Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who are the worst drivers on Irish Roads?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

I hate the lane jumpers, the ones who blow up the over taking lane at blistering speeds, when theres a car only doing 120/140kph, they shoot into the middle lane, quickly followed by a sprint up the inside of everyone else, undertaking until they come to a truck then back to middle back to over taking. I reckon its mostly reps /Uk reg's / foreigners, oh and the odd Cork reg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

*Fiat Cinquecento drivers.
    *Old people, really old people.
    *Automatic Nissan Micra drivers.
    *Young women drivers who just bought their first "proper car" and are scared sh1tless to go ove 40 M.P.H.
    *HALF the tools in souped up Civics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

jaybee747 wrote: »
    I hate the lane jumpers, the ones who blow up the over taking lane at blistering speeds, when theres a car only doing 120/140kph, they shoot into the middle lane, quickly followed by a sprint up the inside of everyone else, undertaking until they come to a truck then back to middle back to over taking. I reckon its mostly reps /Uk reg's / foreigners, oh and the odd Cork reg.

Yeah, but it's the doozers who let them in at the top of the queue that grind my gears (usually auto Micra drivers, dumb enough to call it christian motoring:mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If theres space to undertake the car in the outside lane, why is it in the outside lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

itarumaa wrote: »
    The good thing with the traffic in Ireland is that nothing suprizes you anymore.

If I see a tractor in motorway, completely normal, well for Ireland it is.

If I see a horse coming at opposite of me in country road, that is completely normal as well.

If you see car reversing out of the motorway, well that is just Irish way of driving.

I used to use horn, but not anymore, because driving standards are so crap anyway and if you use horn you only get mad yourself.

So now I just enjoy this craziness every day, and I really start to believe that there are no rules in the traffic at all, enything goes, just don´t crash.

Dont forget cows, and ducks and chickens, seen them in the middle of teh road too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Thats the point though, its an overtaking lane, only to be used when overtaking. The other cars shouldnt be in that lane unless they are overtaking which they are obvioulsy not if a car can go faster than them in the "slow" lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

when i am driving in ireland i find most irish drivers are very good drivers, and will pull to one side if i am driving faster than them--it maybe because of my UK number plates-but off the motorways i find HGV drivers will put you in a ditch if you are not careful--and when you pass that 9 year old kid driving that tractor -sh...t

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ergonomics wrote: »
    Tipperary Drivers, particularly those between Tipperary Town and Limerick. They generally don't drive faster than 60km/h and at night they never use their main beams.

Have experienced that too!! No hard shoulder (not that they'd pullover anyhow...) and constant stream of oncoming traffic, so little overtaking chances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Years ago HGV/artic drivers were the best most courteous drivers that you could meet on the road. They always pulled over to let you pass, would let you out at junctions etc etc..

I don't know if its the influx of foreign lorry drivers or just economic pressure but most of them nowadays seem to hog the road and don't give an inch anymore.
    This results in massive snakes of traffic on the N roads doing 80kph (why is it always 80kph???) with 2 or 3 40ft artics nose-to-tail at the front of it so nobody can overtake.

Anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i notice a lot of the serious accidents on the UK motorways are by foreign truck drivers one only yesterday by a portuguese driver a welsh family and kids killed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

surely with the amount of fatal accidents in co. donegal it has to be the people of donegal and neighbouring counties from the six counties who are the worst drivers.

as for roundabouts i hav just about given up on trusting anyother driver when approachinh one even if they are indicating you still don't know if they are going to what they indicate:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Tipperary North TN reg awful in general.

Found one such chap slumped at the wheel of a TN vehicle one dark night, parked in the middle of the Limerick-Broadford road, with lights off and engine running - I **** you not. Luckily I was going slow around the bend and didn't fly into the back of him. On opening the door to see if he had a heart attack or something, the smell of liquor nearly floored me. I shook him and after a while he came round and stared at me. He then proceeded to close the door and drive off. Shoulda called guards but was too stunned.

Have seen some awful stuff around the square in Newcastle West in West Limerick but luckily these kind don't leave their area much.

villager wrote: »
    surely with the amount of fatal accidents in co. donegal it has to be the people of donegal and neighbouring counties from the six counties who are the worst drivers.

Compare the state of the roads in Donegal and West Northern Ireland to the rest of the country first....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

SteveC wrote: »
    Years ago HGV/artic drivers were the best most courteous drivers that you could meet on the road. They always pulled over to let you pass, would let you out at junctions etc etc..

I don't know if its the influx of foreign lorry drivers or just economic pressure but most of them nowadays seem to hog the road and don't give an inch anymore.
    This results in massive snakes of traffic on the N roads doing 80kph (why is it always 80kph???) with 2 or 3 40ft artics nose-to-tail at the front of it so nobody can overtake.

