher speed limit.

She is correct to adhere to the speed limits but it how she got to the speed that I am concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

Yeah!!! more generalisations!! I think that the worst drivers are people that use their front fog lights, pople that stay in the overtaking lane on a motorway and SUV drivers. Did I forget anybody?

?? :confused:Front fog lights Slig? What's the problem there? I find the inconsiderate idiots who drive around with their rear fog lights on (in perfectly clear non-foggy weather) are a real danger, it speaks volumes about their attention behind the wheel that they don't realise, for weeks usually, that they are driving around, ignorantly blinding those behind them. What do these assholes think when they look in their rear-view mirrors at the vehicles behind them in traffic lights for instance.....oooh look, there's all those red-faced people in their red cars behind me again! They were behind me last night as well, every time I look they are behind me... TWATS! Switch the phuckin' fog-lamps off when the fog has cleared.

I agree, by the way, about the jeep drivers, most of them are arrogant aggressive assholes who seem to look down their noses at anyone that isn't sitting 5 feet off the ground.
    As for when these jeeps happen to be x5s, and are being driven by females...:mad:...please don't get me started on this! I don't like generalising, but why is it that EVERY single non-male x5 driver I've ever encountered has such attitude....they won't allow you out of a side junction, preferring instead to stop on the yellow boxes in the process; stop dead on the road for reasons known only to themselves; indicators are an optional-use accessory; double-parking is allowed whenever they like; disabled-parking bays also double up as x5 bays when not occupied by legit disabled users; the no-stopping zones outside schools apply only to the rest of us, hands-free phone kits don't seem work in an x5, and on and on....
    (BTW, the small 'x' is intentional:P)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,973 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sure, locked up was not correct. If you read my post correctly you would have noticed I suggested she braked dangerously heavily right at the sign. You are trained to anticipate everything on the roads. The signs are big enough and noticable enough to ammened your speed before and after the sign not put your foot to the floor right at the signpost and the same goes to the sign when entering a higher speed limit.

She is correct to adhere to the speed limits but it how she got to the speed that I am concerned about.

If someone braking heavily in front of you puts you in danger you are not keeping a safe distance from them. It could be them braking for a speed limit sign; it could be them braking for a child running in front of them.

Anyway, surely you'd have seen the sign and were slowing down for it at this stage anyway?

Anyway, the worst drivers on the road are;

Old drivers, bus drivers, young drivers, taxi drivers, truck drivers, van drivers, motorbikers, boyracer drivers, country drivers...etc

They come from everywhere.
    A good hint of someones driving ability is how they use a roundabout though..through their indication and their positioning.

Sorry, I don't get it. She used her brakes.

If she deployed a drogue chute I'd be startled, but applying the brakes is an accepted method for slowing a car down, and she did it right where you'd expect her to slow down, at a speed limit zone.

If that "frightens the pants off you", consider what will happen if someone with real brakes like a Porsche has to do an emergency stop from 100 in front of you.

Zube wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't get it. She used her brakes.

If she deployed a drogue chute I'd be startled, but applying the brakes is an accepted method for slowing a car down, and she did it right where you'd expect her to slow down, at a speed limit zone.

If that "frightens the pants off you", consider what will happen if someone with real brakes like a Porsche has to do an emergency stop from 100 in front of you.

Zube your seeing things from your point of view only.

The fact she floors the brakes and the back of the car rises up from the heavy braking is not correct.

I had already said I was a safe distance. I always am but her heavy braking is not good for the car, the environment or for the sanity of other road users. She did this at numerous speed limits.

It is not the correct way to drive a car and I was, contrary to whatever your going to say next, driving correctly and to the letter of the law and sensibly.

Heck, I will let you have the last word on this because you will no doubt wish to challenege.........

• Registered Users Posts: 68,973 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How was it not 'to the letter of the law', pray tell?

MYOB wrote: »
    How was it not 'to the letter of the law', pray tell?

I said " I was, contrary ................blah blah..............driving to the correct letter of the law"

• Advertisement

Heck, I will let you have the last word on this because you will no doubt wish to challenege.........

This is too bizarre, I've got nothing.

Advertisement