Anyone else notice this?
    +1
    Foreign drivers and just more traffic. I have spoken to Irish HGV drivers and asked this question. The response...."I couldn't be bothered my bollox any more. They just don't give any acknolagement and won't leave you back out. So Fu*k them"
    I have seen this with my own eyes on the Cork to Mallow road. A truck does the decent thing and when the hard shoulder ends everyone speeds up to get past the truck, keeping him inside. The driver of the truck has to be very agressive to get back out.
    I know it has been flogged to death but this very morning, on route to work on the South Link in Cork, in the overtaking lane, an Avensis (01 C xxx). Doing 100kph. And not moving in. From the Bandon road roundabout until the Douglas turn off, I must have flashed him 4 or 5 times, This was at 7:15am so there was NO way he didn't see me. The lights lit up the inside of his car. There was on coming traffic so I couldnt, (and wouldn't) leave them on.3 different cars passed me and numb nuts in front of me on the inside lanes. I was patient (mostly because I was heading in early and I was in no partucilar rush) and I just wanted to see if he would move in or not. Nope afraid not.
    Asshole.I turned off @ the next turn off looked in the mirror and there he was in the Overtaking lane with full beams on (for me I'd say) and no other car in sight accept the few stuck behind him.
    Asshole!!!
    I cannot stress this enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

MYOB wrote: »
    Compare the state of the roads in Donegal and West Northern Ireland to the rest of the country first....

Also the amount or lack of guards in these areas. Northern reg cars can't be done for speed either.
    I see this every x-mas when I visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Anyone who has not driven outside of Ireland and/or never had professional driving lessons.

I second that. Standard of driving is bad in general. Kilkenny drivers are shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I said " ................blah blah.............."
    You sure did.
    First post of yours I've agreed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Nice.

Earlier on this morning I mentioned a guy left the Maldron Hotel/Limerick Test Centre after failing his driving test and drove off in his beat up Micra. He was parked next to me(just about) and I could hear him regail his mother with all the things he failed on. A lot of things.

You wont guess what. After he drove off on his own I guess I would not see him again.

On Clare St outside Portleys bar in Limerick there he was with his front bumper mashed into the rear bumper of another car 9 hours later.

I guess It goes to prove that we are behind the times If we are leaving him drive along on his own.

Sure people on this forum will say its ok because he will be covered by his Insurance company. However, if he was not allowed drive on his own then he would not have rear ended another car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I guess It goes to prove that we are behind the times If we are leaving him drive along on his own.

I agree, It's utter madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I agree with some people that say black drivers are terrible. Especially nigerian women with big hats. But most are learning and will improve (to the irish standards!)
    But take a drive in Lagos or Accra, not sure how they drive so slow here. I go to accra once a year, don't think I'd ever get used to driving there! You almost have to hit someone to get out through traffic.

I used to drive a motorcycle through the city to the commuter belt and found truck and bus drivers to be the best. Dublin bus drivers always let bikes in front of them, or wave them into the bus lane in front of them when they're at a stop. Taxi drivers were ok too.
    I hate drivers that don't wave or flash their hazzards when you let them out. After 2 or 3 do it I'm thinking "i'm never letting anyone out EVER again", but always crack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Lumen wrote: »
    "Foreign national" is such a ridiculous expression.

What's wrong with "foreigner"?
    Yes!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

At least it's waaayyyyyy better than "non national"....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Anything like the English guy I worked with complaining about all these "foreigners" bringing their driving habits over here.

I gave him one of those raised eyebrow looks. His response was " I know, I know Im a foreigner as well but I dont count because Im English". We always hopping back and forward between each others countries.

Maybe the Eastern Block will say the same in a few years to come or maybe 800 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

my dad generalises about people with caps on while driving ? where did *that* come from

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Serge

When you speak about foreigners...

As i know so far in Eastern European countries you have to pass few good test for theory and driving practice in private driving school and after there is very serious test for national driving license. So is in Poland, Lithuania, Latvia etc.

Most foreign national are driving here very good and professionally

And everywhere, in every country, there are good drivers and bad drivers.
    But not in every country you could buy a license from the post office and not in every country you could go on the roads just passing theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Every driver except me is an idiot.

Rabble rabble rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Nearly as bad as African American....does that not infer that all Africans are black?

Not all Africans are black. There are plenty of white people in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JB04

The worst have to be the DL registered cars that drive through Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

samhail wrote: »
    my dad generalises about people with caps on while driving ? where did *that* come from
    Y would u wear a cap while driving???????
    bigkev49 wrote: »
    RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Every driver except me is an idiot.

Rabble rabble rabble.

U don't happen to go to ITT Dublin do you?

• Advertisement

samhail wrote: »

Caps when driving are generally worn by:

1: Old duffers that do 55kph - no matter what road/conditions/etc
    2: Skangers in cars that have clearly crashed in to Halfords at high speed

thats where that comes from...

Advertisement